Revell 1/48 scale PV-1 Ventura

Looks great Joel! I love what you've done with the instrument panel! Can't wait for the next update!

Cheers,

Colin

Colin,

Thanks so much. The IP was the easy part. Eduards multi layer approach makes it almost a no brainer. I found that a Matt coat really adds to the over all look as the colored PE is just too shiny. Then it's pretty easy to follow up with a drop of Pledge in each instrument. If I could take better close up pictures, you'd really see just how good it looks for so little effort.

Joel

Beautiful work Joel the radio's and Eduard IP really make a huge difference.

Cheers

Lee.

Lee,

Glad that you like my efforts. The Eduard IP really does make quite a difference, and it's so easy to make. If I can do it, anyone can.

Joel

Gorgeous office, Joel 😀

Typical modeller behaviour to detail spaces that no one will actually see :P/> I consider those areas as my private satisfactory zones....only I know of their existance and only I have seen them!

Janne,

Thanks for stopping by. Glad you like how the Pit came out. Still need to do a wash or two, but that's about it. Yeah, those private areas are special as they always turn out perfectly.

Joel

Hey Joel! I still dont have internet but, I had to compliment you on the beautiful work on your cockpit! Even if you say it was easy, it sure looks impressive! Looking forward to more ........as always!

-Mark

Mark,

Thanks so much for you most kind words. Coming from ARC friends, it means a lot to this old timer.

Joel

As I posted earlier, I've been working on detailing the Bomb bay. At 1st I was going to use the Eduard PE set, but decided to just detail it the best I could.

Here's the kit Bomb bay.

6-hn-ac-revell-lockheed-pv-1-ventura-1-48_1.jpg

At 1st it looks nicely detailed, but there are several issues with it. There is a center bulkhead that I glued into position, but a secondary bulkhead that goes up against the front row of bomb brackets is missing. So I made one out of .020 sheet. The brackets themselves are too small and are missing their side supports. I decided to just use the brackets as is, but added side supports from 1x3 strips. The center bulkhead is missing it supporting brackets, so I made them from .020 sheet as well. the front bomb bracket structure is very soft looking, so I just made a new one out of 1/3 strips and laid it over the existing molding to add some depth and detail.

PV-1%20001_045.jpg

PV-1%20001_044.jpg

Then I primed it with Ammo Mig Acrylic gray primer:

PV-1%20001_047.jpg

PV-1%20001_048.jpg

At this point I think that there is enough added detail to fools one eye, especially as it will be viewed seating on a mirror base in my display cabinet.

Joel

Thommo,

Thanks so much for liking my efforts. And I'm really glad you survived your weekend.

Joel

The damage done to my liver is yet to be ascertained. Some fool brought out glasses of port towards the end!

Seriously though, I can only do that once a year now, not most weekends as when we were back in college in the early 80's. It was quite sobering (pun intended) to see how we had all slowed down and aged, especially in the presence of the current crop of students who organised the event and were all going hard without a care in the world. They were halcyon days the 80's.

1st up was gluing the DMold's front bulkhead to the Bombay using thin CCA glue. I then applied the base coat of the Interior Green paint to the bomb bay floor. I've decided to leave the washes and weathering till after the fuselage has reached the priming stage.

PV-1%20001_051.jpg

Next was to glue up the front sections to it's matting fuselage half. The reason for the separate sections is that Revell used the same fuselage mold for both the American and the British version, which had completely different nose section. Once dry, I carefully cut the lower chin section off of each half following a panel line as shown in the DMold's instructions. Then glued the two fuselage halves together with Tamiya's Extra Thin Cement.

PV-1%20001_053.jpg

There is an issue with keeping the front section of he fuselage properly aligned as there is no lower section to create a positive angle for the top joint. So I glued the back half 1st, and let it completely dry for several hours. Then glued the front half.

PV-1%20001_057.jpg

PV-1%20001_061.jpg

The DMold chin section comes already cut off it's molding block. The part is extremely well molded/detailed, and looks like a piece of plastic from the kit, just a different color. No further work was needed besides a quick final sanding.

PV-1%20001_062.jpg

The chin section has the same 3 holes for the friend or foe lights that the kit part has. There is a clear 3 pc lens that fits, but I didn't want to go in that direction as coloring, then protecting the lenses would be a major issue. So I decided to glue up a base for the lenses out of .040. Sheet.

PV-1%20001_063.jpg

End of Part 1

Part 2

PV-1%20001_063.jpg

This lets me wait until all the painting and sealing has been done. Then I'll glue in a punched out piece of Aluminum foil as a base, then a few drops of Tamiya clear in each of the appropriate color, and finally a lens made from a drop of Pledge.

PV-1%20001_064.jpg

Next was to glue on the DMold nose clip. The part fits, but not perfectly.

PV-1%20001_065.jpg

Turned upside down you can see that there is both a gap on each side, and the clip is a little narrow. If I fitted the clip flush, then it won't line up with the lip of the Bombay as it does now.

PV-1%20001_066.jpg

PV-1%20001_068.jpg

So I sanded and shaped the best I could. I stopped once I noticed that the kit plastic tab by the bomb bay were starting to get paper thin. Fortunately, the side off sets were corrected. Next I applied a coat of Bondo. Let it cure for a few hours, then dry sanded followed by wet sanding. I'm satisfied that all the major issues have been corrected, and that only a final layer will be needed for those apparent pin holes before priming.

PV-1%20001_074.jpg

PV-1%20001_069.jpg

PV-1%20001_072.jpg

Honestly, for all the work needed to install the clip, and the small difference in dimensions from the kit part, which really can only be seen if you turn over the fuselage, it really isn't worth the effort, time, nor expense for me, as this is strictly a display model that at best will be rest on a mirror base.

One last point is that you need to install the tail wheel assembly prior to gluing up the fuselage halves including the wheel strut.

PV-1%20001_058.jpg

Of course I was sanding while watching the NY Giants loose once again, and in a moment of an emotional out burst, I hit the tail wheel strut against the side of my workbench, and broke it in half. So now I have to repair it with a inserted pin.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W