Navy helicopter crews

Hi

I start this topic with a question :

Which type of flotation collar do these crews wear for operation over water ? LPU-34P ?

Do they use the same in the Marine Corps ?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Norbert

The SV-2/LPU-21 configuration w/HG-84 hit the fleet with me in 1994 (I was in the first batch that was given HGU-84's between winging and leaving Whiting for the FRS) and the first A/P-22 Airsafe vests showed up in 1999, still with the LPU-21 as I left helo's for E-2's. The helo fleet began migrating to the LPU-34 from about 2001 onwards. The CBR gear sucks.

Timing was about the same for fixed wing; in my E-2 squadron with had A/P-22 with LPU-21 until 2002 then moved to the LPU-34. The jet community was on average 18-24 months before that, depending on deployment timing.

I believe that T-34, C-2 and P-3/P-8 stayed with the LPU-21 because the LPU-34 is not compatible with the quick donning parachute.

HTH

Spongebob

does the same kind exist on jet fighters and other carrier planes ?

I'll scan the other pages for you - I picked this up in 2013, so hopefully is still current. Give me a couple of hours and I'll post all the other pages.

Loving your figures by the way

P

HI Norbert,

LPU-21/P and LPU-34/P were/are used on helis.

LPU-23/P and LPU-36/P were/are used on fixed wings.

LPU-XX/P means: Life Preserver UNIT-mod. XX

They are identical with the eception of the inflatable device.

On fixed wings the LP (Life preserver) opens automatically (or manually with the handles) when touching the water.

On helis the LP can be opened only manually when the pilot or any other crew issfely outside the helis. Try to image if a LP opens when the pilot/crew is still inside....

cheers

Maurizio

On fixed wings the LP (Life preserver) opens automatically (or manually with the handles) when touching the water.

Not quite accurate - on ejection seat aircraft the LPU has the auto inflation device; E-2, P-3, etc. do not for the same reason as the helo's - you may need to do an underwater egress. Also, from about 2006 on E-2's equipped with the new parachutes have SEWARS (salt water activated release) and an automatic altitude based opening device which includes and orange "sponge" (similar size/squishiness) on the right strap. Note the parachutes stay in the plane as they are the seatbacks; crew wear torso harnesses.

HTH

Spongebob

• 2 months later...

Hi

Did not progress much, but have this one done. Will be OK for navy, USAF, USMC and even army depending to the period.

35z_zps2w6amzqu.jpg

35zg_zpscqkfpchu.jpg

35ze_zpsddz5njlk.jpg

35Zf_zpsqfveryvk.jpg

The challenge was to do the vrey thin glasses with the whole face behind...

as you can see from his face, he is looking at his MH-60S in maintenance crew hands (Yes, I'm kidding)

Norbert

• 8 months later...

Hi,

Back to modern US Navy : we made a HGU-84/P US Navy helicopter helmet in 2 versions, with or without visor cover.

And full interior like the previous HGU-56/P

35zzzzh_zpsr5fewywn.jpg

35zzzzi_zpspd3mlqgf.jpg

Cheers

Norbert

Hi,

Back to modern US Navy : we made a HGU-84/P US Navy helicopter helmet in 2 versions, with or without visor cover.

And full interior like the previous HGU-56/P

35zzzzh_zpsr5fewywn.jpg

35zzzzi_zpspd3mlqgf.jpg

Cheers

Norbert

I assume the US Navy pilots will be galloping shortly

Hi

added one more deck crew preparing for tie-down (or releasing tie-down), that can be used also with a helicopter.

Will be available in 1/32, 1/35, 1/48 and 1/72.

In 1/32

32ze_zpsaa14rhcb.jpg

In 1/48

48zb_zpsiwio9hnp.jpg

Norbert

• 8 months later...

Hi

Made a second US Navy or USMC helicopter pilot with CMU-33/P survival vest and HGU-84/P helmet, this time looking inside :

35ci_zpsryuasrcq.jpg

35ch_zpsf6jqovdd.jpg

35cj_zpshgk4fkj2.jpg

cheers

Norbert

• 4 months later...

Hi

Did another US Navy helicopter crew, this time sitting at door or on ramp. Another one laying inside will also come soon :

21430206_1694371090604198_47588811198558

21432743_1694371097270864_30461955500436

as you can see, he is not an inflight version, but made for an helicopter on ground that will not take off soon 

cheers

Norbert