1/72 Trumpeter MiG-29 9.12

Trumpeter's mad riveter at work again??

Macro photos and having the sprues in your hands are different things. In a macro photo, the lens is stuck 2-5cm over the kit part. A photo is static, the way you look at the part is imposed by the photo. When you have the sprues in hands, the distance between the eyes and the sprue is between 10cm and 1m. It changes, it's a dynamic process. In other words you may perceive the kit differently if you have the kit in hand than by looking at close-up photos.

I'm not sure that Trumpeter used cross-sections data to design the kit. Perhaps they've just used 6-view drawings. The LERX/front fuselage area may be "over blended". Still the existing 1/72 MiG-29 kits are far from being free of shape issues...

Edited by Laurent

Using Ken Duffey's method to check profiles :

P1240253_zps5gvodyzb.jpg

The cockpit sides on a MiG-29 are almost vertical.... and there is a tight radiused 'crease' where the vertical wall meets the LERX - with the front of the LERX/chine being quite sharp...like so....

day_02_06.jpg

GWH have it spot-on.

Over to you.........

Ken

PS - And those intake anti-FOD louvres :bandhead2:/> - they are only open when the engine is running on the ground and the main intakes are closed off.

day_02_14.jpg

Edited by Flankerman

The cockpit sides on a MiG-29 are almost vertical.... and there is a tight radiused 'crease' where the vertical wall meets the LERX - with the front of the LERX/chine being quite sharp...like so....

day_02_06.jpg

GWH have it spot-on.

Over to you.........

Ken

PS - And those intake anti-FOD louvres :bandhead2:/>/> - they are only open when the engine is running on the ground and the main intakes are closed off.

day_02_14.jpg

You would have though at least with the GWH being the best MiG-29 kit out there, that Trumpeter might have looked over the kit which would have given them at least a heads up about the louvres. But Trumpeter don't really surprise me anymore with their lack of research, when they get simple things wrong that 10 minutes of research could have solved. I'm not sure about this one.

Thanks a lot, Alex!

Would it be too much to ask of you to show us a side view of the front fuselage to see if/ how the windscreen 'bites' into the fuselage (as opposed to the horizontal joining surface of all other 72nd scale kits so far...)?

As you wish.....

P1240364_zpsqgqe3a9e.jpg

P1240366_zpsmqocnyop.jpg

271.gif

While it is just one of those details that never seems to be noticed and actually done in the kits, i dont find it much of a big deal imho. More pressing issue seems to be a bit shallow angle on the windshield, but need to compare to some pics. There is something not quite right with the intakes or the engine fairings on top, but again, need to compare.

Cockpit detail looks bad, some surface details seems to be very weak (gun nozzle and mesh screens behind LERX intakes) but panellines and rivets look sharp and about right depth wise. Overall i would say it looks pretty decent, but it just could have been better with slightly more effort.

I'm have pictures of future Zvezda's MiG-29 (i can't publish it, but in 4-6 weeks i hope Zvezda will publish full renders) - in this model all detail will be more comprehensive.

I'm have pictures of future Zvezda's MiG-29 (i can't publish it, but in 4-6 weeks i hope Zvezda will publish full renders) - in this model all detail will be more comprehensive.

Yes but it won't be a 9.12 right ?

I assume CAD pictures, they havent actually tooled it yet, have they?

• 2 weeks later...

The windshield seems much better than the Italeri offering and I do like the surface detailing, which appears pretty accurate too. Probably some weaker, softer details are present too, as Berkut pointed out.

The pit is pure BS. As far as I remember, even the old Airfix had *much* more accurate IP etc. Okay, how many of us use PE or resin pits on a regular basis? Surprisingly many, I guess. I know I do, although I do appreciate (and would prefer) well executed styrene cockpits.

Shame about the cockpit outer wall thing. Didn't the Revell 1/32 have the same issue?

Would I wait for the Zvezda kit? Yes I would.

Zvezda times,all I need is a freaking 9-12 with IFR (and their first will be a 9-13) then probably I will go after something else for the Mig-33 Fulcrum SS

Edited by Mizar

Looking at all these pictures and having a look at Zlinek plans I'll definitely wait for Zvezda's release.

Looks to me that the front of the AC is a little bit cartoonish and I have a serious doubt about the engines fairings and airbrake.

But I may be wrong , future will tell.

Madcop. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Well, I got the kit and I do like it but it does need help in refining.

The cockpit sidewalls are bare, devoid of any detailing. Fortunately for me, I have a complete assortment of PART & ACE PE detail sets to gild this Lily:

Trump72MiG29912SpruexFuselage7.JPG

That gun opening and vent are poor (above) and the cockpit side panels bare (below compared to Italeri's cockpit tub):

Trump72MiG29912SpruexxComaprison13.JPG

Regards.

Edited by sharkmouth