More spray booth questions

Hey guys,

I am looking at getting one of those portable spray booths. Does any one here use them? If so is it quiet? I am in an apartment with no noise insulation, so looking for an ultra quiet unit. Oh, and does it filter out all of the particulate? Or would it leave a mark on the wall if it's not vented out a window? And even if it does, does it need to be vented outside?

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave,

I have a Delta spray painting booth. While it isn't silent, it's fairly quiet. Say like quiet music in the next room.

It is very effective in reducing overspray and fumes. I currently vent mine to a box with an outlet that fits into a sliding window frame. No noticeable odours out there when I'm painting enamels. Alclad is different. :)

At the moment, I'm investigating activated carbon air filters, intended as plumbing educt vent odour removers, for a closed room situation. This may be the path you need to take.

Good luck in your investigations.

G

Dave--if you use enamels or lacquers, you will have to vent outside, as the filters on most (if not all) hobby spray booths will not absorb the fumes. I've seen a few You Tube reviews of this model and it gets generally good marks and sounds fairly quiet (a couple of reviewers turn it on and continue narrating without a problem). You can also check out the Amazon reviews of it, which are mostly positive.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm considering purchasing a Pace Peacekeeper Deluxe paint booth. Anyone have one of these? Are they worth the expense?

Short Answer - Yes

I have one, and it is very nice, worth every penny. It is well built, big enough to handle just about any project. The motor is powerfull, it sucks all the fumes out of the room you are spraying in.

If you are building your own and plan to vent outside then you really need to look at the CFM of the motor. This is especially true if there is any distance between the booth and the outside. If you have any length of exhaust tube or if there are bends in it, the CFM has to be surprisingly high to effectively exhaust the fumes. If you look up CFM there are charts showing how much is required for each bend or each foot of tube.

I mostly spray acrylics but sometimes primer, lacquer... so a squirrel cage is a must to prevent any possible sparking (although I think it would be very rare).

Hey Dave, You can build one that will cost much less than purchasing a commercial one. I built one that I have used for years. Just google for the info and you'll be on your way. One very important thing that was mentioned earlier. Use a squirrel cage fan and vent the fumes outside. I have 12 feet of 4 or 6 inch flexible dryer hose that I run out the window of my basement. Good Luck.