1/35 USCG MH-65C HITRON

I took a couple of pics last time we did a set of nose and mains, stand by.

[ETA] and i stand corrected, the HITRON guys still carry a basket, but not the rest of the SAR equipment (swimmer gear, EMT kit, SLDMB, or AED)

The Mk 58 flares and marker beacon are carried.

Edited by SpiritZeroThree

IMG_20160121_091454_zpstacmrsdq.jpg

IMG_20160121_091520_zpsxe8bsobs.jpg

I've been bad about updates and pointing our errors that need corrected. On the co-pilot side the collective was too far forward and had to be moved back to be in line with the pilot in command collective. Because of that the search light control box had to be moved back. Neither were difficult fixes. I scratch built a new co-pilot collective, but that's not necessary. On the back wall I built new Mark 58 flares. The kit ones were undersized and lacked the detail I wanted. I also built a data marker bouy (missile looking thing...that I made out of a Sidewinder missile) that was not provided in the kit. Because of the where the bouy is stored the fin was hitting the flare, so I built the wall out a little. Overall, so far I would say the kit is not bad. Most of the inaccuracies I've found are minor and would not be obvious to most and easily corrected. I'm having fun with the research and challenge of scratch building. Just wish I had more time! Thanks to SpirtZeroThree for all the reference pics and real aircraft information.

Todd

Edited by Tgoetz
  • 1 year later...

Where did that year go?  How could it be that long?  I'll try to post a few updates soon.  

In the meantime, can anyone tell me what is used in the cabin to view the nose mounted FLIR?  Thought i saw a picture of an LCD screen mounted on a pole just behind the co-pilots seat but can't find anything now.  I know the box behind the co-pilots collective is for the search light.  And I still have not found a good picture of the M240 swivel gun mount.   I'm ready to get back to work on this project!  

On 6/25/2017 at 4:50 PM, Tgoetz said:

Where did that year go?  How could it be that long?  I'll try to post a few updates soon.  

In the meantime, can anyone tell me what is used in the cabin to view the nose mounted FLIR?  Thought i saw a picture of an LCD screen mounted on a pole just behind the co-pilots seat but can't find anything now.  I know the box behind the co-pilots collective is for the search light.  And I still have not found a good picture of the M240 swivel gun mount.   I'm ready to get back to work on this project!  

We've got 2 screens in back with the ESS installed. Top screen, installed on aircraft 99.9999999999% of the time is the flight mechs GPS. Nothing special, just an avmap ekp iv mounted to the cabin overhead. On the pole is the FLIR display and the control stick for it. The tower behind the CP seat is comms gear, FLIR anti ice control, and hoist cam control. If I get a chance I'll shoot some photos for you.

• 4 weeks later...

Armed!! 

I used the pictures I could find and finished with imagination.  The Barret 107 will be suspended from cord in the doorway.  

06ntiNR.jpg

4TwVoN8.jpg

Edited by Tgoetz
17 hours ago, Tgoetz said:

Armed!! 

I used the pictures I could find and finished with imagination.  The Barret 107 will be suspended from cord in the doorway.  

IMG_20170724_145450800_zpsc9erxqxw.jpg

IMG_20170724_145445391_zpswj1nkw70.jpg

Pictures are not showing :( with the photo bucket thing ..

All my pictures were still showing up until I logged into my account.  How kind of Photobucket to wait.  Working on getting everything switched over.  Added the two of the weapons for starters.  What a pain!  

• 11 months later...

When I started this project I wanted to try my hand at stratchbuilding.  Because I decided to redo the seats it also made me rethink how I was going to mount them .  The family left for two weeks (I couldn't go with because of work), so I buckled down and finished them.  Still have a lot to do.  The only thing that is weathered is the searchlight control.  But with the seats done it should move a lot faster.  Thanks for looking.  

gbzdp7z.jpg

qo17fMr.jpg

v6gxmPc.jpg

hXefT3h.jpg

bt7AjAZ.jpg

• 5 months later...

dH8E9hJ.jpg

JQHecmO.jpg

wOevP02.jpg

RCqwPf3.jpg

Small update, but thought maybe posting a few pictures would get me motivated.  The interior is about done, just need to add a few small bits and finish weathering.  I know there is a LCD screen in the rear for the FLIR but have been unable to find a picture of where or how it is mounted.  Any help would be appreciated, otherwise I'll just take an educated guess and do my best. 

13 minutes ago, Rotorman said:

well, this is looking excellent. Love the interior i must say. Is the overhead panel that low on the real helo?

Oliver

No, just tape holding it in place.  Still have work to do on the panel.  But, it's the last piece, then it's on to the rotor head and exterior.  I'm hoping things will move along a little faster now.    Thanks again for your kind words Oliver.  

• 2 months later...

Little update.  Finished the overhead panel and glued it in place.  The interior is about done short of more weathering.  I still have a few odds and ends to add (rest of weapons, FLIR screen and helmets), but they will be after the everything is closed up and painted.   

GLsE48i.jpg

l3uCi44.jpg

Started working on the fuselage.  First order of business re-engineering the fenstron . 

6IRy3ec.jpg

The kit was designed to insert the assembled fenstron when the fuselage halves are joined.  This would make cleaning that seam nearly impossible. 

My solution.  

u51hVB8.jpg

nhWdmOX.jpg

1zjbFXB.jpg

nD3m3ia.jpg

QaBYdL6.jpg

I plan to thread the support rod down through the top after the fuselage is joined.  This will allow unobstructed access to cleaning up that seam.   The hole will be covered with the vertical stabilizer when it is glued in place.  I also added the power shaft that was missing.  

Edited by Tgoetz

I am also pondering how to fix the incorrect window shape on the rear cabin door and the omitted lower window on the pilot door.   

IPntqcD.jpg

MdCYiB8.jpg

I've ordered some 0.03 clear material and think I'm going to try to replicate the entire door(s) with it.  Wish me luck!  

Thanks for stopping by.  

Todd

Ironically enough, your solution for the TGB support tube is pretty much exactly how the real one is attached. Glad to see you’re still trucking on this one Todd. Baby, hurricanes, and moving got in the way of mine, probably won’t be on the bench again until summer

• 5 months later...

Kinda of an embarrassing update for 5 months of work.  Finally found a picture of the pedestal in the rear cabin that holds the GPS and FLIR monitors and the FLIR joystick.  Give me a couple months and maybe I'll have it painted and installed.    

J3XZxZv.jpg

FK2hGkJ.jpg

Two updates in a week.  I'm on fire!  I think the way I plan to do the windows is going to work.  Just hope I can duplicate it on the other three doors.  Thanks for checking out my five year project.  

1Z4cv7l.jpg

gJd4qnZ.jpg