Curtiss HS-2L Flying Boat

The HS-2L was a member of the Curtiss H series of flying Boats. This series included the larger twin-engine H-12 and H-16. Though little known today, over 1,000 HS-1s and HS-2Ls were built toward the end of WW1. The Navy used them for anti-submarine patrols and training. They were used in several other countries as airliners, bush planes and rum runners. According to some numbers I have come across, it took more than 150,000 “man hours” to build a HS-2L compared to 2700 for a P-51 or 35,000 for a B-17.

The airfoils were cut down from larger surfaces. The rib detail was sanded off these donor kit parts. Rib detail was added back by making multiple layers of white on a decal using my ALPS printer. This is a crude form of 3D printing. Most other parts are made from sheet plastic. Most of the rigging is 0.005 inch straightened music wire. The ALPS decals represent an aircraft at Pensacola during the mid-1920s.

This kit is likely to be released by Muroc Models at some point, but there is still much to do.  (Update- The kit has been released)

David Newman

Muroc Models

K20D6387a.jpg

K20D6390a.jpg

K20D6401a.jpg

K20D6405a.jpg

K20D6407a.jpg

Edited by Muroc
update photo links

That's outstanding work!

I especially appreciate the rigging. I've been using carbon wire for this. Like music wire, makes for straight sag-free lines, but does require extra effort at the attachment points and to get the right length.

David:

A very nice model and I certainly hope you proceed with a kit as I would be quite interested in buying such a kit as 30 of these planes served with Canada from 1920 to 1928. I'm not aware of a 1/72 kit (or any kit) of this aircraft to date and think it has been seriously overlooked and really hope you can put out a good kit. In Canada this period was in the early days of government run flying as the RCAF was not officially formed until April 1st, 1924 so early these planes flew with civil codes but were under the Department of National Defense and later flew with typical RCAF early roundels. Aviaeology has a Chapter on the Canadian HS-2L (with colour profiles) in one of their books and you might wish to consult with them as to Canadian markings as a possible option in your kit. Please keep us posted on your progress as to a 1/72 kit.

Cheers

Bruce Mackie

P.S. I believe the Canadian machines were all ex US Navy machines gifted to Canada in return for US use of Canadian bases during WWI..

Edited by RCAFFAN
  • 5 months later...

Hello,

The HS-2L is ready for sell. The kit is $79 plus postage. Here is a photo of the HS-2L with the HS-1L. The HS-1L is available separately from Muroc Models. I have added a Davis gun to the nose of the HS-2L. The HS-2L was used to test the Davis gun, but the makings are incorrect for a HS-2L with this weapon.

Thank You,

David

Muroc Models

IMG_1110a.jpg

IMG_1112a.jpg

Edited by Muroc
update photo links