KH 1/48 XF5U-1 Flying Pancake!

I would have lost that bet of seeing this in 1/48 in plastic. I seem to recall that there are several in 1/72nd in injection plastic as well as resin.

Sure was an interesting beast.

I didn't say foolish. I'd put this one in the same category though - there are LOTS of other more worthy subjects out there. But I'm not looking a gift pancake in the syrup though.

So, there is a 1/48 kit of the V-173 from Special Hobby. Sprue has it, so does the LHS. At least this one actually flew!

<rant>

And yet, no 1/48 F11F other than the FM kit or Lindbergh's F9F-9!? :explode:/>

</rant>

Best of all, not one has mentioned the blade orientation on this test build.

Perhaps people realize nowadays that test-builds are just to ensure that the fit is good enough ? Blade orientation is 75% ok. It was 100% ok in the CAD snapshots. Just a build error I believe.

I just read that this thing never really flew. It was the earlier version that was flight tested. So an aircraft that never flew, never entered service, and only one was actually completed is a better investment than a F11F Tiger? Ok. I really don't understand the kit making industry.

I'm not American and English is not my first language, but I would buy this waaay before the F11F.

The world is not only the USofA.

Vedran

The milimeter brigade

Exactly. Too much "wahhhh they didn't make the plane I want." The rate these kits are popping out we are probably going to see every aircraft ever built, flown or conceived reproduced in plastic form.

Edited by James

It's just one of those planes that you have to really, really, really wish would have flown and been evaluated. It wasn't going to out perform the jets coming down the pipe, but it seems like a waste to just bust it up with a wrecking ball. The aviation enthusiast in me wishes it so.

Rick L.

I love the access ladder - more a stairway - leading to the cockpit...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/7/6074/6056443490_d84b5e077b_z.jpg

I can remember scratch- building one in 1/72 scale millions of years ago - IIRC I used the engine nacelles from a Meteor as a starting point.

My mate John scratched the V-173 to go with it - all this before any kits were available.

Ken

Perhaps people realize nowadays that test-builds are just to ensure that the fit is good enough ? Blade orientation is 75% ok. It was 100% ok in the CAD snapshots. Just a build error I believe.

I am presuming by "orientation" it is meant that the model is showing two starboard props. Unless (which I doubt) the prop blade airfoil sections were 100% symmetrical. This aircraft had the same prop rotation configuration as the P-38 in order to attempt and nullify wing tip vortices'. This is a lot of "hoopla" for an aircraft which NEVER got off the ground. I would much rather see a model of a Moonbat or a Grizzly which were both phenomenal aircraft and both flew. The grizzly would have been lust awesome if it would have come into full production. I am not aware of any other aircraft which had two R-3350s.

Moonbat

Edited by Otto

I am not aware of any other aircraft which had two R-3350s.

2xR-3350 aircraft other than the Grizzly:

Boeing XPBB Sea Ranger

Fairchild C-119

Lockheed P2V Neptune

Martin P5M Marlin

Stroukoff YC-134

I did forget about the c-119, mostly because many of them also had R-4360s. But none of these could even come close to approaching 400mph like the Grizzly could.so please let me rephrase the statement to "combat aircraft"

Edited by Otto