Hi Everyone,

I'm in with an FAC. This is the old Model USA Bird Dog. Got 3 of them a long time back, but never had the motivation to get going. This seems a perfect incentive. Hopefully it's enough time. I can see lots of scratch building to update it.

[

Regards

Triet

What markings are you planning on doing these up in? I have one that I'd like to do up as a Raven FAC from Laos. Can't wait to follow along and get some pointers from the master. I love all your VNAF Skyraiders.

Edited by Drifterdon

I'll be starting this GB off with Tamiya's offering of the A-1J Skyraider. I'm adding a True Details resin ejection seat, a resin 150 gallon Aero 1C tank for the right stub pylon using the new AMS Resin offering as well as AMS M-47 white phosphorous bombs that Harold did up. This will be done up as a SAR Sandy in the markings of then Capt Richard Drury's Midnight Cowboy. I'm using the decals are from Cutting Edge 48096.

Don

what%20im%20building_zpsnzjotwqq.jpg

Edited by Drifterdon

What markings are you planning on doing these up in? I have one that I'd like to do up as a Raven FAC from Laos. Can't wait to follow along and get some pointers from the master. I love all your VNAF Skyraiders.

Well Don, I'm thinking one of these.

L-19g2_zpsnioglkif.jpg

O-1%20VNAF%20TSN%201968_zpskghdvuiu.jpg

The light gray has non-uniformed insignia. That'll involve homemade inkjet decals, which is a hit and miss. Or, travel the very rough road, mask and paint.

The OD version is a little easier because of the standard insignia style like USAF. The kit decals looked exactly like the pic. Either case will involve some homemade decals.

I got some time to decide. It's always the decal availability that gives me the biggest problem.

Good luck on the Skyraider build. It is the best 48th kit out there. I have lots of refs. Let me know if you need them.

Cheers

Triet

Hello all!

Glad this started! I will be in with an old Hasegawa 1/72 F-8E Crusader, in the colors of VMF(AW)-312 Checkerboards.

Since I have a mediocre record when it comes to completing groupbuilds on time I opted for this simple kit, which will be done mostly out-of-box. If time permits there is also a Trumpeter 1/72 F-105G lingering around, and if I surprise myself, a Hase 1/72 F-4D Phantom II in the MiG-eater boxing.

But first I wanna be sure that at least the Crusader makes it to DEROS!

Happy modelling,

Andy

Who was the pilot on that first kill?

Here we have a small park they opened up at the executive airport (used to be a P-61 base long ago.) They called the graveyard for a F-4D to honor the local mig killer pilot. When it showed they were surprised to find out that he had flown that very aircraft in the war.

Who was the pilot on that first kill?

Here we have a small park they opened up at the executive airport (used to be a P-61 base long ago.) They called the graveyard for a F-4D to honor the local mig killer pilot. When it showed they were surprised to find out that he had flown that very aircraft in the war.

According to the Aero Master sheet........F4C-22-MC 64-0693 On July 10, 1965 FJ 693 became the first USAF Phantom Mig killer when flown by Captains KE Holcombe and AE Clark of the 45th TFS out of Ubon Thailand. Downed a Mig 21 with an Aim9B.

Another source I just looked up has all the same info except the plane shot down as a Mig 17.

Edited by phantom

Alright, I pulled this lot from the stash. Let's see how many I can finish:

P9054474_zps6pvcqief.jpg

The A-6A will be done with the Furball sheet, not sure which unit yet, maybe the VA-85 one from the Kitty Hawk

The F-8E will be done with the IPMS USA Nats sheet from 2011, doing Dick Bellinger's jet from VF-162 on the Oriskany

The UH-34, not sure yet. Maybe the kit decals, maybe a USN UH-34D. Will have to look into the details.

The F-4J will be done as a VF-96 jet, from the famous 1971-'72 cruise on the Constellation, and not Showtime 100.

The Invader will be done as a French Air Force one, based at Cat Bi in 1953

The F-4B will be done either a VF-41 jet, using Double Ugly decals, or as a VF-21 jet, using that IPMS USA sheet again

And finally, the A-7E, a VA-146 jet, again from the 1971-'72 cruise on the Connie

Looks like I'm going to need plenty of white and light gull grey paint. :woot.gif:

That kit dates back to the late 60s. Then there was also a evac version and they also had two patrol boats out. The swift boat is the only one to show up again. The price of the kit back then was probably 1.50 or around there. I chcked but didn't have a hog in my collection so you may have to build a new part. I'm in the same boat, my armored car came with only one foot pedal so I have to make one. The Commandos back then were 5 speed and the kit was designed around the modern V-150 (it's impressed on the floor plates) which are automatics.

I really want to play in this sand box. I have LOTS and LOTS of Hueys and Cobras I hope to add to the GB. Is it OK if I have a few bits glued together on a 1/72 Hobby Boss kit? If not, i can start another. Just the cabin walls glued so far.

ray

Edited by rotorwash
I'm in with an FAC. This is the old Model USA Bird Dog. Got 3 of them a long time back, but never had the motivation to get going. This seems a perfect incentive.

Perfect timing, maybe this will also help - just announced a new O-1 Bird Dog decal sheet in 1/48 and 1/72:

http://www.arcforums.com/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=287092

48003a.jpg

Edited by Steve Belanger