All,

I just saw this online; judging by the upturned exhausts and the tell-tale olive drab lettering on the tailboom, it looks to be an MH-60M:

http://news.yahoo.com/u-military-helicopter-crashes-waters-off-okinawa-media-071803829.html

Initial reports indicate that the crew and passengers survived, thankfully. Let's all hope and pray for their speedy recovery.

it are the things you do not see in the picture that has me puzzled. Why is part of the tail rotor assembly wrapped in tarp ? And where is the rotor mast ? That does not come off easy and is normally still very visible in a crash.

it are the things you do not see in the picture that has me puzzled. Why is part of the tail rotor assembly wrapped in tarp ? And where is the rotor mast ? That does not come off easy and is normally still very visible in a crash.

My thoughts exactly! Normally the head isn't ripped off during a crash. Unless this helo had a different rotor system if you know what I mean!!!

Tim

My thoughts exactly! Normally the head isn't ripped off during a crash. Unless this helo had a different rotor system if you know what I mean!!!

Tim

Interesting take, I was thinking the same thing. However, one report said that there were Japanese special ops guys among the injured. If this was a highly classified version of the H-60, I'd be surprised that they are using it for routine training missions with foreign troops.

It's also a bit curious that every report I've read calls the helo an "H-60". Never seen this referenced before. In previous incidents, the military has had no problems using the full designation of the helo. If this was an MH-60M, why not just call it that?

Not to start a conspiracy theory, but it's obvious the 160th covered this stuff up for a reason. My take is that helo had something on it that was classified, and not necessarily stealthy. Probably something new to spec ops helos.

Tim

Their photos go more to deflate a conspiracy than enhance one. The closeup of the tail shows a normal rotor blade with tip damage and the composite folding stabilator common to that series aircraft. One could also reasonably think that any "civil" aircraft that came close to approaching a "secret" would get chased away pronto and likely have their photography or video footage confiscated. But that may depend on right of the media in Japanese territory to cover this type of incident.

It's interesting to see the main rotor head and transmission separated from the aircraft. It's under the green cover just beyond the fuselage, broken blades sticking out.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

Their photos go more to deflate a conspiracy than enhance one. The closeup of the tail shows a normal rotor blade with tip damage and the composite folding stabilator common to that series aircraft. One could also reasonably think that any "civil" aircraft that came close to approaching a "secret" would get chased away pronto and likely have their photography or video footage confiscated. But that may depend on right of the media in Japanese territory to cover this type of incident.

It's interesting to see the main rotor head and transmission separated from the aircraft. It's under the green cover just beyond the fuselage, broken blades sticking out.

Chris M

Regarding the media, the US is pretty much tip-toeing lightly to avoid offending the citizens on Okinawa, most of whom want to shut down all US bases. I don't think we would be in a position to chase off their media from flying near a vessel in their territorial waters.

It does seem unusual to have the entire rotor head separate. I've seen plenty of pics of H-60's on their sides after crash-landings and the rotor head was always intact. Must have been a pretty violent crash. Given the location (close to the bow of the ship), those guys are lucky they didn't go over the side.

Can't make out the serial number of the helo, will be interesting to see if this one is repaired or scrapped.

John

Edited by 11bee

will be interesting to see if this one is repaired or scrapped.

John

That decision depends on the nature of the accident. The rotor system was probably shock-stopped and that will inflict severe loads on the transmission. That system will most likely be scrapped. The engines can probably be re-built. If the main cabin and tailboom appear to be straight, I'd guess they will strip both back to their structural frames and stick them in a jig, perhaps at Sikorsky, to ensure everything is truly straight. If they are straight or some structural members can be easily replaced, the rebuild can begin. It all comes down to cost in the end. Is it cheaper to rebuild it or scrap it and order a new airframe? Given that this is the 160th, I'd say the airframe will be replaced if it isn't rebuilt.

Most importantly, nobody was killed in this accident.

LD.

http://flyteam.jp/photo/1614195

Try this. Looks plane Jane MH-60M to me. Note it has the 63 in the door window.It was also photographed in the USA at Joint Base Lewis- McChord which means it's parent unit is in the 4/160th. The picture is on Airfighters.com and was taken by Aaron Rhodes.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

http://flyteam.jp/photo/1614195

Try this. Looks plane Jane MH-60M to me. Note it has the 63 in the door window.It was also photographed in the USA at Joint Base Lewis- McChord which means it's parent unit is in the 4/160th. The picture is on Airfighters.com and was taken by Aaron Rhodes.

Chris M

I assume this is OUR Aaron Rhode, AKA Strikeeagle801? That is a great shot, by the way.

Ray

If the '63' taped in the window is unique to this aircraft, then it was in Iraq in October 2014 too:

The taped numbers are used throughout 160th's MH-60's. I just saw photos taken within the last 60 days of US based MH-60's on the East coast with with the same 61, 62 etc in the door. But given that the photo taken in Japan shows the 63 AND the serial number 20274 plus the wreck showing the same I'd be very comfortable in saying they are the same. Was it the same one in the refuel video? Maybe, maybe not. With out seeing the serial you would have to precisely identify something about the 63 to say it 20274. The numbers look to be applied the same way and proportion but the doors are opposite sides. But the others I have seen which ARE NOT in the video are applied with the same geometric proportion. Maybe someone who was there could say.

Chris M

Edited by Chief Snake

I think the numbers are a form of the old "chalk numbers" we used to use in multi-ship flights. Super 64 was a callsign and remains recognizable to this day. The six series of numbers is probably a homage to the past and they can be assigned to any aircraft at any time. They could also serve as loading signs for troops coming into an LZ and boarding designated aircraft. On the UH-1 we used to put a colored number in the holder of the doorpost for exactly that purpose. Guys told to get on "green 2" knew right where to go.

Chris M

I know the MH-60M helo I'm working on had 63 on the cargo doors, but the serial was 20276. I got it from a pic I saw earlier in the year and that A/C was also based out of JBLM.

JM2CW!

Tim

I think the numbers are a form of the old "chalk numbers" we used to use in multi-ship flights. Super 64 was a callsign and remains recognizable to this day. The six series of numbers is probably a homage to the past and they can be assigned to any aircraft at any time. They could also serve as loading signs for troops coming into an LZ and boarding designated aircraft. On the UH-1 we used to put a colored number in the holder of the doorpost for exactly that purpose. Guys told to get on "green 2" knew right where to go.

Chris M

This would definitely make a lot of sense. Thanks for the info!

Edited by thatguy96

Makes sense. That being said, another web site has jumped on the conspiracy bandwagon.

http://theaviationist.com/2015/08/12/160th-soar-mh-60m-covered-crash/

Take EVERYTHING on that site with a large spoonful of salt. He's a typical av journalist that uses big words and scary headlines to drum up readers. Most of his stories can easily debunked.

Take EVERYTHING on that site with a large spoonful of salt. He's a typical av journalist that uses big words and scary headlines to drum up readers. Most of his stories can easily debunked.

Trust me, I do. Lots of sites like that out there, often just a flashy headline for a non-story, simply to generate traffic. That being said, this particular site isn't all bad. On occasion it's got interesting stuff. The MH-60 story appears to be much ado about nothing though.

• 1 year later...

Yes it was ours from Fort Lewis, no there isn't a conspiracy.  When you are in a special operations unit doing special operations things and crash a helo and then a the Japanese search and rescue d-bags records the incident and gives it to the news station and then a news helo shows up you cover the aircraft in an attempt to protect your special operations unit. There are lots of sensitive things on our birds so you try to cover the bird as fast as you can.  I have seen lots of pictures on here of our birds and it is a bit upsetting to say the least.  I know it helps you build and that is why I joined, to assist and try to ensure that sensitive things get removed if they are posted.  The term H-60 is used a lot because it references the entire line of hawk helos without being specific when there is no need to be specific.  There is only one unit in the entire world that operates the MH-60M so if you are trying to stay as lowkey as possible you use the term H-60. The cargo door window markings are chalk markings for the troops getting in and out and yes like Gothic Serpent their call sign was Super, hence Super 63, in Iraq in 2008 we were Snatch ect.  You can see 50 series 90 series 40 series ect..  Yes the sudden stoppage created huge damage and no nothing was straight although it may look it.  The main rotor system separated from the fuselage while the aircraft was still in flight.  Yes all my friends lived and all of our customers lived but two seriously injured.