Paint brush preservation tip from a professional artist

Just wondering if the constant use of hair clips wouldn't flatten out the individual shapes of various brushes

Joel

He's only using them on flat brushes, so that's the whole point (so to speak). Those little hair clips have very low 'grab'.

He's only using them on flat brushes, so that's the whole point (so to speak). Those little hair clips have very low 'grab'.

I realize that, but those hair clips are still spreading out the bristles, so over a period of time the width of the brush would become wider, and some what thinner. I do the exact opposite on my brushes that I paint our house with. I use a professional series, and try to take good care of them. Once cleaned, they're wrapped in paper towel to dry to the original shape. Cleaning spreads the bristles out and over time the brush does loose its original shape.

Joel

Seems nobody`s mentioning drilling a few holes in the front part of the metal sleeve that holds the hairs. I believe this will soak the inside of the hairs where you can`t normally access with cleaning solutions. Should give your brush some extra longevity, just be careful not damaging the hairs when drilling.