Guys hi

As I mentioned elsewhere this will be my first full build for a good number of years. I pretty much gave up on completing kits to a finished state when I switched to aviation art in 2006 and since that time all builds have been as props for paintings. However I feel taking the models to a more finished state may help with the "on canvas" painting and so I'm going here with a A-4E from VA-163. The build will be in flight and show the Scooter hauling 6x Mk82 Snakeye and a CL tank. (I've got the Eduard Brassin Mk82's and Aerobonus TERs for this and both sets are superb !)

I am looking for any decals for a A-4E from VA-163. I know that Victory Productions did a sheet that covered this squadron and it's possible others have also. I'm not after a full sheet necessarily, but just the aircraft specific markings. Any help really appreciated

I can do without the decals as I can add the markings to the painting as necessary, but their absence will obviously detract from the build.

It is my intention to not only to show the kit build but also the progress on the painting once that is under way.

If you want to have a look at my work please either check out my facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Pete-Wenman-Aviation-Art/231924855065?ref=hl

or website

http://www.navairart.com/

and just to keep thinks on subject here is the current state of play. I've pretty much completed the A4, with the gloss cost next to allow generic decals to be added.

pqa.jpg

P

Edited by Pete Wenman
  • 2 weeks later...

OK in the absence of being able to find the decals for this bird I'm cutting up the kit decals for the generic markings and have had a go at printing my own for the main aircraft specific ones. It's been a while since I've last done this, and so I hope the decal paper and fixing solutions have not gone off.

Here's the image file anyways.

moh1a.jpg

As for the blue arrow I've got it painted on one side of the aircraft, but am not totally happy and so may have another go. Either way the model is close to being complete and so I can start thinking about the painting.

Progress so far - sorry about the messy workbench and dodgy ipad photo ! ( my camera battery needs charging)

moh2.jpg

P

Joel - home made decals are not hard, you just need the right kit, and to accept the limitations of the process. In this instance I'm doing what is probably the easiest to do, with all the decals being black on clear decal paper.

In addition all of the decals are letters/numbers for which I was able to use a font. Complex shapes and colours are a different kettle of fish !

Decal Paper is Experts Choice, by the Bare Metail Foil Co, and I'm sealing the decals once printed with Microscale liquid decal film. My printer is a bog standard 3 in 1 copier.

Time to put my money where my mouth is and see if they actually work out.

I'll be back soon

P

Joel - home made decals are not hard, you just need the right kit, and to accept the limitations of the process. In this instance I'm doing what is probably the easiest to do, with all the decals being black on clear decal paper.

In addition all of the decals are letters/numbers for which I was able to use a font. Complex shapes and colours are a different kettle of fish !

Decal Paper is Experts Choice, by the Bare Metail Foil Co, and I'm sealing the decals once printed with Microscale liquid decal film. My printer is a bog standard 3 in 1 copier.

Time to put my money where my mouth is and see if they actually work out.

I'll be back soon

P

Pete,

I'm looking forward to seeing your results.

Joel

Well that was a lot easier and more successful than I was expecting. So much so that it's caught me by surprise and I've had to quickly future the rest of the aircraft so I can apply the rest of the decals.

The trial decals went down well, although they have both lost a little ink where I rough handled them, but good enough for Government work !

moh3a.jpg

I'm really pleased with the result given I'm not looking for a competition quality build here, rather a maquette for the painting I have in mind.

P

Other than touching up in a couple of places I'm calling this done. I've got to admit that given the lack of decals and that I've not painted a kit in something like eight years that I'm pretty chuffed with this. Just remember as I said before this is just a maquette for a painting rather than a competition quality piece.

It's a pity my photo skills are so poor - I'll get some better ones in daylight.

f1a.jpg

f2a.jpg

At the moment I'm thinking of a 3/4 rear view with the Scooter banking away as the composition I want to go with -but we'll see.

P

Edited by Pete Wenman