Trumpeter MiG-23bn 1/48 boxart

I don't own any of them, I'm just passing along what I've heard about them. I will buy the BN however, since I've met Orestes Lorenzo who defected to NAS Key West in 1991 in one :)

• 4 weeks later...
...but I'm eagerly awaiting the BN version...

55ea9d72416d3.jpg

If this profile comes from the CAD model and reflects the shapes of the kit, I think you'll have to wait for someone else to make a BN.

Edited by Laurent

Dear God, PLEASE have these Floggers resized down to 72nd....we'll GLADLY take them, imperfect rivets and all!!! :pray:/>

Hi,

Artmodel already makes the duckbill family in 1/72. Looking at the sprues, they seemed pretty decent kits. Do they have faults that I am unaware of?

Just curious, I'll surely pick up the 1/48 Trumpeter but might do a Cuban BN in 1/72 in the future.

55ea9d72416d3.jpg

If this profile comes from the CAD model and reflects the shapes of the kit, I think you'll have to wait for someone else to make a BN.

Looking at the canopy section, YOU ARE RIGHT. They did the exact same thing as Italeri/Hobbycraft did.

YUP; Did a fast search and indeed "Houston We Have A Problem" I guess we have to keep on waiting. They virtually COPIED the same Mistake as Itateri / Hobbycraft did.

My link

tru_2853_parts1.jpg55ea9d7fa32fa.jpg

Edited by Otto

I don't have any MiG-23/27 references handy. Can you enlighten us on what you mean?

Edit: oh, never mind. The angle of the main canopy sill. For crying out loud Trumpeter! Are you freaking kidding me here!?!?!?!

Edited by Jennings

I don't have any MiG-23/27 references handy. Can you enlighten us on what you mean?

Edit: oh, never mind. The angle of the main canopy sill. For crying out loud Trumpeter! Are you freaking kidding me here!?!?!?!

I am sorry but your question and than subsequent revelation had the following affect on me. rofl.gifrofl.gifrofl.gifsoapbox.gifBANGHEAD2.jpg

Looks like a Mig-23BN to me. Thanks Trumpeter for another kit of a great subject.

-Those of us who build models.

In which case, go on eBay, buy a Hobbycraft and you will have the same thing for 1/3 the price. They are identical. The similarity between the two outlines are about the same as the VW Beetle and Porsche Carrera.

Edited by Otto

In which case, go on eBay, buy a Hobbycraft and you will have the same thing for 1/3 the price. They are identical. The similarity between the two outlines are about the same as the VW Beetle and Porsche Carrera.

What a great answer377.gif

YUP; Did a fast search and indeed "Houston We Have A Problem" I guess we have to keep on waiting. They virtually COPIED the same Mistake as Itateri / Hobbycraft did.

My link

tru_2853_parts1.jpg55ea9d7fa32fa.jpg

I was really looking forward to a good upgrade to the Italeri kit, but this is highly disappointing.

They made the same mistake on the other MiG-23 kit but it is nowhere as obvious as it is on this kit. I guess, that it could be repaired on the other kit but I doubt that it would be that simple on this one; I mentioned on another thread that I give myself a 5% tolerance on dimensions and outline, but this is beyond the 5% in the outline department.

"Zvezda, Where are you when we need you the most?"

There are SO FEW kits which Trumpeter has gotten right it is Pathetic. Now, When I say Trumpeter I include Hobby Boss Great Wall ETC. I think I might be able to count all the good ones on one hand.

Edited by Otto

Notice that the area at the front of the windscreen base is shorter in the BN sprue than in the M/MF sprue. The situation is different than in the Esci/Italeri/Hobbycraft MiG-27 where the fuselage was common between the MiG-23 and MiG-27. Here it isn't the case.

Notice that the area at the front of the windscreen base is shorter in the BN sprue than in the M/MF sprue. The situation is different than in the Esci/Italeri/Hobbycraft MiG-27 where the fuselage was common between the MiG-23 and MiG-27. Here it isn't the case.

But the mistake in the canopy / cockpit area is the same. I doubt that it could be fixed with just a bit of surgery. The only thing which I see that is BETTER than the Hobbycraft is that there is no Up-sweep in the nose.

Three threads on this kit in as many days? That is serious!

Edited by Otto

I have no shortage of $$ so I think I'll buy the more detailed Trumpeter kit. Then I'll actually build it and enjoy myself. Thanks. I just think you folks should spend more time gluing and painting...maybe you wouldn't take it all so serious. I'm legit concerned. It can't be good for your health :crying2:

Money is not the object here but since it was brought up in this way than why don't you just burn it in a good restaurant on some good American raised Beef since you are from the Loan-star state, instead of sending it to China for Junk. If this kit was injection molded by Revell ore such company here in the US than I would say go for it. You are helping the economy with your expendable cash. Personally If I spend my money I either want to put it into the US economy or Get a product of the best possible quality for which I am paying. For me personally the research on a subject is 66% of the fun. This is why I spent 6 years at the Museum in Quantico as the NCOIC of restorations. Only AFTER I did all of my research, did I allow anything to be done physically on an artifact. Attention to detail is one trait I will never forsake. If I was like that than I would have joined the Army instead of the Marines. (OK The Rangers aren't bad But Force Recon still rules)expl.gif