For yellow zinc chromate, I've always liked the stuff in the little square bottle from Testors..although I think I heard it may be or has been discontinued.

300731.jpg

It's what I used in the wheel wells of this P-47..looks about right to me.

100_2442.jpg

100_2441.jpg

SN

Edited by Steve N

It's gonna be a MH-60M special ops blackhawk helicopter or a UH-60 blackhawk in a phase maintenance setting with panels removed.

It's just an idea right now. I'm just trying to get my paints that I need.

Tim

I suspect hawkwrench already knows the color he's going for, and he's just curious as to which type and brand of paint people have had the best experience with. He can tweak the color to match if need be.

Hawkwrench, I've been happy with Moder Master enamels, in the past, for airbrushing. Perhaps go with Tamiya for brush painting? What's available in your neck of the woods?

I would think chrome yellow would be much too bright and..well..yellow for zinc chromate. As for brushing, I've never been able to get Tamiya to hand-brush worth a crap. I always use enamals for brushing.

SN

For yellow zinc chromate, I've always liked the stuff in the little square bottle from Testors..although I think I heard it may be or has been discontinued.

300731.jpg

That's all I've ever used for years, I can't see a Yellow/Silver mix being anywhere close to being correct.

Cheers, Tony

I've always believed from what I have been told over the years (from folks who had been there) that initially, the chromates were mixed by the aircraft mfg and then it was produced by various paint mfgs so the a/c mfgs could concentrate on building and painting and not mixing. (of course after spending 20 some years in the military, I kinda bet that someone up the chain in the military who never heard the sound of a shot fired in anger, probably complained that everyone was using a different mixture and the resulting greens and yellows did not match and everyone knows that the military can't have that!). However, I do know that you could buy green or yellow zinc chromate in every thing from pints to 55 gallon drums (and spray cans) from both civilian and military surplus outlets up until a year or two ago. Now when you order chromate, you get zinc phosphate in either green or yellow (and to my eye they are a very good match to old chromates. (the EPa strikes again!) You can still get chromate but when the shelves are cleared that's the end of it'

Yes indeed, thanks to the EPA. Quoting from the Wiki article (which is accurate):

"Recent studies have shown that not only is zinc chromate highly toxic, it is also a carcinogen.[13] Exposure to zinc chromate can cause tissue ulceration and cancer.[1][3] A study published in the British Journal of Industrial Medicine showed a significant correlation between the use of zinc chromate and lead chromate in factories and the number of cases in lung cancer experienced by the workers.[14] Because of its toxicity the use of zinc chromate has greatly diminished in recent years."

So yes, thanks to the EPA for doing its job and protecting the public health.

I understand that's how the color commonly referred to as "interior green" came about. Most parts only got a single coat of chromate, but crew compartments required two coats. For those areas, ten-percent black was added to chromate yellow for the second coat. Partly to make it obvious rhat the second coat had been applied, and also to tone it down a bit to reduce reflection on canopies.

SN