F-15E prototype, 1/48

Did I find the wrong pictures for F-15E prototype? I thought the first prototype for F-15E painted in euroI camouflage and based on "B". I guess it was mainly a avionics upgrade and the visible changes are made in production run?

What gave me the inspiration was this picture:

f15_04_load.jpg

but it is so low quality I wasn't even sure whether it is a real photograph.

Hasegawa actually boxed this version and sold it as an E model. You can still find it its available in 1/48. And just everyone else stated its n F-15B that was used as a demonstrator.

That was McDonnell Douglass' DRF (Dual Role Fighter) demonstrator (AF 71-0291) I think it was the second two seat F-15 ever built at the time called TF-15. Looks to have the small air brake. It never had F-15E avionics, wheels, gun clip door, or Chaff flare mods. The only thing it had was a cool Euro-1 paint scheme and CFT's that allowed it to carry weapons. I would be surprised if it had any real type of weapons release avionics. I think the aircrew hit emergency jettison for all the pretty pictures.

More to the point use a F-15b model and your set!

Here's a link to a build article that may be of help:

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal3/2801-2900/Gal2880-F-15-Cornett/00.shtm

Hasegawa released this exact plane in both 1/72 and 1/48, including the uniquely shaped MERs (name?) that only this aircraft ever used. Check the links to see what each model inlcudes.

1/72:

http://modelingmadness.com/scott/mod/15epreview.htm

15ebt.jpg

1/48:

http://www.model-making.eu/products/item_name-176369.html

bb9eee51e77decb01c8cec71e1e7.jpg

Both models are basically F-15Bs with new parts for the Conformal Fuel Tanks and weapons.

Hope this is of any help.

Jorge.

Edited by f4h1phantom

Just to round off the topic - and cool as the F-15B DRFD* looked in one of the first widely seen Euro 1 'Lizard' schemes back in 1980 - the first actual F-15E 'Strike Eagle' was 86-0183 as seen in the very nice photo below, in its unvarying family trademark colour.

* I've not got access to my Aviation mags of the period right now, so I can't quite remember: did the second 'D' stand for 'Derivative', 'Demonstrator' or 'Development'? If anyone recalls it'll be helpful as I'm sorting my F-15 photo collection at present.

McDonnell_Douglas_F-15E_First_production_F-15E_%28SN_86-0183%29_in_flight_060905-F-1234S-026.jpg

Edited by chek

I never heard of DRFD, but DRF "Dual Role Fighter"

HTH

Thanks, it may be that the UK aviation press used or added those extra words that I took to be its title with a second 'D'.

But, as you can tell that's me speculating.

I believe the back seat had 4 MPD's like the production E models but they were a different style and were mounted in a B model control panel. I remember seeing a picture several years ago, and I believe it had the high glare shield like all B and D models.

That jet came to Langley once, loaded to the gills with green Mk 20 Rockeyes. I tapped on one and it was hollow! :woot.gif:/>

See above.

I forgot to ask, is that low-res photo I send with rockeyes real?

I believe the back seat had 4 MPD's like the production E models but they were a different style and were mounted in a B model control panel. I remember seeing a picture several years ago, and I believe it had the high glare shield like all B and D models.

I had E cockpit set, anyway. That part will be whatify :) An E cockpit in a B fuselage.

• 2 weeks later...