If you could improve Revell's F-14

This is kind of a hypothetical question. If you could improve Revell's F-14 Tomcat, what would you do? Keep in mind that it would be modifications to the original tooling, not a new tooling. I'm curious to hear what you guys would do.

Just finished one last week. I love the kit and love the different versions and optional parts that can be swapped between the kits to make an airframe from a particular period.

The problems:

• Fix the instrument panels in the F-14B and F-14D kits. I believe the -B kit has F-14D panels and the -D kit has F-14A panels.
  • Give the F-14A kit the option for two Sidewinders on the wing stations (like the F-14B kit has).
  • At least mold the AIM-7 Sparrow separate from the pylon.
  • Give all kits the option for fuel tanks under the nacelles (like the F-14B kit has).
  • Include two aircrew to be seated in the cockpit.

Edited by dmk0210

Engraved panel lines

Add the alpha probe

Add the ECM blisters under the glove vane from the B kit

Add the drop tanks from the B & D kits but make them the correct shape and size

Add the Phoenix pallet BRU-32 pylons from the B & D kits

Add the dual AIM-9 adapters for the 4 LAU-7 launchers from the B kit

Add the TARPS pod from the D kit

Add the bullwinkle pod from the D kit

Have the different gun gas vents

Have the different under nose blisters and TCS

Improve the HUD

Have 2-3 squadrons choices on the decals

Have the missile markings on the decals

These will give the choice to make an early or late F-14A

Edited by twong

This is kind of a hypothetical question. If you could improve Revell's F-14 Tomcat, what would you do? Keep in mind that it would be modifications to the original tooling, not a new tooling. I'm curious to hear what you guys would do.

Thanks guys. Keep the ideas coming. They may just be put into play.

Which kit are we talking about, the -A, -B, or -D?

I think we are all assuming -A with no evidence.

Assuming by "Revell" you mean the Monogram/Revell kit and not the original Revell kit, I would like to see a part to represent the inflatable fairing (name?) when the wing is in the full forward position, to save one from the trouble of having to do this:

IMG_7467%20cr%20ch.jpg

I would also like to have some improvement to get a better parts fit inside the intake trunks! :wacko:

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

How about a backdating package to make very early block models from the A kit?

It could include the early gun vent configuration, early beaver tail design, retractable wing glove vanes as well as early sensor/antenna fits.

I think separating the sparrow from the pylon would be my first.

Providing the fuel tanks would be my second.

The one thing I really wish it had differently is the way they separated the parts around the intakes, that is a pain in the butt to get right.

All the other little details can be made by the "modeller" during construction.

Edited by pookie

Nice thread. I tell you what I would keep; the simple build sequence, and ease on the wallet!. In terms of changes; the most obvious one (but stangely least important to me) is recessed panel lines. What I would like changed is principally the shape of the nose, windshield etc; its definitely my least favourite part of the kit. I would DEFINITELY improve the engineering and breakdown of the intakes. Engine exhausts that are the correct depth would be great. Sidewall detail in the cockpit; the seats and other panels arent too bad IMHO. Lastly, the option to "kneel" the aircraft would be great. I am unsure about full slats and flaps; that could be left to the AMSrs who are det.mined enough to modify the kit (they manage to do that with the tamiya kit). IMHO, kits such as the Academy f4b are pretty close to the bullseye in terms of cost vs accuracy and detail vs ease of build.

Nice thread. I tell you what I would keep; the simple build sequence, and ease on the wallet!. In terms of changes; the most obvious one (but stangely least important to me) is recessed panel lines. What I would like changed is principally the shape of the nose, windshield etc; its definitely my least favourite part of the kit. I would DEFINITELY improve the engineering and breakdown of the intakes. Engine exhausts that are the correct depth would be great. Sidewall detail in the cockpit; the seats and other panels arent too bad IMHO. Lastly, the option to "kneel" the aircraft would be great. I am unsure about full slats and flaps; that could be left to the AMSrs who are det.mined enough to modify the kit (they manage to do that with the tamiya kit). IMHO, kits such as the Academy f4b are pretty close to the bullseye in terms of cost vs accuracy and detail vs ease of build.

The Hasegawa kits have the option to kneel the airplane if required. How difficult would it be to take the kneel section from one of those kits for the Revell kits? I know I have at least half a dozen myself... of course we are talking 1/48 and not 1/32...

In the order of importance to me:

(1) Recessed panel lines

(2) Fuel tanks

(3) Better nose shape

(4) Improve the part breakdown between the lower fuselage/upper fuselage/intakes.

(5) Richer squadron decal options

If (1) was there, I would buy the kit even if the rest was not implemented. If (1) is not there but everything else is, I wouldn't buy it :) So to me, recessed lines are the determining factor.

Edited by Janissary

(1) Recessed panel lines

(2) Fuel tanks

(3) Better nose shape

(4) Improve the part breakdown between the lower fuselage/upper fuselage/intakes.

If (1) was there, I would buy the kit even if the rest was not implemented. If (1) is not there but everything else is, I wouldn't buy it :)/> So to me, recessed lines are the determining factor.

I think it's probably a given that #1 would be done.

The Hasegawa kits have the option to kneel the airplane if required. How difficult would it be to take the kneel section from one of those kits for the Revell kits? I know I have at least half a dozen myself... of course we are talking 1/48 and not 1/32...

sure, it's not too difficult, but we are talking wish list here and its just one extra part. I know Hasegawa has that option but that's another kit, another story and another set of problems.

I think it's probably a given that #1 would be done.

If that's the case, it's really big news. Hopefully R/M will come through and do this. I'm sure many would come back to this kit just based on its sentimental value. I for one remember my very first 1/48 Tomcat was a R/M and I remember how excited I was when I got it. I bought it from Toys r us during a summer trip to USA in '91 and took it back to Turkey. It was my most beloved kit in my collection at the time.

(1) Recessed panel lines

(2) Fuel tanks

(3) Better nose shape

If (1) was there, I would buy the kit even if the rest was not implemented. If (1) is not there but everything else is, I wouldn't buy it :)/> So to me, recessed lines are the determining factor.

Your last sentence applies to what I said earlier in this thread as well.