Indycar's Justin Wilson has passed.

During the late stages of the Pocono race Justin was struck in the head by the nose cone of another crashed car. He was air lifted to the hospital and I just saw a medical update that he suffered a severe head injury and was in a coma in critical condition.

One of the nicest guys in the paddock. Really hope he pulls through.

Edited by Bigasshammm

I watched it happen live on TV yesterday and at first never thought that it was as serious as it was. Even the announcers were initially very "ho-hum" about it. I mean we have seen debris from wrecks flying through the air countless times and rarely (if ever) has it caused a serious/life threatening injury to a driver such as this. I guess its amazing that something like this hasn't happened before or more regularly considering the open cockpit nature of open wheeled racing. Scary to watch...

Thoughts and prayers to Justin Wilson and his family.

Don.

Yeah I was watching live. Figured he cut a tire and spun into the wall. But then watching the reaction of the safety crews I immediately knew something very bad was happening. My wife came in and asked why I was standing in front of the TV.

A couple years ago anothe Indy driver was hit in the head on the Indianapolis road course. He didn't lose consciousness but did get a concussion. Still more years back F1 driver Felipe Massa hit a spring that fell out of the car in front of him. Instantly kno led him out causing him to go straight into the wall. Scary part was it almost pierced his helmet which would have been very bad. He was in a coma for a few days and is now back to driving.

Here's to hoping.

Jules Bianchi another F1 driver just lost his battle to a head injury a few weeks ago. His was more serious though as his head contacted the underside of a crane that was removing another car. He was in coma for about 9 months.

Open cockpits are scary but the alternatives are also scary. Idk if I'd want to be in a closed cockpit open wheel car. If it flips and catches fire you're likely trapped.

Haven't followed racing for years, but I still watch the Indy 500 every year, so I knew who he was. May he RIP. My sincerest condolences go out to his family, friends, teammates, and fans.

Joel