F-15E prototype, 1/48

The prototype had different size MFD's. I have a world air power with a pic of the rear cockpit.

When I worked on 71-0291, it was in 85ish in the compass ghost gray scheme the MPCD' s had orange sealant around them for vibration control probably due to the larger holes. The prototype E had numerous avionics changes but that is the one that sticks out in my memory.

F-15B 72-0291 was McDD's entry in the DRFD - Dual Role Fighter Demonstrator, in an indirect flyoff with GD's F-16XL #2 (the two-seater). The F-15B wore the Euro-1 paint scheme during DRFD. I don't believe the front seat instrument panel was modified but the rear panel was as seen here:

WgArhAx.jpg

Note the rear displays had no buttons around the bezel, only contrast, brightness and symbology brightness knobs. I'm not an ejection seat expert but it also looks like the jet was still outfitted with STENCEL seats during DRFD.

Hope this helps...

F-15B 72-0291 was McDD's entry in the DRFD - Dual Role Fighter Demonstrator, in an indirect flyoff with GD's F-16XL #2 (the two-seater). The F-15B wore the Euro-1 paint scheme during DRFD. I don't believe the front seat instrument panel was modified but the rear panel was as seen here:

Note the rear displays had no buttons around the bezel, only contrast, brightness and symbology brightness knobs. I'm not an ejection seat expert but it also looks like the jet was still outfitted with STENCEL seats during DRFD.

Hope this helps...

When I worked on her she was going up against the Skyfox, modified T-33 airframe. She came into Langley when we, ops side was flying CAS missions to the DARE range loaded with all sorts of bombs and CFT's. I have a picture somewhere but she was in the compass ghost gray and had all the Mods for a D model, ACEs seat, wheels etc.... I remember the orange when I climbed into the cockpit around the MPCD's and all panels, was almost annoying because it was everywhere. Maybe that was later in the test program? By 1979 all F-15 A/B's had the ACES II seats installed and Turkey Feathers were starting to be removed.

the picture almost looks like a museum shot, the canopy rollers are missing on the right side and most instrumentation is overly worn?

Cheers

Dave

Edited by Ol Crew Dog

the picture almost looks like a museum shot, the canopy rollers are missing on the right side and most instrumentation is overly worn?

DRFD concluded in 1983, I believe 291 lived out its flying career at McDD as a test bird, then was retired in the 90s and became a BDR trainer. I don't think 291 was ever in a museum.

The photo I posted was scanned form a book published in the mid-80s. Also I think that seat may be an ESCAPAC (vs STENCEL). If you look closely you can see the radio call placard says 10291

This link contains a nice history of all the F-15 prototypes, from -0280 to -0291

Edited by habu2

DRFD concluded in 1983, I believe 291 lived out its flying career at McDD as a test bird, then was retired in the 90s and became a BDR trainer. I don't think 291 was ever in a museum.

The photo I posted was scanned form a book published in the mid-80s. Also I think that seat may be an ESCAPAC (vs STENCEL). If you look closely you can see the radio call placard says 10291

This link contains a nice history of all the F-15 prototypes, from -0280 to -0291

It was at Langley with the Skyfox for bombing exhibition...

Hope this helps...

Looks like there is parts removed mainly the rollers..

• 3 weeks later...

Probably Escapac, That seat was in all early F-15s I believe, and the prototype was F-15B 71-0291

By 84-85 71-0291 had ACESII seats and all the rest of MODs that brought up to D model configuration off the assembly line at the time to include the newer wheels. A/B models received their ACESII's 79-80, some as late as 81..... 71-0291 was also in the Compass Ghost Gray scheme.

• 2 months later...

I would to do this First Prototype Strike Eagle using the original old Hasegawa F-15E 1/48 box.

Reassuming:

The seats are Escapacs,

the airbrake is the short type: where can I get somewhat of detailed to see how much the airbrake is different from the standard type of brake on the modern f-15s?

The front Instrument panel should be a standard F-15B/C panel right?

The unique difference is/should be the fake All Digital Panel on the rear seat.