1/35 USCG MH-65C HITRON

Is that painted? Wow that is so cool! How did you do it??

If you are referring to the dials...no! They are decals with a dab of Future to stimulate the glass front. The attitude indicators were made by drilling the dial face out and gluing a tube with an inside diameter that matched the dial diameter on the back of the panel. Then I took a piece of styrene rod the size of the tube inside diameter, rounded one end to stimulate the ball, painted it and pushed it through the tube until it looked right. I have a couple clear pieces punched out to make the glass fronts on them. I thought it turned out nice and gives the panel a little more depth.

Todd

Based on pictures of the actual instrument panel I think dry brushing would be a mistake. In reference pictures it appears to be a very uniform black. Now the center console could benefit from a little dry brushing of silver on the edges where it gets rubbed on from the crew and whatnot. But, I'd leave the IP alone, it looks great.

I disagree with you. In this instance drybrushing duplicates the reflection of light and not wear and tearequires therefore silver should not be used.

Edited by Rotorman

The constant Artistic approach vs. a Realistic approach argument. As it is, the IP looks very Realistic. The drybrushing, filters, shading, etc. would make it look very Artistic. It depends on which approach you are going for. Personally, I stay on the realistic side.

Edited by HeavyArty

Can anyone confirm the crew seatbelts are five point? The included kit photo etch belts are four point. I have pictures of the flight mechanics seat, which appears the same as the pilots with a different floor mounting set up and it's a five point. I assume the pilots are also, just can't find a good picture to confirm it.

Thank you. Most of what I have learned is from watching masters like yourself.

Here is the last update for a while. Busy week.

IMG_6773_zps4wqy4lfz.jpg

I really hate to critique the work Todd, but the IVSI (just to the lower right of each MFD) should be blank with power off. They are LCD displays like the MFDs and the VEMD.

Edited by SpiritZeroThree

I really hate to critique the work Todd, but the IVSI (just to the lower right of each MFD) should be blank with power off. They are LCD displays like the MFDs and the VEMD.

Criticism welcome. Just makes me want to do better. In this case I used the kit panel, which had this instrument a round dial, not a square LCD. Again, with everything else on the panel they got right (which suggests they researched it) how did they get this wrong? Maybe they are going to use this panel with one of the future versions and this was one of the differences. Regardless, I didn't fix it.

Criticism welcome. Just makes me want to do better. In this case I used the kit panel, which had this instrument a round dial, not a square LCD. Again, with everything else on the panel they got right (which suggests they researched it) how did they get this wrong? Maybe they are going to use this panel with one of the future versions and this was one of the differences. Regardless, I didn't fix it.

They got the shape right, they are round LCDs

• 4 weeks later...

Finally found a little time to work. New project at work is cutting into my play time! The seats are taking a little more time and engineering than I planned. The bottom part appears to have a sheepskin covering and I tried to replicate that with Apoxie Sculpt. Just need to do the feet for the frames, head bars and seatbelts.

IMG_6775_zpsqkdhcqwx.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Todd

• 3 weeks later...

You know that part you know needs scratch built, but not sure how you are going to do it and fear it's not going to turn out well. Very happy with how the collectives turned out!

IMG_6777_zpspowu3kd2.jpg

06d327c8-4224-4219-a72d-81518184a9ab_zpsa2v1muzn.jpg

IMG_6780_zpskmzvseuh.jpg

The seats are painted. Once they are done I think things will pick up. Finishing up on a big work project next week that should free up more time on the bench. Happy Thanksgiving.

Todd

You know that part you know needs scratch built, but not sure how you are going to do it and fear it's not going to turn out well. Very happy with how the collectives turned out!

IMG_6777_zpspowu3kd2.jpg

06d327c8-4224-4219-a72d-81518184a9ab_zpsa2v1muzn.jpg

IMG_6780_zpskmzvseuh.jpg

The seats are painted. Once they are done I think things will pick up. Finishing up on a big work project next week that should free up more time on the bench. Happy Thanksgiving.

Todd

Todd

it looks perfect from here. Pretty tight. I just bought the French Navy Version yesterday from the same kit.

Oliver

Looking good! Anticipating to see this one finished! :woot.gif: BTW anybody knows if any aftermarket is coming out with a 1/35 USCG sheet? Also would the newer French version be closer to the MH-65C esp with the window and stuff?

Todd

it looks perfect from here. Pretty tight. I just bought the French Navy Version yesterday from the same kit.

Oliver

Oliver, I'd love to see what you could with this kit! The Huey and Seahawk have been great motivators for me. Wish I had your painting/finishing skills.

Before leaving for work I dry fitted a seat and snapped a quick picture. Think I still need to tone the darker color down more. Happy with the way the sheepskin turned out.

IMG_20151127_045507_zpsgoe29drl.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Todd

Excellent work. Would you elaborate some on how you did the sheepskins on the seats. I think that's the best representation of those I've seen. What do you plan to use for the belts? Thanks.

Chuck

Excellent work. Would you elaborate some on how you did the sheepskins on the seats. I think that's the best representation of those I've seen. What do you plan to use for the belts? Thanks.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck. It was kind of tough because on the real aircraft it seems the sheepskin is sewn into and is part of the entire seat cover. It's also only on the bottom cushion. I used several products (new to me) for the first time. First I used Apoxie Sculpt to mold the area onto the seat. This stuff is so easy to work with, highly recommended. Then I used a toothbrush to pat the texture into the putty. I practiced on a few scrap pieces to get the texture I was looking for. The Apoxie Sculpt has a 2-3 hour work time, so I took my time. I tired to produce some fairly deep (relative) "holes" with the bristles of the brush, which will come into play later.

The next new product for me was Vallejo Model Air paint. I typically use acrylic paint for the interior stuff and basically anything that I won't be masking. To me acrylic is so much easier to work with and the wife doesn't complain abut the fumes. I really like the eye dropper method of dispensing the Vallejo paint, and so far it has worked fine. For the sheepskin the base coat was a 5:1 White:Light Brown, followed by a wash (where those deep bristle holes helped) of 5:1 Thinner:Middle Stone and finally a light dry brushing with white.

Edited by Tgoetz
  • 3 weeks later...

The front office is taking shape with a little color. I decided to not use the kit seat frames, so the next step is making the feet for each frame leg. I like how the cyclic and collective's turned out. Still need to dry brush and weather everything. Thanks for looking and hope everyone haves a great holiday.

IMG_20151215_112929_zpsklpyvd14.jpg

IMG_20151215_112851_zpsjv50mu4z.jpg

IMG_20151215_113105_zpsl99h4dsl.jpg

IMG_20151215_113023_zpswwc73cfb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Does anyone know if the HITRON aircraft carry the litter and rescue basket on missions? I understand they can not do hoist operations without a flight mechanic or swimmer, but don't know if they remove the equipment or just leave it on the aircraft.

Does anyone know if the HITRON aircraft carry the litter and rescue basket on missions? I understand they can not do hoist operations without a flight mechanic or swimmer, but don't know if they remove the equipment or just leave it on the aircraft.

All SAR equipment is removed for AUF missions.

Thanks Nick. What about that thing that looks like the tail section of a Sidewinder missile. I think it is an electronic location marker, and the MK58 flares (looks like 3 of them?).