Crazy Dutch bastards

I have to hand it to the Dutch . They are the only one that have ever scared me while doing low passes over the field . I think they even scared the aircrew that I was trying to launch :rofl:/>

Cheers, Christian

Edited by Chris L

Whenever I see one of these stunts I both marvel at the skill of the pilot and how truly stupid he must be. In this particular low pass, one small downdraft and he's in the dirt, killing himself and likely many bystanders, while destroying a multimillion dollar plane that he does not own. Call me a kill joy, but if I was the CO of that pilot I'd have his wings for an extended period of time to let him think about it.

There's one out that beats that big time!!!! I think it's Spanish, a trainer but the guy's ventral strake almost puts a furrow into the ground!!! He is so low that there is a line in the grass from where the exhaust disturbed all the blades of green stuff!!!

We had a saying when I was flying, and I'm sure it's still around;

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots!!"

Whenever I see one of these stunts I both marvel at the skill of the pilot and how truly stupid he must be. In this particular low pass, one small downdraft and he's in the dirt, killing himself and likely many bystanders, while destroying a multimillion dollar plane that he does not own. Call me a kill joy, but if I was the CO of that pilot I'd have his wings for an extended period of time to let him think about it.

The first guy would be grounded in countries with a valid flight safety program as it is pure stunting.

The RAF flying is not stunting though, that is a regular part of their training syllabus and is approved.

Hows this for a low pass...

lancaster.jpg

Always impressive when a WWII era aircraft performs a low pass, especially a heavy bomber. I always got a chuckle out of this Spitfire low pass (language at the end is explicit):

Regards,

Don.

Always impressive when a WWII era aircraft performs a low pass, especially a heavy bomber.

Quadrupally (sp?) impressive on one engine - note one prop turning and the other three feathered!!!

When I was a kid growing up in the 70s, camping in the California coastal mountains, I had a low flying experience. I was up on the side of a mountain and heard a LOUD noise. I looked, and a flight of A-4 Skyhawks came zooming down the valley below me. I was looking down at them and could see the pilots clearly. They were gone in seconds, no time to grab the camera; but I will never forget that. One of the coolest things I ever saw.

Ken.

When I was a kid growing up in the 70s, camping in the California coastal mountains, I had a low flying experience. I was up on the side of a mountain and heard a LOUD noise. I looked, and a flight of A-4 Skyhawks came zooming down the valley below me. I was looking down at them and could see the pilots clearly. They were gone in seconds, no time to grab the camera; but I will never forget that. One of the coolest things I ever saw.

Ken.

Here's my story - As a kid, my folks had a beachfront summer home in SE Mass. One Sat AM, I was up early watching the cartoons (anyone remember those?) and thought the place had exploded. I look out the window and saw an F-106 had passed approx 50' overhead, in full afterburner, headed back out over the ocean. Thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. Woke up the entire street. Figured the -106 was based out of nearby Otis ANGB on Cape Cod.

Fast forward many years, I'm working on the base and mentioned this to some guys from that unit (102nd FIW). They seemed to know exactly what I was talking about. Said the pilot was an "old hand" who was known for this behavior. He had some friends / family in the area and had done similar things multiple times before. He was long retired by then but seemed to be a bit of a legend. They made it clear that something like this would result in the pilot being grounded nowadays.

One of my all-time favorites:

17giqnftck68rjpg.jpg

17gnevx4f5wqdjpg.jpg

B-52-low-level.jpg

This was taken during Operation Desert Shield where the USS Ranger and the B-52 was doing training stuff.

At the end of training the BUFF pilot asked if he could do a flyby:

Tower: "Roger that."

BUFF pilot: "I'm inbound at 3 miles from 7 o'clock."

Tower: "Roger.......I can't see you."

BUFF pilot: "LOOK. DOWN!"

The B-52 pilot was flying BELOW the level of the flight deck w00t.gif !

Ken.

When I was growing up in San Diego in the '70s and early '80s I used to go off-roading with a buddy of mine and his family.

We'd go to the desert in the Eastern part of the county as well as the neighboring Imperial County desert area.

We'd see A-4s, A-6s, and F-18A/Cs hotroding low over the mountains and into the canyons on their way out to their training grounds.

One time while driving my then brand new bright red truck and entering a place called Split Mountain, both my buddy and I instantly got this strange feeling. We stuck our heads out of the window and saw two F-18A/Cs pulling out of a dive RIGHT OVER us! We both said at the same time, "We were just bombed!!"

The trail we were on just happened to be going in a West/East direction at the time we were strafed so we were pointing 090*; the same direction as the a/c. We watched them, through the windshield, climb to about 12,000ft and then disappear. Needless to say; that was the highlight of that campout/trip!

BTW; Because of my experience watching A-6s hotdogging, I'm of the opinion that A-6s are/were the modern day Douglas SBD dauntless. Being that they were both built sturdy to handle G-forces.

Quadrupally (sp?) impressive on one engine - note one prop turning and the other three feathered!!!

Oh indeed :thumbsup:! That pilot had some serious stones to say the least!

There's one out that beats that big time!!!! I think it's Spanish, a trainer but the guy's ventral strake almost puts a furrow into the ground!!! He is so low that there is a line in the grass from where the exhaust disturbed all the blades of green stuff!!!

We had a saying when I was flying, and I'm sure it's still around;

"There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots!!"

Sounds like this one from Argentina:

Ken.

Does it count as a low pass if they are climbing a ridge? RNZAF A-4's on one of their last live-fire exercises in 2001. Over the sea they were cleared to fly operationally at 50ft - they did low flying as a normal day to day routine and got very good at it.

a4flyby.jpg

Edited by Mumbles