!/48 F-111 kit choice??

I have both and both kits have their inacuracies which I'm sure others will fill you in on. But for me its the miss shaped canopy on the Hobby Boss kit combined with all the random yet uniform surface detail that made me realise the Academy kit "LOOKS" more like an F-111 even though it is the less detailed of the two kits. I have tried kit bashing them both but got discouraged in the process. So now I have decided to wait for another kit manufacturer who actually might take this aircraft seriously.

The latest Academy F-111C repop incorporates a number of subtle improvements and a very accurate PAVE Tack pod (even if it is a scab on). The inlets still suck, as do the nozzles, but there is a nice aftermarket option for the former. The thing I highly recommend is making an internal support to prevent the biggest construction complaint--the buckling of the weak joint on the upper fuselage.

100513-15F-111Acaseambrace.jpg

You can find some useful tips here and here (the first of multiple articles).

Good luck!

Edited by mrvark

Open the HB canopies up - and source & install a spare Academy windscreen, doing so largely dispels any shape/sightline issue, then you get to enjoy the superior surface detailing and ease of assembly vs. Academy, only because you asked :thumbsup:

I remember seeing an article, I think on hyperscale, about using a vacuum form canopy that is available from squadron, to replace the imaccurate windscreen of the Hobby Boss kit. The Hobby Boss kit has beautiful detailing and looks good when built up. Then again, I'm no expert on the F-111.

Edited by B.Sin

One more tip--the F-111 wings were dead level (no dihedral/anhedral). If you make the wings of your model so they can move, they will eventually droop. Decide what angle you want them at and glue them in that position.