1/35 USCG MH-65C HITRON

IMG_20150828_083232468_zpsyji3vu27.jpg

The kids are both in school and I am ready to get back on the workbench. Maybe I can finish a model sometime in the next year.

I'm not going to go into all the issues with this kit. I think that has been covered already. I will point out for those that have not seen both versions Trumpeter has released, I was surprised with all the differences between the two kits. Usually when a company releases a new "version" its got a few new parts, but this has a new cockpit/cabin floor, new front and center console, all new seats, and even the fuselage half's are different. I will admit that with all the obvious research and work they put into both kits, the obvious mistakes like the number of fenstron blades, no SATCOM antenna and wheels were not caught. And I will never understand their attempt at replicating the rotor droop.

So my plan is to do a HITRON aircraft, specifically aircraft 6518 when it was a "Charlie" model. I have a few pictures of it having a crosshair logo on the vertical stabilizer. So, I'll need to have some decals made up eventually. I'm guessing some aftermarket photo etch will be released before too long. It will be wheels down on the ground, pilot and side doors open and weapons displayed. If I can rig the radar dome and engine cover to display open and closed I might dress both areas up a little.

I'll do my best to keep everyone updated on my progress and let you know of any fit issues I find. I think I've googled every walkaround available for this aircraft, but if anyone has good pictures of the cockpit/cabin it would be appreciated.

Edited by Tgoetz

Right off I caught a small issue. Easily fixed, unless you follow the instructions and glue parts R1 and R2 together first. All my references show that area to be flush with the rest of the side console. You can see the gap left in the middle by gluing the parts separately and flush with the side of the middle console. The gap should not be visible after installing the front console.

IMG_20150828_121800463_zpsczeej8t4.jpg

I worked a little on the seats. The frames on the pilots seats are a little different than the flight mechanic seat. The kit seats are the same for all three and represent the rear flight mechanic seat. I'm going to try scratch the front frames.

Right off I caught a small issue. Easily fixed, unless you follow the instructions and glue parts R1 and R2 together first. All my references show that area to be flush with the rest of the side console. You can see the gap left in the middle by gluing the parts separately and flush with the side of the middle console. The gap should not be visible after installing the front console.

IMG_20150828_121800463_zpsczeej8t4.jpg

I worked a little on the seats. The frames on the pilots seats are a little different than the flight mechanic seat. The kit seats are the same for all three and represent the rear flight mechanic seat. I'm going to try scratch the front frames.

Good catch on the forward circuit breaker panels. The center console aft of the CDUs is offset to the left to make room for the pilots collective. Here are a couple pics I just shot in the hangar.

bfPKlU8.jpg

nBBT4T5.jpg

2umrZDJ.jpg

"The center console aft of the CDUs is offset to the left to make room for the pilots collective."

I didn't see that. Thanks. The CDU's are also set parallel to the floor, when it looks like they should be at the same angle as the rest of the console. Not a fun correction. Great pictures by the way!

Todd

Edited by Tgoetz

No prob on the pics, I'll be doing a full walk around once my computer and camera show up in a couple weeks (just transferred). Remember, this is an HH kit not an MH kit, lack of SATCOM, and the 11 bladed tail are correct, those were MH mods (and even early MH birds had 11 bladed tails). Lack of copilots lower window on the door and mising OADS are bigger issues.

Regarding the missing co-pilots window. The N2 version kit has the correct door/window. Again, looking at the details Trumpeter did get right and the fact that they already had this part molded from the first kit release, one would assume it was an oversight. Is there an AS-365 version (future release) that does not have that window open? The big question...would they provide you with the correct parts if you inquired?

But in every case it is a big missing because all copilot doors we find in the standard N3s and HH-65s have the lower window.

Yeah and to rub it in the box art shows the window as well! :bandhead2:

Thanks, I hope to do it justice. I haven't looked too close at the wheels. As I understand they are the same outside diameter, but the front wheels have a smaller rim diameter? Hoping I have a wheel in the leftover box that will be a close match.

I think a few the hardest corrections are going to be the center console and the bottom window on the co-pilot side crew door. Not the co-pilot door, but the cabin door. I noticed it is shaped wrong yesterday. I started on the center console and will post an update in the next few days.

Thanks everyone for the interest in this build.

Todd

1304312.jpg

Changes%202.jpg

IMHO they are not correct. They are aligned on the bottom side and the rear one is wider.No?!

I agree the wheels look a little off. What are you referring to about the alignment on the bottom?