Random thoughts from 2015 Nats

Hi Chuck

The bottom line is that if you are going to enter something at the IPMS USA Nationals you pretty much have to build to an entirely different level. You may be competing against guys who have spent over a year on one model. Personally I don’t think I can do that but I don not begrudge anyone else who does. I wish I had the skills and time to do that. I am in awe of them.

In your case, your detail is first rate. Take for example your A-10. I can see a couple of items that would knock it down a little but no question you will make the initial and other cuts. You really have to be brutally honest at the national level with what you are submitting. I have even asked others to check my work since you are so close when building that you miss stuff.

I am going to try and get something finished for the 2017 show but it will probably be OOB and something small so that it will fit in a small box that I can carry on board the plane unless we decide to drive. I was thinking about a 1/72nd 109 but that is just crazy talk

The next time I see you we can sit down for a drink and we can wax physiological about this. Sorry for being so long winded too. Also these are just my opinions based on past experience.

Thanks Chris for all that, which is the stuff I was really looking for. Having experienced our local contests and the Nats gives you great perspective on what the quality differences are.

As far as my A-10 is concerned, I would never bring it to the Nats, even if I could get it there and back safely. It was a tortuous 14 months of the kit fighting me every step of the way and I am now proud of how it turned out, even if it still has some flaws. I can also see the potential for deductions for things I wanted on this model, like a dark wash in the panel lines that really stand out and other panel lines with no wash at all, because they are very subtle on the real deal. To some, it might look like a mistake, even though it was intentional. It did pretty good at Nanton as you know, so I can't complain.

As you may know, I used to complain about model contest judging criteria, etc. and how "unfair" it was that a model heavily modified and much more involved and interesting to look at would lose to a simple almost OOB build that was super clean, but boring. I get it now, the clean build will win every time, but that won't change my modeling style. "If it isn't modified, it isn't any fun"! ;)

As you may know, I used to complain about model contest judging criteria, etc. and how "unfair" it was that a model heavily modified and much more involved and interesting to look at would lose to a simple almost OOB build that was super clean, but boring. I get it now, the clean build will win every time, but that won't change my modeling style. "If it isn't modified, it isn't any fun"! ;)/>

Actually, that's not accurate. I have seen many a weathered (overweathered, in fact) win because they are beautifully built. If all the construction, paint, and decals are spot on, the weathering won't matter.

Actually, that's not accurate. I have seen many a weathered (overweathered, in fact) win because they are beautifully built. If all the construction, paint, and decals are spot on, the weathering won't matter.

Sorry Darren. By "clean" I meant flawless, although I do see a lot of totally unweathered builds win too, even though they look like toys to my eye.

At the US Nats there is no separate category for OOB models and it is part of the regular categories. I have seen it many times where an OOB entry has come in first over other detailed entries in the category. Basics were simply better.

Wrong! There most certainly are OOB categories at the Nats. This year in aircraft alone there were 9 OOB categories. Winners can be seen here starting part way down on page 9.

http://svsm.org/gallery/columbus2015-winners?page=9

On the other hand, you are spot on regarding nailing the basics. That is the key to a chance at winning.

Cheers,

Eric

Edited by Eric Larson

Wrong! There most certainly are OOB categories at the Nats. This year in aircraft alone there were 9 OOB categories. Winners can be seen here starting part way down on page 9.

http://svsm.org/gallery/columbus2015-winners?page=9

On the other hand, you are spot on regarding nailing the basics. That is the key to a chance at winning.

Cheers,

Eric

Thanks for the info Eric. The rules must have changed as I do recall several years ago they were mixed into the regular categories. Sorry about that.

Chuck - you did such a nice job with your A-10, but it's really hard for people who haven't built one to sometimes appreciate all that went into it. The contest has limitations - and if I start with a 1/32 Tamiya F-16, add a resin gear well, ejection seat and wheels - all I'd have to focus on is not ham-fisting the paint and decals. You'd have done a tremendous amount more - but odds are the Viper will do really well. Effort doesn't count - and as many have said - the basics will eliminate most. But... Most would really enjoy seeing your A-10 in person - I know I would. That's the thing about contests and local meetings - the ability to show your work to those who really appreciate it.

The point should be about enjoying the build - the way you want to, and having the opportunity to have people look at, and appreciate it. We don't need a trophy to validate ourselves, or our work - if you need that from others - you (and I don't mean "you" personally Chuck) don't give yourself enough credit.

Some have knocked the Nationals - and I think they miss the point. I go to hang out with like minded individuals - catch up with friends - enjoy the displays - spend some money. It's all good. The Interweb has changed some of this - yes, you can get more Intel online - so??? I bought the new 1/48 F-16XL at the show. I wasn't going to based on what I saw online. Seeing it in person though - the detail was great - excellent decal sheet by Cartograf - sold... Some have complained that there weren't any "deals" - well - you weren't looking hard enough. I got some great bargains - spent a lot more than I'd planned to - and let's face it - we all have more in our closet than we'll ever need. There's always going to be "something" - as in life, all you really have control of is your attitude.

Time is in shortest supply for most of us - go enjoy the time with your friends, appreciate the show for what it is. Build for yourself - an award is always nice - but shouldn't be the end goal.

Hope to see you guys in Columbia -

Hitch

SNIP...

Some have knocked the Nationals - and I think they miss the point. I go to hang out with like minded individuals - catch up with friends - enjoy the displays - spend some money. It's all good. The Interweb has changed some of this - yes, you can get more Intel online - so??? I bought the new 1/48 F-16XL at the show. I wasn't going to based on what I saw online. Seeing it in person though - the detail was great - excellent decal sheet by Cartograf - sold... Some have complained that there weren't any "deals" - well - you weren't looking hard enough. I got some great bargains - spent a lot more than I'd planned to - and let's face it - we all have more in our closet than we'll ever need. There's always going to be "something" - as in life, all you really have control of is your attitude.

Time is in shortest supply for most of us - go enjoy the time with your friends, appreciate the show for what it is. Build for yourself - an award is always nice - but shouldn't be the end goal.

Hope to see you guys in Columbia -

Hitch

Hitch

What a great reply. That is my attitude too. In fact for the last two nationals I have been to, I entered nothing since my stuff was not good enough. What was really good for me was seeing really good friends I correspond with on line and do not get to see too often. I met friends from the US and from all parts of Canada. Really good times were had over some brews. Too many in most cases.

As you say you can always find deals but for me it is easy to stay focused since when travelling by air those large kits are not going to fit in your luggage. Decals and resin can though so those sellers made a mint off of me.

Trying to get to Omaha and hopefully that comes to pass.

Sorry Darren. By "clean" I meant flawless, although I do see a lot of totally unweathered builds win too, even though they look like toys to my eye.

Ah, got it. Sorry about the misunderstanding. I see what you're saying. I will say that when judging at Nats, if all things were equal, we would award the more involved build.