Space Shuttle Challenger STS-51L

Excellent job on those SSME's! The pipes you fabricated did the trick! How did those Rockwell decals work for the engine covers? Was the diameter big enough? I think I made them to fit Bill's 3D printed nozzles so not sure how that fares with the kit parts.

Thanks Hotdog!!! And thanks again for the decals. Like I said before, your art work and attention to detail really make these decals very impressive and they stand out. The diameter of the decals are just the right size. The reason why you see a darker ring is because of the paint. When I used those on Columbia, I used the decals on SSME's provided by Real Space Models. The diameter of the nozzles were a little bit bigger than the ones that Airfix molds in the kits. So there was some space that I had to cover with paint. For some reason, I did not take that into consideration that the decals were specific to the Airfix model. So I prepainted the covers to take care of the space in between. Oh well. Gives it a little character.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Major Walt for the kind words and inspiring thoughts. It is hard to believe that in a couple of months it will mark 30 years since that tragic day.

Here's a little bit of an update on the project.

I'm still working on getting all of the feed lines sorted out on the external tank. I'm at a stand still with the brackets. Looking at the base, they seem too thick. So, I may take them off and use a thinner piece of styrene.

But until then, I have also been working on the boosters. All of the sanding is done, but there are a few spots where I need to apply more putty. I managed to miss the recessed areas from the mold injection areas. When I get around to doing that, I will also apply the putty to the areas of the field joints that contain instafoam.

One thing that I noticed on the booster nozzle skirts is that the molded area was smaller than what it should be. So I added some milliput and putty to make the ring a little larger and to add insulation around the cones.

Challenger30%20768x1024_zpsnmby3r2b.jpg

Challenger31%20768x1024_zps5lomypm3.jpg

I have also started to modify the kits separation motors. For some reason, all of the model kits molded the motors without the top portion of insulation. So I decided to use styrene to block the top of them. I then plan on using some putty to fill in and do a final shaping of them. I'm hoping it will turn out ok.

Challenger%2032%201024x768_zpszpwab6w3.jpg

I apologize for dragging my feet a little on this project and the poor quality of the photo above. I've got a lot going on, especially coming up in the next few weeks. But as I chip away at it, I'll let you know.

Have a good weekend everyone.:thumbsup:/>/>

Mike

• 2 months later...

w00t.gif/>And while I work on Discovery, I also have some challenges that I'm working out on Challenger.

Although it would be easier just to purchase a set of main engines from Shapeways or Real Space Models, I decided to use the set that was provided with the rest of the model set from Airfix.

Somewhere in the forum I saw someone take a set of main engines, file down the molded lines and create new ones using copper wire. And that's what I desided to do. It may be the harder way of doing things, but I think it's much more of a satisfaction when you can scratch build something.

In addition to the SSME's, I'm slowely chipping away at the External Tank. Now that the reinforcement stringers are all in place it's time to start laying the fuel lines. One item that was missing on the Airfix model was the hood for the larger line. Since I have an enhancement set for the Discovery project, I took the hood off of the Revell ET and used it on the Airfix tank.

Challenger21%20768x1024_zpszlowohyz.jpg

Challenger20%20768x1024_zpsl7vjtl4a.jpg

Challenger23%20768x1024_zpsyjpfjjsq.jpg

That takes care of that. Now I've got to lay down the smaller lines. But before I can do that, I need to make bracket bases. Which should be fun.w00t.gif/>

Here's a cool vid of the Endeavour's external tank floating away after being jettisoned:

• 1 month later...

Hello to all of my space modeling friends. I do apologize for being away for the last few months. My house remodel has taken up a lot of my time and has forced me to box up most of my projects to protect them from the drywall dust and moving items around. I finally have been able to break open a box to continue working on Challenger.:woo:/>It's been quite a while since I've seen these items. They're quite dusty. Anyhow, I have continued working on the External Tank. I took off the pipe brackets because the styrene I used was a bit thicker than I liked. So I made them a little thinner and they look much better now. Tomorrow I'll start laying the fuel lines. I will also get some photos up too.

All of your guys' projects are looking wonderful. Keep up the great work!

Mike

I know how you feel! I have only recently begun to unbox all of my hobby stuff after moving and remodeling last year. Looking forward to seeing you get back to this one!

Hello all...

Here's a real quick update on what I've done over the past few days.

I removed the enlarged brackets and replaced them with thinner ones, which makes it look better. I compared it with what I did with Columbia and now it looks better. Now I've come to a new problem. I ran out of tube styrene for the piping. Looks like a trip to the hobby shop.

Challenger%2033%201024x768_zpshx8iygey.jpg

While I wait for some more styrene, I went ahead and continued working on the SRB's. I find that Squadron putty works well to form the Instafoam that wraps around the lower segments of the boosters.

Challenger%2034%201024x768_zpsl2zs7cis.jpg

And finally, a comparison of the sister orbiters. I don't know if you can tell, but I got a hold of pastel sticks. I tried to make the nose on Challenger look like it's seen a few reentries. And I didn't realize that I never finished applying the decals on Columbia. But, I thought I may go back and cover the cabin area with the tile decals like I did with Challenger.

Challenger%2035%201024x768_zpsqyjfgvo0.jpg

Well, that's all for now. Back to hanging more drywall this weekend.

Mike

Alrighty.

After a weekend of hanging drywall, I managed to find some time to work on this project. This week I have been focused in on getting the External Tank wrapped up, and I'm fairly close.

I got all of the brackets replaced, made a trip to the hobby shop and bought the right size tubing for the LOX and LH2 lines and placed the bi-pod on the tank. One thing that I have noticed with these Airfix models (and it's really not a big deal) is that the bi-pod bracket and the main orbiter bracket at the base of the tank, are too far apart. If I were to place the bi-pod in the spot it supposed to be, it would locate near the middle of the nose gear doors. So a little modification was made by drilling a few holes further down on the tank. It lines the brackets up and the shuttle now fits the way it's supposed too.

Challenger%2036%201024x768_zpsptdpzhvd.jpg

Challenger%2037%201024x768_zpsktnoj8pj.jpg

It's just about time to paint the backbone of the stack. Just a few more additions on the SRB's, gathering the right color of paints and go to town on it.

More to come later.:woot.gif:/>/>

• 3 months later...

Hey Mike,

what's going on, there is a long time to see nothing new, any progress? :hmmm:/>

Can't wait to see your next steps. up040577.gif

RolandChayerByeByeSmiley.gif

I'm still chipping away at it. I've been really busy with my new job and trying to finish my remodel on my house.

Not to worry though. I'll get some progress up when I get a chance.

Thanks for the inquiry.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Hello all.

I apologize for my absence of late. I have finally gotten to a point in a very busy life, that I can sit down and unwind from the world and continue on with my model projects. Although it's been crazy busy for me as of late, I still have been able to keep up with all of your threads. Which has definitely kept me wanting to get back to what I've started.

Hotdog. Your MLP for your Bandi shuttle has turned out great, and I'm keeping a very close eye on your Saturn V rocket build for I plan on one day getting to mine. Which sits on the shelf collecting dust. You've brought up some great points and I'll be saving up money to purchase all of the aftermarket parts.

Manfred. Your MLP is just mind blowing. I still can't believe, after these last few years I've been watching, how detailed you are with your project. I haven't even begun on how to approach my Launch Tower and Launch Pad. Keep up the great work.

And all of the Lunar Modules are awesome.

So here's what I've been able to do in the last few weeks with Challenger. I've turned my attention to working on the Solid Rocket Boosters. Since the orbiter has been done for awhile and still gathering coloring for the External tank, I figured the boosters would be and easy job. And really, I've had them pretty much done for some time. Just needed to put the final touches on it.

So of course, need to start with the masking. These boosters were one of a kind. The sigment rings are not black, but an off white color and the last of which did not have insta-foam around the attachment rings.

Challenger%2038%201024x768_zpsuwcjt3hm.jpg

and after the paint job.....

Challenger%2039%201024x768_zps5wxu77vm.jpg

After the paint had cured, it was time for the decals. I have only done the top of the rocket for right now, but it turned out wonderful. These decals were provided by Hotdog, his attention to detail putting together an exquisite piece of work is a wonderful addition to my project.

Challenger%2040%201024x768_zpsmdwfbvtr.jpg

Challenger%2041%201024x768_zps65zjgq5e.jpg

And that's on the top of the booster. Just wait until the rest gets applied.....

Hopefully within the next few weeks I'll get another update in.

Until next time....:salute:/>

Glad to see you back and working on this project again. Those boosters are looking great so far. And the frustum and nose decals, I must say, you have made them look fantastic! I knew I had them in the ballpark, but I wasn't sure how they'd look once they were properly applied to a painted booster. Since I did not include the separation motors in the decal artwork, how do you plan to represent those?

• 1 year later...

Wow. What happened to all my photos?  I know it’s been awhile but there’s no need to scrap my build. I do plan on finishing my projects. I’ve just been so busy this past year and haven’t been able to continue. 

Hey Hotdog. Have you gotten further on your decal project?  Would like to hit you up for another set. 

Ill get get something up soon for both Challenger and Discovery. As soon as I find a new photo sharing site. 

Mike

3 hours ago, egt95 said:

Wow. What happened to all my photos?  I know it’s been awhile but there’s no need to scrap my build. I do plan on finishing my projects. I’ve just been so busy this past year and haven’t been able to continue. 

Ill get get something up soon for both Challenger and Discovery. As soon as I find a new photo sharing site. 

Nice welcome back isn't it? It's happened to us all ... as a matter of fact, I'm only now in the process of repopulating some of my older threads. I bought a subscription to FOTKI. I got 5 years for about $100. Because I think all the free photo storage sites will go the pay route.

There was a huge discussion in either the General Discussion or Tips and Tricks forums here on ARC last summer. If you go through 'em, you'll see a lot of suggestions for alternate free photo sites.

Thanx for those articles southwestforests ... it filled in a few blanks for me.

Pete

1515900715142-vi.jpg?1515900715142

Hey all. 

This is one of the past Challenger photos tha was posted a while ago. I’m looking for a photo sharing site so I can fix this build and get back work on it. So basically it’s a test run. 

Mike

Isn't it FUN-N-N-n-n-n??  :woot.gif: :clap2:

I'm in the process of doing 2 more and have a few already updated, and the time it takes ... sheesh.  :whistle:

However, having said this, it IS enjoyable to go back over these builds that are 4 or 5 or 6 years old and re-visit the experience pf building these models. 

I can't believe, like the Shuttle Cutaway, that I did it 6 or 7 years ago-o-o-o! Has that much time really gone by that quickly?

But know this Mike, we viewers will appreciate seeing images on your builds ... !

Thanx

Pete

• 1 year later...

So...one year later...still at it? This is a nice coincidence: I'm planning a Challenger 51L build too. Already have the kit (Revell did a reissue of the full stack kit with launch tower) and the New Ware detail set and Warbird decal sets. Now I just have to wait untill I've moved house and my hobby room is ready. This build is a nice one to follow and to learn from your progress.