So I just recently saw a built Su-22 and it may be just what I need to get out of my current rut. The KP/Eduard kits are out there if you're ready to drop some serious coinage, and the Smer kits are much more readily available and cheaper. Of course I know what this means...you get what you pay for...but is the Smer really that much worse? And while we're on the subject, is there anyone willing to part with sn extra KP kit you have in the stash? I will buy or trade, and I have many OOP kits, detail sets, decals etc. so try me.

Thanks and happy modeling

Trumpeter was working on one as I recall... I think prototype pics made the rounds a few years back

I think I remember that as well. I should probably just wait. I've been burned like that before. Working on a bear of a kit, rescribing panel lines etc, and a brand new high tech kit of the same subject comes out.

That could be a long wait yet Sabastian, if you can grab a Kopro/KP/Smer kit then grab it. They are very good even with age. Panel lines are recessed albeit a bit soft and shallow but easily fixed. I am busy with the Su25K and with only a Quickboost seat extra, it's building into a great model.

Edited by jugjunkie

I am by no means a rivet counter, but the old KP Su-22 is horrible. I've seen quite a few Fitters in real life and that kit just doesn't look like one. Had one and sold it. Paitently awaiting a kit that looks like a Fitter. There will be one eventually and until then, have loads of stuff to build....

I am by no means a rivet counter, but the old KP Su-22 is horrible. I've seen quite a few Fitters in real life and that kit just doesn't look like one. Had one and sold it. Paitently awaiting a kit that looks like a Fitter. There will be one eventually and until then, have loads of stuff to build....

I did the same and I want the same.

Kopro kit, which is the same as the one SMER going to release, doesnt look bad when built well and with this kind of perseverance.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234984877-su-22m4-eduard-kopro-148/?hl=arkady72

You will see a lot of Kopro kits built to perfection, if you search modeling forum,not just this one.

Uh-huh... Me agrees with whut my mate stalal has just typed above. Yeh, me does.

Me disagrees. There are many great builds made by very talented builders but the kit itself has shape problems. KP messed up the front fuselage and canopy. There's no aftermarket fix in 1/48 probably because it would be too expensive to produce and painful to use. The only existing aftermarket improvement is the 1/72 Pavla vacu canopy for the Bilek/Italeri kit.

Real Fitter vs Armin's Knes build

Edited by Laurent

KP messed up the front fuselage and canopy. There's no aftermarket fix in 1/48 probably because it would be too expensive to produce and painful to use.

Real Fitter vs Armin's Knes build

:woot.gif:Monsieur Stern!

Crikey! :blink: Point taken... Didn't know 'bout that. Incidentally, could ya please elaborate on why an aftermarket fix for the 1/48 KP forward fuselage/canopy would be too painful to use...?

Cheers, mon ami.

UncÂČ

could ya please elaborate on why an aftermarket fix for the 1/48 KP forward fuselage/canopy would be too painful to use...?

Well it's just that I believe that a growing number of modelers are reluctant to saw their kits to pieces. The real problem would be the cost I believe. New canopy and windscreen would probably imply a need forward fuselage but then a new cockpit, intake center body and FLG bay would be necessary too. Situation would be similar to Komplekt Zip Su-24 correction/detail set for the Trumpy Su-24. Best option would be a new Su-17/22 kit I believe.