Well, when I made some dry fit attempts on the superstructure-to-main deck here is what I was left with:

IMG_20150920_123514296_zpscjibedqi.jpg

IMG_20150920_123524191_zpscpapc2bv.jpg

IMG_20150920_123550203_zpscloelev8.jpg

OUCH!

I scratched my head and pondered how to address the rather significant gap and came up with a two part solution. Part one was to remove the entire portside lower bulkhead (below the hangar bay and a portion of the flight deck) as it was way off and was pretty much unfixable. I would then scratch build a new bulkhead to take into account the crazy size differential. The second part was to ever...ever...so carefully clamp the superstructure to the deck using adjustable clamps while the glue set (care had to be taken to apply just enough pressure to close the gap...or as much of it as possible...but NOT pop any seams). I also had to make sure the portside rear portion of the superstructure and both the starboard and portside forward portions of the superstructure fit flush to the hull sides as they do on the real AEGIS Cruisers (you guessed it...fit was terrible so I went my own way and ignored the kits instructions). Notice the bridge assembly has also been added... which again was built my own way and completely deviated from the kit instructions so as to avoid further fit problems. The results:

IMG_20150924_113520_zpsuhxvsvbv.jpg

IMG_20150924_113600_zpskcgwex8u.jpg

IMG_20150924_113446_zpsmbfinhv0.jpg

IMG_20150924_113310_zpshhq4nety.jpg

IMG_20150924_113354_zpsarwofkyn.jpg

IMG_20150924_104252960_zpsspvfh20w.jpg

Compare the photos and its clear that the gap has significantly been closed...not perfect at all...but a massive improvement in my humble opinion. Oh, and I will add some PE doors to replace those lost on my scratch built bulkhead.

Primer is next (I will post photos when completed) followed by deck painting and then hull/superstructure sides. Then I can continue building up from there. I need to decide when to start adding the PE handrails too...I have no idea when is a good time?

Well I could go on but I have rambled along enough here. Apologies Gents.

Work continues. Stay tuned.

Thank you all for taking the time to look and/or comment. Much appreciated!

Happy modeling all!

Regards,

Don.

Have you checked the deck and superstructure for straightness? It's tough to maintain a straight lines when long, flat objects (ie ship parts) are glued to each other, and it can cause fit problems like this.

A metal ruler is good for this.

Have you checked the deck and superstructure for straightness?

Oh indeed. The deck is level as I made sure of that when I determined that it initially wasn't. The superstructure has...or rather had...a lot of warped parts. I did my best to straighten them but they were pretty terrible. The superstructure was the offending assembly causing the huge gap because it wasn't straight and true, nor was it even close. Fortunately it was flexible enough that by clamping it down to the deck and removing that one worst section of bulkhead I was able to pull the majority of that gap closed. Replacing the removed bulkhead was easy with Evergreen strip and required no filler.

The forward portion of the superstructure/bridge assembles like this in the plans, bridge top first (please pardon my writing...I make all sorts of notes on my plans):

IMG_20151002_132010_zpsvk3akcrg.jpg

Forward superstructure:

IMG_20151002_131915_zpsbndlekd5.jpg

Then they all come together:

IMG_20151002_132137_zpsnk0gjuj8.jpg

If you follow the plans you will end up with a huge step on both the port and starboard sides of the forward superstructure where they should fit flush to the hull sides. Fixing that step will be a gigantic headache. So instead I glued the forward superstructure bulkhead (E17) to the sides (E18 and E19) and let the adhesive dry. Then I glued E17 to the deck and let it cure. Then I glued E18 to the deck making sure that it was flush with the hull sides. When cured I repeated the process with E19. Finally I removed all of the interior portions of the rear bulkhead of the forward superstructure (D6) and drop fit it in its location, gluing it from behind. Doing this allowed an almost flush fit with the hull sides (filler still required as my photos above (yesterdays post) illustrate but nowhere near as terrible as if I followed the kits assembly instructions).

The bridge assembly (step #10 above) was added last and wasn't particularly terrible. I simply did some sanding and grinding of both it (step #10) and the forward superstructure opening and it dropped in quite nicely.

Thank you all for you comments and suggestions! I do VERY much appreciate it... every little tidbit helps a newbie ship modeler.

Happy modeling and have a great weekend!

Regards,

Don.

All of the upper superstructure that has been assembled so far and attached has been primed and is looking MUCH more ship-shape then my last series of update photos showed it to be (IMHO of course ;) ):

IMG_20151001_125000_zpsa1hxdfza.jpg

IMG_20151001_124939_zpsd5rbtrgd.jpg

IMG_20151001_124831_zpsi4cxude0.jpg

IMG_20151001_124801_zpsr3zidmch.jpg

I have a few areas that will need a touch more filler and sanding but overall I am quite pleased with how everything is looking considering the nightmarish fit in significant areas of the kit. I am particularly happy with the flush fit where the portside forward and rear areas of the superstructure as well as the starboard forward section of the superstructure meet with the lower hull. I hope to begin painting the deck and upper nonskid surfaces within a couple days and following masking it off by painting the hull and superstructure sides.

Work continues slow but steady :salute: .

Thanks all for taking the time to look.

Happy modeling!

Regards,

Don.