If you could improve Revell's F-14

What about the wheels? They updated them in the B/D kits, so they have the molds, but I wasn't sure they looked all that good. Should there be updated wheels, or is that something that can easily be gotten from aftermarket?

Another question is about the engine shroud area. The molds were updated to B/D standars, but fairing was left as oval to do the A variants. Does the lack of engine shroud detail bother you for the A? Should they retool the oval fairing to make it the correct fairing for the B/D? When doing an A, I always look for the original release so that I get the engine detail, but that could just be me. If we're shooting for the moon here, what about separate engine shroud pieces so that both an accurate A or B/D could be built?

Edited by Darren Roberts

1) Recessed panel lines would go a good distance on improving this kit.

2) More or improved ordinance options i.e. separate the AIM-7s from the rails, fix the LANTIRN pylon angle, add optional shoulder rails for twin AIM-9s.

3) Copy the wing sweep mechanism from the Fujimi 1/72 kit where the wings clip in after the fuselage is together but are still able to mesh so that the sweep can be demonstrated. (I like to transport my kits with the wings swept but display them wings out)

4) The seam for the top and bottom of the front fuselage needs to seriously be rethought. This is one of the worst seams on the kit and the stepped design makes it terrible to work with.

5) Open and closed engine nozzles for the B/D. I have a resin mold to make closed ones but I'd rather have plastic.

6) Separate engine fairings to differentiate between the A and B/D. This is one of the things I like about the HS and HB kits.

7) Crew figures with separate arms and heads. This makes painting easier. Having some accurate flight gear wouldn't hurt, either.

4) The seam for the top and bottom of the front fuselage needs to seriously be rethought. This is one of the worst seams on the kit and the stepped design makes it terrible to work with.

I must have blanked my memory about that part, it would be nice to get rid of that part of the intake that acts as a fuselage filler piece between the upper and lower fuselage halves in between the step.

Evening,

I'd toss in the following:

ACMI pod

LGTRs

PTID as part of the instrument panel

BOL rails

Minor items that can be scratch built but how about these too:

Tail stiffeners

RIO step plate

HUD frame

Tall TACAN antenna

GPS antenna

If we were going to go to the Moon, yes, updated shrouds would be great!

Thanks for your efforts on this!

Dan

Let me ask this. If you could get many of the smaller details (tall TACAN antenna, boarding step stiffener, etc.), would you rather have just a B/D release that's updated, or would you rather have fewer of the B/D specific details added so that an A could also be done? The reason I ask is that the current molding is closer to a B/D than an A right now, and I'm not sure how much change they will be able to make to the molds.

I must have blanked my memory about that part, it would be nice to get rid of that part of the intake that acts as a fuselage filler piece between the upper and lower fuselage halves in between the step.

This is also high on the "to change" list.

I would improve the design of the intakes. I'd also like to see the lower sections of the cranked pylons with an optional part to allow the Phoenix to be carried. Also, improve the LANTIRN from their F-14B/D releases. Also, seperate the elevons from the upper fuselage and use clear plastic for the wingtip/tail/glove lights. Finally, open up the crew steps to go with the open ladder option.

Edited by Colin K

Let me ask this. If you could get many of the smaller details (tall TACAN antenna, boarding step stiffener, etc.), would you rather have just a B/D release that's updated, or would you rather have fewer of the B/D specific details added so that an A could also be done? The reason I ask is that the current molding is closer to a B/D than an A right now, and I'm not sure how much change they will be able to make to the molds.

My personal preference would be to do B/D really well (i.e., add all the details for those), rather than trying to make it A compatible.

I'd vote for a separate B/D kit. Having optional engine fairings like the Hasegawa offering would save molds by keeping the majority of the fuselage common. If not, then I'll be okay with common A/B/D engine nacelles. I can square off the fairings with putty and masking tape rather easily.

I think it's probably a given that #1 would be done.

So, they Will change the molds? Se Will hace a "new" Revell 1/48 Tomcat?

This topic is not really about the Revell kit but rather about the future AMK kit I believe.

I am wondering the same thing? Hopefully same quality as their F-15E moulds, that is a really nice kit. Please let this thread mean we are getting a new tooled kit!

I get the impression that it will be a rework of the existing molds. It would take a new design and a new set of molds to get it to their F-15E standard.

This topic is not really about the Revell kit but rather about the future AMK kit I believe.

Can you explain what you mean?

Can you explain what you mean?

Are there reliable drawings (including fuselage cross sections) from which a basic shape CAD model can be designed ? Perhaps not (I'm not into Tomcats so I'm not sure). Now the shapes of Revell model are known to be good so perhaps a Revell model could be scanned and a parametric model (usable for tooling) be made out from the scan.

Edited by Laurent

well, since B/Ds have more in common with each other, as a consumer I would think it reasonable to have one boxing that could be either B or D depending on parts options, and a separate boxing that could be an A, with maybe even the inclusion of Iranian markings. just my input...

-Ramon

Are there reliable drawings (including fuselage cross sections) from which a basic shape CAD model can be designed ? Perhaps not (I'm not into Tomcats so I'm not sure). Now the shapes of Revell model are known to be good so perhaps a Revell model could be scanned and a parametric model (usable for tooling) be made out from the scan.

Given Darren's affinity to RM kits, plus the way he posed the question, I was under the impression that the whole idea was to improve the RM molds. I was confused when you brought in AMK, and thought you may know something that I missed. Darren, this is about the RM molds, right?

To keep things on track, there is talk of improving the R/M molds. I'm simply on a fact-finding mission, if you will, to find out how what improvements to the molds would be most welcomed. Since nothing is official as of yet, it's all very hypothetical at the moment. I do hope the project comes to fruition, though, as it will provide an affordable Tomcat. I'll be building another 70 of them! :lol:

Well since there isn't a thing on the RM molds that is accurate to the real thing, and it they are looking to improve, why not start from scratch. Still keep simple construction and simply the parts breakdown.

If they're looking to improve what's already there:...

- Recessed panel lines, especially the foreword fuselage.

- fix or change the foreword fuselage. It's fit is horrible and that step and and amount of filling/shaping is the biggest pain in construction. And no recessed lines would survive it.

- fix intakes mold like Darren's construction fix.

- vertical tails need rudder braces. (Post 1977)

- foreword windscreen needs new shape. Or at least the framing corrected. That would help the nose.

- new nose come with alpha probe.

- new wheels

- new cockpit. Coamings, seats especially.

- fuel tanks.

- Fightertown Decals ;)

- for late A/B/D ECM bulges on upper forward intake lip and gear door.

- for all tomcats post BLk 91 ECM under intake, boat tail.

- for B/D absolutely fix the squared off engine/fuselage fairing.

On the weapons side - new AIM-54. Bomb racks. Lantirn pod/pylon, GBU-12 option, tarps pod.

Oh, and the old original Revell Tailhook. Still the only accurate Tailhook out there!

Brian

i think the we need 2 pilots in it in stead of just one in ever new revell tomcat i have bought the left side of the pilots face is melted off and get rid of the long line that goes straight down the middle of the top of the jet its not there on the real one also fix that indentation on the left side on the top its near where the spine blends in to the back of the jet it has sort of a pill shape every revell kit i have its there and it gets deeper and worse

Someone mentioned it before- LGTR. There are none in 1/48 that I know of, and we carried them all the time. Of course, that would also mean bomb racks on the belly rails and ITERs... Might as well throw a pile of Mk.76 blue death and/or ADM-141 TALDs as well.

• 2 weeks later...

To stick within the guideline of simply updating the existing tooling here is what I could suggest to RM that they could realistically do:

First, pick a version and stick with it (A, B, or D). I would be worried that by trying to be all inclusive no one version would be entirely accurately represented because of the changes between models.

Second, fix the mold flaws (nose cone tip and line down the spine).

Third, include a new weapons sprue. Don't be Hasegawa (meant as a joke :rolleyes:/> ). Droptanks, new Phoenix pallets with bomb racks and GBUs and JDAMs (if doing the B or D Bombcats), glove pylons without the AIM-7s molded on, and the TARPS pod are what I can think of off hand.

Fourth, if doing the later versions include the appropriate rear instrument panel and HUD.

Fifth, a new antenna sprue (if applicable).

Sixth, a new exhaust sprue (ditch the old add-in GE turkey feathers).

Finally, new decals with both airframe and weapons stencils.

As nice as it would be, I don't think that separating the stabilators and changing the intake parts would be possible without completely retooling those parts. Then again, I don't know what all is possible for them to do.

Edited by chriss7606