CD48094 - RF-84F

Got my RF-84 kit today, it's really really nice. I pitched my old heller kit in the sale bin. I'm really excited to build it. Once Kursad's decals for it are released, it's going to be priority one for building.

Corey

I will most likely build one or two in Royal Netherlands Air Force markings; one in NMF, the other in camo, but I confess that USAF/ANG options are very colorful and attractive!

It's too bad that the company that prints the kit's decal sheets doesn't do a great job. The sheet was designed by Dutch Decal so had great potential but sadly not printed by the firm that Luke usually uses. The printer that Tanmodel has contracted for the work has let it down, especially in the fineness of the print...

So your sheet will be VERY welcome for the USAF/ANG builders!

Cheers,

Erik.

Edited by One-Oh-Four

After a long weekend of trying to fit and arrange things on the sheet, it is now clear that I have enough material for two USAF/ANG sheets. I will probably release the first one this month, and another one afterwards depending on how the first one is received.

The first sheet does not have any Nebraska ANG markings, but the second sheet will have one camouflaged Nebraska jet. The earlier, colorful ANG schemes unfortunately do not seem to be well documented. I was only able to find a couple fuzzy photos of the beautiful Mississippi ANG aircraft, for example.

The first sheet does not have any Nebraska ANG markings, but the second sheet will have one camouflaged Nebraska jet. The earlier, colorful ANG schemes unfortunately do not seem to be well documented. I was only able to find a couple fuzzy photos of the beautiful Mississippi ANG aircraft, for example.

I'll take it! Thanks, Kursad!

:cheers:

Justin

• 2 months later...

The RF-84F sheet will be part of the May batch of releases - the 7 options (five of them with colorful unit markings on natural metal aircraft) on this sheet are:

-RF-84F 52-3769, 38 TRS

-RF-84F 52-7412, 15 TRS

-RF-84F 51-1945, 20 TRS

-RF-84F 52-3781, 66 TRW

-RF-84F 52-3766 "Cilda", 45 TRS

-RF-84F 52-7432 Alabama ANG (SEA camo)

-RF-84F 53-7551 Miss. ANG (SEA camo)

There is a second, smaller sheet (not shown) with national insignia. This sheet was designed to fit the new Tanmodel kit.

cd48094.jpg

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Very nice! Looking forward to seeing the side profiles soon! One quick question: are the FS- numbers included one the sheets?

OK, it looks like I misunderstood the question at first : There is a third, black-only page with these numbers and other common markings. However, unfortunately it does not look like I received it in the shipment I received it from Cartograf. I will look into what happened. Hopefully it was printed but not shipped. If I can receive it on time, I will offer the RF-84F sheet in June. If not, I will have to postpone it to the July batch...

Edited by KursadA
  • 2 weeks later...

Sorry, I am still buried under orders that I have to ship as soon as possible. I should be done with them in a couple of days, and I will start posting profiles for July releases soon afterwards.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...
On 8/30/2015 at 4:52 PM, balls47 said:

Ditto on the 45TRS Polka Dots. I have a good friend whose late father was an RF84F pilot for the 45TRS in the mid-50's. He sends me photos all of the time of his dad and his RF-84F. The airplane is has some really great markings. The pilot's name, Lt. Martinez has his name on the canopy sill. His wife's name is also on the front end of the fuselage. If this guy knew that Caracal was looking for photos of this specific RF-84F, he would flood me with photos. I don't know if any of the RF-84F's were painted in camo like the regular F-84F's, but this airplane is NMF. Let me know if there is any interest, and I will make the necessary contacts for photos and info specific to this airplane. Thanks, Tim

This poster has not been on ARC since 2017, so I don't think I'm going to get any joy, but did any of the photos he had get posted or published anywhere?

I would like to buy this Caracal sheet and make 'Cilda' but I need to know if this aircraft had the large drag chute housing or the smaller ventral keel? I think it probably had the larger housing, but 45th TRS polka-dot aircraft had both kinds and I'd like to be sure. I don't fancy converting the Tanmodel kit to remove the large chute housing as that's already proving enough of a ballache on the Kinetic F-84F I'm backdating...

Many thanks for any help

Jon

42 minutes ago, KursadA said:

While I received some photos to help with the design for this option, none of them show the rear area and I can't tell whether it had the drag chute housing or not - sorry.

No problem and thanks for the answer. Looks like such a great scheme I'll get the sheet anyway 🙂

Cheers

Jon