Revell 1/48 scale PV-1 Ventura

Absolutely stunning detailing :D/>/>

Janne,

Thanks for appreciating my work to date. Coming from you it means a lot.

Joel

Great work as always Joel - keep the updates coming!

John G

Thanks again, John. And yes, the updates will be coming as I do enough work to make each one interesting. Of course work has been making my life somewhat more complicated as of late, and I'm semi retired. They just don't seam to grasp that concept very well.

Joel

Brilliant!

Mark,

Thanks so much for stopping by. I don't know if I would call my work brilliant especially compared to the level of your work, but thank you for that compliment.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Very interesting!

Finally commenting 'cause your recognition lights plan is intriguing.

Looking forward to result, especially the Future lenses.

Rich,

Thanks for commenting on my blog, it's much appreciated. The light issue was a concern for me like it's been on a lot of my WW11 builds. I've never really been satisfied with my various methods to created them starting with the kit clear glass only. I'm hoping that this method works. In theory it seams to offer the best bang for the buck. One thing for certain, time will tell.

Joel

good time to add the tail gear doors.

Revell is mistaken and they were closed when on the ground not open as depicted in the instructions.

Shawn,

Thanks for taking the time to not only look but post. I do appreciate it.

The rear wheel gear doors in the kit instructions, which aren't too clear, do seam to show them as being installed in the closed position. Their line drawings for painting and decaling also have them in the closed position. I have a few dozen pictures including a dozen or so of the Canadian PV-1s on the ground parked, and every one has the gear doors closed, so I really never considered leaving them in the open position.

Joel

good deal!

I may have been thinking of the box images which showed them open.

Either way you're on the right track!

I just finished mine 2 weeks ago, nice kit I must say.

You going to do the Octopus Scheme or something different?

If you are, bin the decals and use a mask!

Edited by Shawn M

good deal!

I may have been thinking of the box images which showed them open.

Either way you're on the right track!

I just finished mine 2 weeks ago, nice kit I must say.

You going to do the Octopus Scheme or something different?

If you are, bin the decals and use a mask!

Shawn,

Actually, I'm not even doing an American Naval version. The Canadians received several PV-1s during 1944 and 1945. Some were even left in the tri-color scheme. I received from Aviaeology their 3rd decal sheet for the PV-1 Venturas. The specific aircraft I'm planning on doing is a GR.V 2185 M 149 Sqn. March 1944, or 8 Sqn. late June 1944. as the aircraft was transferred mid June to that Sqn. The Paint scheme will be in what the Canadians Western Air Command refer to as the Saddleback ASW scheme for mid 1944.

Joel

Great work as usual Joel. Quick question, what type of filler/putty did you use? I'm trying to find a better solution because all I use now is CA

Falcon30driver,

Thanks for stopping by, it's much appreciated.

I also use Med and thick Gel CCA for filling in small seams and joints, and thin CCA for sealing putty work. I do use a lot of putty for blending and filling in joints and seams where there is a bottom base. If there is an opening I start with either 2 part 5 min. epoxy or Milliput but I don't try to fill it to the top over worse over it. When dry, I then will use putty.

Since the 70s I've used Squadron Green stuff both straight from the tube, and then for the last few years I've been cutting it with either cheap Lacquer Thinner or Tamiya Extra Thin so that it's easier to work and move where you want it. The problem with Green stuff is that it really shrinks, and once dry is extremely brittle. Therefore it's nearly impossible to drill into, and darn hard to scribe without chipping it. That led me to a product that is used for body damage to cars where filling and blending is super important. Bondo. It's that redish putty you see. There are several different types for different applications. I use their Glazing and Spot Putty, which comes in a tube, is very cheap, and you can get it at any auto parts store or big box car dept. Since it's for cars, the stuff dries rock hard, hardly shrinks, spreads extremely well, sands to a very smooth surface, and can be drilled and scribes without any real issues.

It's major drawback is it's lacquer base smell. But since I've used Squadron's Green Stuff, I'm quite use to that smell.

When I'm happy with the final sanding, I do seal it with thin CCA. I find that it does a much better job of sealing then hand brushing on a coat of gray model primer.

Joel

Joel that is really great work i like what you have done to the bomb bay at first i thought the green painted bomb bay was a 3D CAD image haha

Looking forward to more !!!!!!!

Cheers

Lee.

Lee,

Thanks for appreciating my most modest of efforts. A 3D CAD drawing, I should only be that talented.:rofl:/>

Joel

Part 2

Next was to glue on the DMold nose clip. The part fits, but not perfectly.

Honestly, for all the work needed to install the clip, and the small difference in dimensions from the kit part, which really can only be seen if you turn over the fuselage, it really isn't worth the effort, time, nor expense for me, as this is strictly a display model that at best will be rest on a mirror base.

Hey Joel! First off I must say that the bomb bay looks great! All of that detail which sits on the bottom of the plane is honestly (much like the radio operators station) is something I would do myself. I have a hard time getting over the, "I know it's there" feeling myself and if I would skip it, well.... I wouldn't be able to do that.

So... not being familiar with the benefit of the resin nose clip vs. the kit part, perhaps, while not "worth the effort" as you mention, maybe the skill needed to add the part is where you can feel a sense of accomplishment. After all, the many completed projects you have done while I have been a part of the ARC community are great and seem to really "fall together" for you. However you choose to view it, it's great work and certainly a nice outcome you have.

Of course I was sanding while watching the NY Giants loose once again, and in a moment of an emotional out burst, I hit the tail wheel strut against the side of my workbench, and broke it in half. So now I have to repair it with a inserted pin.

Joel

This reminds me so much of why it is taking me longer to attatch the wings to my project because I just know this kind of thing will happen to me! Haha. As a matter of fact...... just having the "torpedo with elevators" currently, I have banged it against the bench..... my work light,... etc! Haha.

Great work as always Joel and I am looking for the next installment!

-Mark

Of course I was sanding while watching the NY Giants loose once again, and in a moment of an emotional out burst, I hit the tail wheel strut against the side of my workbench, and broke it in half. So now I have to repair it with a inserted pin.

Joel

That's what you get for rooting for the wrong team. Come over the dark side. Modeling is sooo much easy when you are a Pat's fan!

Kidding aside, nice work.

Hey Joel! First off I must say that the bomb bay looks great! All of that detail which sits on the bottom of the plane is honestly (much like the radio operators station) is something I would do myself. I have a hard time getting over the, "I know it's there" feeling myself and if I would skip it, well.... I wouldn't be able to do that.

So... not being familiar with the benefit of the resin nose clip vs. the kit part, perhaps, while not "worth the effort" as you mention, maybe the skill needed to add the part is where you can feel a sense of accomplishment. After all, the many completed projects you have done while I have been a part of the ARC community are great and seem to really "fall together" for you. However you choose to view it, it's great work and certainly a nice outcome you have.

This reminds me so much of why it is taking me longer to attatch the wings to my project because I just know this kind of thing will happen to me! Haha. As a matter of fact...... just having the "torpedo with elevators" currently, I have banged it against the bench..... my work light,... etc! Haha.

Great work as always Joel and I am looking for the next installment!

-Mark

Mark,

Thank you so much for your most positive thoughts, as they do mean quite a lot to me.

Your level of detailing is so far more advanced then what I can do, but your work does inspire me to keep on trying. Although, I must confess that I do like to do a mostly OOB build about half the time to keep my sanity. My only real issue with the clip is that it's so close to the dimensions of the kit part, it's just really tough to justify the time and effort. Fortunately, the part was only $10 and almost another $10 to have shipped from Russia.

Will have a major update this week, as the fuselage is almost ready for priming, and I've started the wings with a little extra detailing just to make it interesting.

Joel

That's what you get for rooting for the wrong team. Come over the dark side. Modeling is sooo much easy when you are a Pat's fan!

Kidding aside, nice work.

11bee,

I nearly fell off my chair reading your post. Is there such a thing as a Pats fan that use to be a Giants fan? Who knows. While I'm a life long NY Giants fan, I grew up as a 3rd generation Yankee fan. I follow baseball all throughout the year. And I'm willing to bet that you're a Boston Red sox fan, whose coming to the stadium for 4 games starting Monday night. That should be a min of 3 more games in the loss column for you guys.

And thanks for the appreciating my efforts on the PV-1.

Joel

11bee,

I nearly fell off my chair reading your post. Is there such a thing as a Pats fan that use to be a Giants fan? Who knows. While I'm a life long NY Giants fan, I grew up as a 3rd generation Yankee fan. I follow baseball all throughout the year. And I'm willing to bet that you're a Boston Red sox fan, whose coming to the stadium for 4 games starting Monday night. That should be a min of 3 more games in the loss column for you guys.

And thanks for the appreciating my efforts on the PV-1.

Joel

Long time Sox fan, since back in the old days (remember a guy name Bucky Dent?). The Sox always seemed to come in second to NYY, those world series wins were just a freakish anomaly. Now things are back in their natural order. I'll still be rooting for my Sox but if they take 2 of 4, it will be a major victory.

Keep up the good work!

Go Sox!

Edited by 11bee

Work has continued at even a slower pace then my normal snail's pace, and work just keeps on forgetting that I'm semi retired, and I've gone into over time once again.

Final sanding and polishing for the nose chin was followed up with the installation of the Cockpit greenhouse glass.

PV-1%20001_084.jpg

PV-1%20001_085.jpg

The Cockpit Greenhouse fit was pretty good, but there was still a considerable gap on the pilot's side, that I filled with Vallejo acrylic white putty over a two day period.

PV-1%20001_088.jpg

Next was the installation of the lower rear gun position and glass. The fit was excellent, and didn't require any putty work. You also can see in the picture below that the rear wheel strut has been repaired. I glued up the wheel well doors in the closed position as that's how every picture I have shows it.

PV-1%20001_086.jpg

Next was the installation of the clear glass nose for the bombardier compartment. In the VR.G version, the nose clip was changed to eliminate that station and remove the windows on each side of the nose. The clear glass radar nose was taped inside and out, then clear doped. So my only concern was to get the nose glass to fit as perfectly as possible.

PV-1%20001_092.jpg

In this picture you can see that the angle of the glass flattens out rather then continues to the front of the nose.

PV-1%20001_091.jpg

Even though the bombardier compartment has been removed, the look down glass is still installed. Later versions of the PV-1 will have a automatic 4 MG pack added in it's place.

PV-1%20001_087.jpg

I had to install what I think is a navigator bubble on the top of the aircraft spine. I also temp attached the top turret clip which fits perfectly, so I don't have to deal with the turret for basic priming.

PV-1%20001_090.jpg

All the glass was masked using Eduard's excellent mask set. I was more then pleased with how they worked.

I was somewhat surprised and puzzled that in this day and age, Revell decided to put their copyright on the outside of the Elevators.

PV-1%20001_081.jpg

Anyway, I sanded it off, then polished out the surface. I also decided to deepen the elevators recesses to make them look as though they're separate pieces.

PV-1%20001_082.jpg

Next up I'll prime the seams and take care of any issues. Then I'll continue work on the wings.

Joel

I am amazed that the copyright notice is on the outside of the airframe! That's bizarre! At least it's easy to fix. Likewise your extra engraving on the elevators, nice work.

You've inspired me to make a final push and aim to complete my own Ventura this weekend!

<div>

Zac,

It' sure is weird, especially from a main stream major manufacturer.

Glad to see that my build has gotten your Mojo flowing to finish your build. Looking forward to seeing your pictures. </div><div>

Joel

</div>

Edited by Joel_W

If there was ever an update that kept us in suspense, this has got to be it!

Great work so far, and I can't wait to see more of your superb build.

Cheers,

Mark.

Glad you like the work I've accomplished to date. Never really thought of this update as suspenseful, but now that you mention it, you'll have to wait for the next few to see how everything turns out. Maybe I should work for one of the tv networks. :doh:/>

Joel