RAF pathfinders paired with 106 bombers

I don;t know if this is the proper place to ask, but I thought it would be a good start.

My father flew as a navigator in RAF Lancasters in 106 sq., based out of Syerston.

I want to know what squadron(s) of "pathfinder" Mosquitos likely would have been paired with the Lancs of 106 squadron.

I have the 1/32 HKM Mosquito, so I am wanting to put it in markings of the proper pathfinder squadron, if we can figure out which one.

If there are other, more appropriate places to look... specific sites/links would be appreciated.

(And before someone is tempted to make a "Google is your friend" smart alec remark... yes, I know how to search the Internet, but cross-references between different types of squadrons are not very forthcoming. <_< )

Edited by GlennCauley

I don;t know if this is the proper place to ask, but I thought it would be a good start.

My father flew as a navigator in RAF Lancasters in 106 sq., based out of Syerston.

I want to know what squadron(s) of "pathfinder" Mosquitos likely would have been paired with the Lancs of 106 squadron.

I have the 1/32 HKM Mosquito, so I am wanting to put it in markings of the proper pathfinder squadron, if we can figure out which one.

If there are other, more appropriate places to look... specific sites/links would be appreciated.

(And before someone is tempted to make a "Google is your friend" smart alec remark... yes, I know how to search the Internet, but cross-references between different types of squadrons are not very forthcoming. <_</>/> )

I'm by no means an expert but I don't believe that pathfinder squadrons "paired" with specific bomber command units. They were assigned to mark targets for the main force, not just a single bomber squadron. All that being said, the pathfinders were a pretty cool unit, I think you have a great plan. My guess is that if you pick any pathfinder Mosquito that was in service the same time as your dad, more than likely it would have participated on one of his missions.

Regards,

John

The Pathfinders marked for the main bomber force. 106, as part of 5 Group, wouldn't always have relied upon the Pathfinder Force (8 Group) , since the AOC of 5 Group, Ralph Cochrane, argued that a different approach - which became known as the 'Time and Distance' method - would be of greater utility against difficult targets, as the 5 Group method enabled more precise marking of the target from low level.

As a result, I'd be tempted to suggest that 627 Squadron, which transferred from 8 Group to 5 Group in 1944 might be a decent option. It would've conducted marking for ops of which 106 formed the main striking force (627 also provided the Mosquito (B.XX KB267) in which Guy Gibson flew his final sortie , by the by). I'd say that this means that it's probably the closest thing to the 'paired' squadron you're looking for.

Edited by xv107
  • 1 year later...

In the HK Models 1/32 Mosquito (B Mk.IV) kit, they include decals for No.627 Sqn. DZ637 / AZ-X

However, the instructions indicate that this plane had bulged bomb bay doors (for a cookie).

The paint scheme of this plane also shows invasion strips on the bottom.

If 627 sqn was a pathfinder squadron, would it really have had: a) bulged bomb bay B) invasion strips ?