New tool Hasegawa 1/32 A6M5c

I love the new(ish)Hasegawa 1/32 aircraft kits and hope this this will be one of that series. However, I have a concern that this is merely a re-release of their ancient 1/32 A6M5c kit. Is there anyone here that confirm that this is indeed a new tool kit and not just a re-pop with a couple of new tool parts?

I love the new(ish)Hasegawa 1/32 aircraft kits and hope this this will be one of that series. However, I have a concern that this is merely a re-release of their ancient 1/32 A6M5c kit. Is there anyone here that confirm that this is indeed a new tool kit and not just a re-pop with a couple of new tool parts?

The red logo below "2015 New" is "完全新金型" = Completely New Mold

I'm a little surprised.

I would have thought a new Hayabusa would be a better pick for re-tooling since there's no Tamiya Hayabusa to compete with.

But this could be nice I guess, and certainly fits in the recent pattern of Hasegawa releases.

In the end, they may wind up doing Zero versions that Tamiya didn't, so this could be good for japanese aircraft fans.

Now that they have started on the path of re-tooling old subjects from their catalog, I hope that the Hayabusa and Hellcat will be considered for re-tooling in the near future. Not much point in re-doing the Mustang, Spitfire, Bf109E I guess, since those are being covered by other companies.

I would have expected a Val or a Kate from Hasegawa.

Tamiya has dominated the Zero market for a while, I'm not sure how Hasegawa expects to compete with them (maybe a Rufe?)

The Tamiya A6M's are now fairly affordable, there shouldn't be a big price difference between the two in the end.

Terrific box art though.

Edited by tourist

Tamiya has dominated the Zero market for a while, I'm not sure how Hasegawa expects to compete with them (maybe a Rufe?)

The Tamiya A6M's are now fairly affordable, there shouldn't be a big price difference between the two in the end.

Terrific box art though.

I've been looking for a Tamiya A6m2 for a couple years to build a Rufe out of (somebody sells a conversion). Can be done with an A6m5 Zero, but it's a major project. I'd have rather seen a 1/32 Rufe like you, or better yet a Pete. I will buy the 1/48th float plane they just announced.

gary

Terrific box art though.

How will they compete? Probably by offering more versions than just the 2 that Tamiya did.

I've been looking for a Tamiya A6m2 for a couple years to build a Rufe out of (somebody sells a conversion). Can be done with an A6m5 Zero, but it's a major project. I'd have rather seen a 1/32 Rufe like you, or better yet a Pete. I will buy the 1/48th float plane they just announced.

gary

No, it really cannot be done with the A6M5 kit as the wing and fuselage are too different from the A6M2. You might just as well buy an A6M2 and the conversion if you're going to throw that much at an A6M5 to get an A6M2N out of it.

As I said over at LSP, this is pleasant surprise but a surprise nonetheless. With some clever engineering/tooling, Hasegawa can get all the variants of the A6M5 from one set of molds (and some addendum molds for the differing parts between 52, 52a, 52b and 52c)

Edited by timc

I've built both tamiya's zeros. They are amazing kits. Probably my best experiences in model making. These would be hard to beat but looking forward to seeing the new models.

I would love to get a big scale val though!

How will they compete? Probably by offering more versions than just the 2 that Tamiya did.

Shouldn't they then have started with an A6M3 as Jennings suggested?

It is highly unlikely that the Hasegawa A6M5 will have more or better details or a even better fit than the Tamiya kit.

Once you take into account the fact that most modelers who want a 1/32 A6M5 already have a Tamiya kit and that the prices will be in the same range, I ask again; how do they expect to compete with Tamiya?

The very existence of the Tamiya kit means diminished expectations for the Hasegawa A6M5.

Considering that Tamiya's Zero is only for the baseline A6M5 and not the A6M5c Hei model the new tool Hasegawa is for, I think it's a bit unfair to slam Hasegawa at this point as they're of two different variants.

I am not trying to slam Hasegawa, I like their kits.

I'm just surprised by their choice.

You're right the "c" variant might be a selling point.

Shouldn't they then have started with an A6M3 as Jennings suggested?

It is highly unlikely that the Hasegawa A6M5 will have more or better details or a even better fit than the Tamiya kit.

Once you take into account the fact that most modelers who want a 1/32 A6M5 already have a Tamiya kit and that the prices will be in the same range, I ask again; how do they expect to compete with Tamiya?

The very existence of the Tamiya kit means diminished expectations for the Hasegawa A6M5.

They won't be in the same price range.

Tamiya Zero is 8000y retail, Hasegawa will be 5000y retail.

And some people may value the simpler build of the Hasegawa since it will likely have less parts, and won't have the perhaps needless retractable landing gear gimmick of the Tamiya version.

The Tamiya kit may be ideal for a person who wants to build one 'perfect' Zero for their collection. Perhaps their are japanese aircraft enthusiasts who want to build several 1/32 Zeroes... the Hasegawa kit would be better for them.

I am all for this. I really don't understand the lack of Japanese builds I see....sure there are a few, but they aren't near as prevalent as other subjects. Of course there isn't much in the way of 1/32 anyway...so maybe this will stimulate that since it will most assuredly be more accessible to budget minded folks than the Tamiya kit.

I always giggle when people who likely haven't ever run a successful business (presumably admittedly) question the business decisions of successful ones.

I'm sure they will do just fine. They will have their market. Besides, when these "they should have made a so and so because we already have one of these" discussions come up everyone seems to forget just how much most of us or hoarders. "Oh new too Zero...but I have three of the Tamiya kits...doesn't matter...NEW KIT!!!" **add to cart** :rolleyes:

I am all for this. I really don't understand the lack of Japanese builds I see....sure there are a few, but they aren't near as prevalent as other subjects. Of course there isn't much in the way of 1/32 anyway...so maybe this will stimulate that since it will most assuredly be more accessible to budget minded folks than the Tamiya kit.

I always giggle when people who likely haven't ever run a successful business (presumably admittedly) question the business decisions of successful ones.

I'm sure they will do just fine. They will have their market. Besides, when these "they should have made a so and so because we already have one of these" discussions come up everyone seems to forget just how much most of us or hoarders. "Oh new too Zero...but I have three of the Tamiya kits...doesn't matter...NEW KIT!!!" **add to cart** :rolleyes:/>

Yup, that describes me pretty well. I have 2 Tamiya Zeroes in the stash and I still plan to get the Hasegawa kit.

Not much in the way of japanese 1/32 kits???

Hasegawa: 1/32 Hien, 1/32 Shoki, 1/32 Hayate, 1/32 Raiden, 1/32 George, 1/32 Oscar(OLD)

Zoukei Mura: 1/32 Raiden, 1/32 Shinden

Tamiya: 1/32 Zero (x2)

I giggle when someone tries to make a point yet admits in his own sentence he doesn't know what he's talking about. :rolleyes:/> :rolleyes:/>

I don't doubt at all that there may be folks who spout the "how will they compete with..." baloney who have run successful businesses. Which just makes the argument all that more ridiculous. But c'mon let's face it...it's the internet and some people just live to be contrarians and will say whatever they think makes them sound enlightened.

Edited by jinmmydel

But to be fair, there isn't a Tamiya 1/32 A6M5 type 52c, so why are you a little suprised? Tamiya still hasn't done a 1/32 scale type 22 or type 32 Zero either for that matter, so there are still Japanese Zero aircraft to be done by both companies if they so chose.

Brad

I'm a little surprised.

I would have thought a new Hayabusa would be a better pick for re-tooling since there's no Tamiya Hayabusa to compete with.

But this could be nice I guess, and certainly fits in the recent pattern of Hasegawa releases.

In the end, they may wind up doing Zero versions that Tamiya didn't, so this could be good for japanese aircraft fans.

Now that they have started on the path of re-tooling old subjects from their catalog, I hope that the Hayabusa and Hellcat will be considered for re-tooling in the near future. Not much point in re-doing the Mustang, Spitfire, Bf109E I guess, since those are being covered by other companies.

Edited by Brad-M

But to be fair, there isn't a Tamiya 1/32 A6M5 type 52c, so why are you a little suprised? Tamiya still hasn't done a 1/32 scale type 22 or type 32 Zero either for that matter, so there are still Japanese Zero aircraft to be done by both companies if they so chose.

Brad

Well.... I'm sure to a hardcore Zero enthusiast, the distinction between an A6M5 and an A6M5c is significant. But to a more generalized enthusiast like myself, they're both just late model Zeroes that pretty much come in green, green, and green.

The Hayabusa just seems like a bigger gap to fill. The only existing kit is quite dated now, and it's not like the Zero where at least SOME versions exist as modern kits. And it seems to me like there's a lot more variation in camo/marking schemes for the Hayabusa, making it a more tempting subject.

Let's wait and see what Hasegawa gives us before we make any comparison generalizations between the two kits. On the face of it, there are some obvious differences between the basic A6M5 and the A6M5c, not the least significant of which is the wing mounted 13mm machine guns outboard of the 20mm cannon.

I'm willing to bet that Hasegawa has tooled the kit in such a way that they can produce an A6M5, A6M5a, A6M5b as well as the upcoming A6M5c. They can pretty much get all A6M5's into a box with just a few well designed inserts in the cowl and wings. With the exception of some minor cockpit changes (i.e. the seat and armored glass of the 52c) there's not much to change to get the others.