1/48 scale Su-27UB from Hobby Boss

I have uploaded them to my website..... here

So..... savage away - but remember this is (apparently) a test shot.

First things that stand out for me is that it is scaled up from Trumpeters 1/72 scale kit - and it still has those angled main wheel wells.

This for me is no big deal breaker - they are mostly hidden when you attach the air intakes - but I know some of you can't live with it.

I like the simplified intakes - without the separate blow-in doors - but with the correct number of them!

There are two sets of jet nozzles - open and closed - which is a first.

The canopy has the correct Omega cross-section - you can fight it out for the profile shape.

I'll reserve judgement on the rest - but it has to be better than the too-short Academy/Eduard kit.

Happy Flankering :thumbsup:

Ken

Yup better than Academy so far. No doubt there will be aftermarket. Not crazy about the the quality of the closed nozzles but nice that they are present. Missiles are nice if a little under detailed. Has HB been known to include some PE in their offerings?

Yup better than Academy so far. No doubt there will be aftermarket. Not crazy about the the quality of the closed nozzles but nice that they are present. Missiles are nice if a little under detailed. Has HB been known to include some PE in their offerings?

Yeah, the overall level of detail seems disappointing compared to some other Trumpeter stuff in that scale, presumably due to the upscaling from 1/72? I'm no expert, but the front canopy reminds me of their 1/32 one (as on the link posted on the top of the page) which looked too narrow and sharp. The whole canopy could be somewhat undersized from looking at the side profile as the front fuselage seems a bit thin - I'm probably wrong due to reflections, but I don't get that double seater vibe from the photos when looking at it.

Still, probably a better starting point than the Academy one, especially the included weapons (which were useless in the base Academy kit). But, aftermarket cockpit seems like a must and the exhausts should have been better detailed, too. Regarding the PE, I surely hope so as those plastic intake grills look terrible.

I was really waiting for this, but now just hope it won't be too expensive (if so, might consider the Academy one) as I'm not exactly psyched about what's been shown here.

Edited by ijozic

Definitly an improvement over the Academy kit in many ways.

Unfortunately it seems they carried over all errors from the 1/32 (and 1/72) kit. The front canopy is still too narrow and pinched in profile. Seems the Fairy Hobby canopy will still be of use.

The shape of the Alamo missiles is off as well (diameter tapering down towards the tip instead of remaining continuous).

Nonetheless I'm really happy we finally see some plastic. Can't wait to see it released.

Is there actually any Chinese Flanker pilot who would be stupid enough to pull a stunt like that with a P-8?

Maybe not yet but given there have been two collisions between Chinese fighters and US Navy patrol aircraft since 01 is it only a matter of time...?

Edited by dehowie

Maybe not yet but given there have been two collisions between Chinese fighters and US Navy patrol aircraft since 01 is it only a matter of time...?

2 collisions? I thought there was only the one involving a J-8 and an EP-3?

Mark

Is there actually any Chinese Flanker pilot who would be stupid enough to pull a stunt like that with a P-8?

well there was that guy who crashed after hitting the elint plane, hed apparently show you a banner with his email on it so he could talk smack to you, apparently no chute was seen after the collision he caused

first, many thanks to Alex and Ken, for sharing those first test-shots pictures.

i'm happy it's longer than the Academy kit... more than that... it's hard to tell.

i also like the simpler intake trunking design... i'll hold to myself any critique or nitpicking, and wait for production item...

and, as i prefers the single seater over the twin seater, i might pass that one and wait the other... anyway, i already have 8 academy flanker in my stash...

for the moment i'll keep my money for the upcoming AMK 1/48 MiG-31... and for that 1/48 Su-33...

we had done it in 2014.0878f2bd8bgw1eujlj6vt9tj20c81addj4.jpg :rolleyes:/>

First things that stand out for me is that it is scaled up from Trumpeters 1/72 scale kit - and it still has those angled main wheel wells.

Ken

Sigh. They fixed it for their 1/72 J-15/Su-33 iirc, how hard could it actually be to adjust the CAD.

Also, are those missiles body parts actually made from 2 pieces? With huge seams running across?!?! W...T...H...

HB_Su-27UB_009.jpg

What is the logic behind that?

The canopy and windshield looks comically wrong;

HB_Su-27UB_016.jpg

vs (actually early soviet Su-30, but it does not matter);

NerE0Es.jpg

Not seen from this angle but the canopy is also still "pinched" as on the 1/32 scale kit. In fact it looks like a direct scale down. I don't think the fuselage sides are fixed either.

PS; I am selling 2 Su-27 and 1 Su-27UB Fairy Hobby canopies if anyone is interested.

Edited by Berkut