1/35 USCG MH-65C HITRON

It's an air sensor that was removed somewhere between the C and D upgrades.  All the A's and B's have them, some of the C's and none of the D's.  All the C's eventually have them removed.  I going to include it on mine, just because I think it looks cool.  

Edited by Tgoetz

I´m leaving it away, although I have a picture of a specific BuNo (6564) that has is. I also noticed that some aircraft had "long" lower front windows, while others have "short" ones.

HAJO

If you are referring to the window on the co-pilot side just in front of the cockpit.  Best I can tell on the C model they turned the front half of the window into a battery compartment door.  Not sure if they relocated the batteries, or just added the door for easier access.  On the A and B models they had to open the radome to access the batteries.  

Good observation, I just checked my (few) pictures and saw that shortened window only on the port-side.

Anyway, I´m pretty far now with the model and will hopefully be able to complete it the coming week.

HAJO

My MH-65D is finished, I´m just posting a link to the latest posting in my german WIP-thread, don´t want to hijack tgoetz build:

https://modellboard.net/index.php?topic=63075.msg972877#msg972877

I will do a separate entry in the galery here as soon as I have the opportunity to take some pictures outside.

HAJO

Maybe it would have worked without additional weight - I tested while I still ddin´t hat the rotor and the front window attached. Maybe they would have had enough weight, but I didn´t want to take any risk here.

HAJO

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2019 at 2:58 PM, Hajo L. said:

That antenna-looking thingie on the rotorhead - what is that and why do some have it and some don´t?

HAJO

On 10/27/2019 at 3:23 PM, Tgoetz said:

It's an air sensor that was removed somewhere between the C and D upgrades.  All the A's and B's have them, some of the C's and none of the D's.  All the C's eventually have them removed.  I going to include it on mine, just because I think it looks cool.  

That little guy was the OADS (Omnidirectional Air Data System) probe. Deleted as part of the D-model upgrade (so present on every A, B, and C) when a dual EGI (embedded GPS/INS) nav suite was installed.

On 1/11/2020 at 8:33 PM, Tgoetz said:

Thanks Spirit, I was hoping you would chime in with the correct information.  Did you finish you build? 

Sadly no, had a few big life events take precedence. 

Wife got pregnant, Then I was TDY to AIRSTA Traverse City for the summer of 2017 to help out with the MH-65 to MH-60 swap, then back to Puerto Rico just in time for Hurricane Maria, recovered form Maria just as it was time to transfer, and do a bunch of schools for a new airframe. I'm up in DC now working on our C-37A and C-37B. 

I knocked out an OOB F-86 build a couple months back to clear out the cobwebs, have an F-4C on the bench now, then it's back to the 65.

23 hours ago, SpiritZeroThree said:

Sadly no, had a few big life events take precedence. 

Wife got pregnant, Then I was TDY to AIRSTA Traverse City for the summer of 2017 to help out with the MH-65 to MH-60 swap, then back to Puerto Rico just in time for Hurricane Maria, recovered form Maria just as it was time to transfer, and do a bunch of schools for a new airframe. I'm up in DC now working on our C-37A and C-37B. 

I knocked out an OOB F-86 build a couple months back to clear out the cobwebs, have an F-4C on the bench now, then it's back to the 65.

I think we all get this all too well.  I still can't believe I started this build four years ago.  Although, with the interior done and the doors just needing paint, I'm hoping the rest will go a little quicker.  At this rate, I'll have to live until I'm 180 to finish just half of my stash.    

• 2 months later...

Like many I suspect the COVID pandemic has given me a little time on the workbench.  The interior is done with the exception of the the door mounted gun and .50 cal that can both be put in place at the end of the build.  So, I turned my attention to the main rotor, which needs a lot a work. 

I feel the main rotor is a focal point of helicopter models since it's the first thing you see when you look down on it.  Out of the box with work it might be okay, but I just couldn't live with it.  

S55ttGi.jpg

Here is the real thing.  

YFuLZxW.jpg

Here is what the out of the box gives you.

9TVFfmy.jpg

rzfPE7m.jpg

E7AS0dC.jpg

And here is what I have so far.  I still have a ways to go, but the Starflex hub turned out a lot better than I thought it would.  I think the upper and lower sleeves (think that's what they are called) need to be thinned a little.  I also need to confirm my plan to attached the rotor blades will work.  

Thanks for dropping by and hope everyone is staying safe and healthy.  

Todd

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I spent all the time redoing the rotor head, so couldn't ignore the poor quality of the kits rotor head cover, so vacuum formed a new one and scratch built the OADS probe, which is not included in the kit.  (note, the probe is not glued yet which is why it's not straight).  

Todd

toqx8VP.jpg