NASCAR at Pocono - August 2015

I made my twice-a-year visit to Pocono Raceway last weekend for the NASCAR weekend. As always, it's an interesting time, and we had perfect weather and some good racing.

1 - I started out with some time on pit road during practice on Friday and Saturday. Here, Brad Keselowski speeds past.

JM_2015_08_01_Pocono_Cup_2_001-XL.jpg

2 - And his teammate, Joey Logano

JM_2015_08_01_Pocono_Cup_22_001-XL.jpg

3 - And you can't miss Danica Patrick's car.

JM_2015_08_01_Pocono_Cup_10_003-XL.jpg

4 - Never turn your back on a race car! Twenty five years of going to Pocono, I'd never seen this. During Saturday's practice, Jeb Burton spun coming out of Turn 3 (Pocono is a triangle, there's no Turn 4) and spun into pit road. He slid by me and hit the inner pit wall about 20 feet past where I was. Sadly, I had been talking to the safety worker next to me, and while I saw the whole thing happen, I didn't have the camera up to catch him go by. Here he is on pit road where it finally stopped.

JM_2015_08_01_Pocono_003-XL.jpg

5 - You know I have to include something aviation-related! Two USAF CV-22 Ospreys did the pre-race fly over.

JM_2015_08_02_CV-22B_09-0046_004-XL.jpg

6 - He's coming right at us!

JM_2015_08_01_Pocono_Cup_1_001-XL.jpg

7 - So what was I saying, twenty five years and I'd never seen a car spin into pit road? So how about two days in a row? Early in Sunday's Sprint Cup race, Kasey Kahne did the same thing - his skid marks on the track and into pit road were just about exactly on top of those left by Burton the day before, but Kahne hit about 3 pit stalls farther into the pits.

JM_2015_08_02_Pocono_Cup_5_001-XL.jpg

8 - Trevor Bayne stops for tires and gas in 13 seconds.

JM_2015_08_02_Pocono_Cup_6_001-XL.jpg

9 - Kurt Busch makes a quick stop.

JM_2015_08_02_Pocono_Cup_41_001-XL.jpg

Nice pics! I am originally from Ma, use to have season tickets at Loudon for the fall race.

Moved to Fl and so far went to one 500, the one Jr one! Jr, Kurt and Shrub Bush fan myself,

the wife follows Kasey Khane. My buddy told me Pocono is huge, so big you can't see the whole

track from one seat. Definitely like that last pic, 41 Stewart Haas's Kurt Busch!---John

Nothing wrong with 82mph as long as they're not weaving in and out of traffic. If everyone would stay out of the left lane like they're supposed to we'd have a lot more relaxed speeding violations. Although the municipalities would still want the people's money. Don't get me started.

Nice shots. I was at Mid Ohio a few weeks ago for the Indy weekend. You could get some nice shots there there's good vantage points all over the track.

Cool images!!

82 in a 65...that's reckless period. I'm quite certain you're not a professionally trained driver (in your delusions maybe) and thus you have no clue how a vehicle that is not optimized for those speeds will react. Not to mention the entitled attitude that how dare you such a fine driver get ticketed by the dousche cop so you can fund his doughnut habit. Let's just hope you're careless attitude about the lives of others (because that's what will happen at that speed you'll kill yourselves or someone else) doesn't get you a vehicular homicide conviction on of these days....don't bend over for the soap.

82 in today's cars really isn't anything. Most major highways upped their speed limits to 70s in the last few years especially here in Ohio. It's not the speed that is wreck less it's the manner of how you are driving. Weaving in and out of traffic and cutting people off is extremely wreck less and those people should be ticketed. Going 82 in a 65 or 55, really why should there be a difference on a highway, when there's little to no traffic isn't a problem at all. I've passed cops on the Ohio turnpike with the cruise set at 80 and sl is 70 and not been pulled over because I'm driving in a respectful manner.

Been a professional driver for almost ten years now and am constantly undergoing training.

Thanks guys, I appreciate it!

Nice pics! I am originally from Ma, use to have season tickets at Loudon for the fall race.

Moved to Fl and so far went to one 500, the one Jr one! Jr, Kurt and Shrub Bush fan myself,

the wife follows Kasey Khane. My buddy told me Pocono is huge, so big you can't see the whole

track from one seat. Definitely like that last pic, 41 Stewart Haas's Kurt Busch!---John

Thanks, John! Yes, Pocono is a big place - 2 1/2 miles around, and it's a triangle, with Turn 2, the Tunnel Turn, opposite the main grandstands. I sit in the top row for the Cup race, and you can see most everything (a few spots are blocked by stuff in the infield) but the cars look pretty small going over the Tunnel. A few years back, I used to help an ARCA team at Pocono, and got to spot during a couple of practice sessions - you make good use of the binoculars for that!

And speaking of the younger Busch...after last week's race at Watkins Glen, I took a ride over to Concord Airport and caught some of the team jets arriving. Got to see Kyle come off Joe Gibbs' jet carrying the little one. Here's a shot from Pocono practice:

JM_2015_07_31_Cup_18_001-XL.jpg

Nice shots. I was at Mid Ohio a few weeks ago for the Indy weekend. You could get some nice shots there there's good vantage points all over the track.

Thanks! I want to get to a road course one of these days. Been looking at VIR or Road Atlanta, but the schedule just hasn't worked out.

Thanks! I want to get to a road course one of these days. Been looking at VIR or Road Atlanta, but the schedule just hasn't worked out.

I wish that IndyCar would come back out here to Laguna Seca. I'd love to get some shots of them coming through the Corkscrew. My uncle and I have been to two past races there and it was absolutely awesome.

Nice shots indeed (except for Kyles ride...not a fan of his :P). I have been to Pocono a few times but not in a couple of years. Great area not just for racing either. The last couple seasons I have been trying to hit some different tracks. I have Bristol and 'Dega' circled for next season.

Thanks for sharing!

Regards,

Don.