Very Low Ukrainian Mi-17

There's a killer on the road :)/>/>/>/>

Did this in UH-1Hs at Ft. Hood a couple of times, flying at 3 to 15 feet AGL up West Range Road. We would just pop up over cars coming the other way, or sneak up quickly on cars going our way. The main problem was watching out for telephone poles and wires, and avoiding being reported.

This could also be done at night, with no lights on. The object was to sneak up on a car, and approaching from the front, turn on the landing or search light, and blind the driver. The preferred targets were MP vehicles. Or you could approach from the back and from just above the rear trunk flood them with light. One night an MP vehicle rolled over into a ditch due to this kind of stuff.

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

I think it's a CGI helicopter. I believe the video is a fake, just my opinion.

There might be some image stabilisation going on, but shadow (particularly when thrown upon the grass and passing vehicles to the left), overall light levels and stroboscopic effect on the rotors I think make this genuine.

Edited by Mumbles

I watched for and didn't see any effects of downdraft on the plants on the side of the road.

The aircraft does yaw a bit, relative to the viewer, but not as much as I was expecting for the turns it makes.

Don't know if that adds anything.

This is possible. FM-Whip claims to have first hand experience of such events and I take them at their word. I don't see the point of hoaxing this footage, but that doesn't mean it's real.

If you watch the video in HD, you will see early on when the right-hand blades pass close to the tops of a few trees on the right-hand side of the road, they very definitely do get blown down. That, added to the consistency of the shadow on the left and the way that the aliasing of the helicopter blades change, I really think there is no reason to suspect this one to be fake. If it is fake, it is pretty much perfect.

I don't see the point of hoaxing this footage, but that doesn't mean it's real.

I don't know for certain either way myself. My first thought was fake, but then looked closer and realized IF it's faked it a really really good fake.

As to the point of it, often times video effects artists, or those wanting to get into the field, will create "promo" videos or test videos and throw them out there for testing and self promotion. Usually it's something more dramatic and outlandish, but to me, a real test of talent is to fake something that anybody could see and believe. By doing UFO's, bigfoot and what-not you already have too much dis-belief. But a low level helicopter is enough to get the people that really know about aircraft looking at it and examining it to test it's realism. You fool those guys and you can definitely fool the general movie audience. So if it's fake that could be the intent of creating it.

Bill

Looks real to me!

Rendering the helicopter's shadow "jumping" across grass with different heights, bushes, cars and whatnot would be one hell of a lot of work. Also as mentioned above, you can see the downdraft effects on the roadside vegetation like at 0:15.

Nice!

Edited by RedIndian

its fake, at 1:06 no shadow appear of the helicopter, but the trees do ?

Are we looking at the same video? There is definitely a shadow at 1:06 to the left of the helicopter. It is just to the right and below the oncoming car (as viewed by us). However, it is in a slight dip and mostly obscured by the tall grass closer to the camera, so it is only a small spot at that very moment. I would even say that this type of subtle detail (the shadow running up and down and getting smaller and bigger in the undulations) is more evidence that it is probably real, or as I said in my previous post, if it is fake it is just about perfect.

Has anyone considered why the car is keeping pace with the helicopter? How long would that helicopter be in sight of the car? I mean the helicopter obviously caught up to the vehicle from behind then begins to fly formation with the vehicle? In the other fly by videos a jet or a helicopter zoom by and they are gone. In this video the car chases the helicopter and keeps up? Is it impossible for a helicopter to fly that slow, no of course not, however it seemed to convenient I don't know.

Edited by gonzalo

Has anyone considered why the car is keeping pace with the helicopter? How long would that helicopter be in sight of the car? I mean the helicopter obviously caught up to the vehicle from behind then begins to fly formation with the vehicle? In the other fly by videos a jet or a helicopter zoom by and they are gone. In this video the car chases the helicopter and keeps up? Is it impossible for a helicopter to fly that slow, no of course not, however it seemed to convenient I don't know.

The helicopter is flying a typical nap of the earth flight profile. This was a standard US Army tactic back in the cold war days to avoid SAM's / AAA. While a great deal of fun to partake in (maybe not so much at night), it does require the helo to fly slowly so that they have time to avoid obstructions (especially electrical wires which are a killer for low flying helos).

Given the losses they have suffered to Russian SAM's, it makes sense that these guys would be flying NOE. Not sure if this was in a combat zone and the guy was flying tactical or just practicing.

Or maybe he's just joyriding down low.... Cool video nonetheless. As far as the relative speeds, I thought it looked like the car filming this started to speed up once he was overtaken by the Hip.

Are we looking at the same video? There is definitely a shadow at 1:06 to the left of the helicopter. It is just to the right and below the oncoming car (as viewed by us). However, it is in a slight dip and mostly obscured by the tall grass closer to the camera, so it is only a small spot at that very moment. I would even say that this type of subtle detail (the shadow running up and down and getting smaller and bigger in the undulations) is more evidence that it is probably real, or as I said in my previous post, if it is fake it is just about perfect.

I understood the comment to be a remark that the trees on the right of the road cast no shadow on the helicopter as it passes through the shadow they throw on the road.

People seem to be working on the view that this is just a happenstance video but I have no doubt that the people in the car and the helicopter knew each other and set this up before hand. It is real but all arranged beforehand and "Scripted"......

Did this in UH-1Hs at Ft. Hood a couple of times, flying at 3 to 15 feet AGL up West Range Road. We would just pop up over cars coming the other way, or sneak up quickly on cars going our way. The main problem was watching out for telephone poles and wires, and avoiding being reported.

This could also be done at night, with no lights on. The object was to sneak up on a car, and approaching from the front, turn on the landing or search light, and blind the driver. The preferred targets were MP vehicles. Or you could approach from the back and from just above the rear trunk flood them with light. One night an MP vehicle rolled over into a ditch due to this kind of stuff.

This happened to me one time ...

Me and my sister were returning home to OC after visiting a friend in San Diego.

It was about 3am, pitch black and we were on the stretch of I5 that runs through Camp Pendleton.

I was driving, my sister was snoozing and there were no cars in front of me or behind me.

I was doing about 85mph when all of a sudden, I'm lit up like its Noon!

I let off the gas and roll the window down, glance up and the spot light goes out on a Huey that's about 50' above ... Scared the crap out of me at first ... Thought it was cool afterwards ...

-Gregg

This happened to me one time ...

Me and my sister were returning home to OC after visiting a friend in San Diego.

It was about 3am, pitch black and we were on the stretch of I5 that runs through Camp Pendleton.

I was driving, my sister was snoozing and there were no cars in front of me or behind me.

I was doing about 85mph when all of a sudden, I'm lit up like its Noon!

I let off the gas and roll the window down, glance up and the spot light goes out on a Huey that's about 50' above ... Scared the crap out of me at first ... Thought it was cool afterwards ...

-Gregg

And people wonder where these whack-job UFO reports come from... wink.gif