Revell F-101B 1-72nd Scale Flaps

Ok, I give...

I have returned to the Revell F-101B Voodoo 1/72nd scale kit. Really like the kit, but I'm having issues.

One of them is trying to determine what position the flaps are supposed to be in when they are extended.

I have seen them in different configurations, from slightly open like a clam shell, to hanging down at almost a 45 degree angle.

With the Kit parts, it seems like the only way to have them is extended all the way down, or cut the little triangle "feet" off and close them.

Anybody got any info on this? I have googled it, and normally with the bird on the ground the flaps are closed.

Sometimes the speed brakes are open and flaps closed, and sometimes everything is closed.

Also, I seem to be missing any landing light pieces, did everybody make their own from sprue and clear glue?

And there doesn't seem to be any apparent location to attach the main gear.

I think I can see where everything attaches, but am not sure.

AND the carpet monster ate the Flight control stick. But that's my fault....

Jester

Jester,

F-101's had two flap positions - up or down. Flaps were down for takeoff and landing. My reference material doesn't state the flap angle when selected down, but I'm sure that information is out there. I've seen any number of photos with flaps up or down when parked, so the choice is yours.

As to the landing gear having no "apparent" attachment point, there actually is if you look at the instructions (not saying you weren't). The attachment point sort of looks like an ellipse except that the ends are pointed and not rounded (like an ellipse would be). It's just flat but the retraction strut will offer more strength.

Cheers,

Tom

Yep, the 101 was one of the few jets with "up" or "down" options. The other notable one was (is) the B-52. No intermediate setting. It's zero or 40.

The F-15 is another that has "up/down" flaps. At least on the A, B, C, D