Hi everyone, I'd to submit a 1/32 Minicraft/Hasegawa F-5E of the VNAF's 536FS - 63TW based at Bien-Hoa AFB - South Vietnam.

kit-gigante-caca-northrop-f-5-tiger-ii-fab-132-hasegawa-21504-MLB20212690123_122014-F_zpsydfyecuf.jpg

SEA_painting_markings_guide.jpg

and also maybe a 1/32 A-1H Skyraider of the 83rd "Than-Phong" SOG - VNAF - TSN

Flying Tiger

Update on my build, it's going to be the Trumpeter 1/35 Chinook CH-47A of the 237th Helicopter Sq. 63rd Tacical Wing - VNAF based at Bien-Hoa AFB - 1975

IMG_2311_zpsquqbou8m.jpg

IMG_2312_zpsixlqcei1.jpg

Silly me! I started a build post without revealing my intentions here.

Here goes.....

Here's my first entry into this group build. It's a 1/48 scale F-104C Starfighter 57-928 of the 435th TFS, 8th TFW as it served in late 66 early 67 at Udorn RTAFB Thailand. I won't be loading it up with ordnance as I'll be building it as shown in the following photo:

gESyaG.jpg

Here is a listing of items I'll be using during the build.

Hasegawa 1/48 F-104C, kit Pt19

Victory Productions Decals VPD48005

Wolfpack J-79 exhaust WP48194

Fine Molds brass Pitot tube AC-51

Hobby Decal metal refueling probe 48010M1

Eduard Mask EX031

Cutting Edge F-104C Super Detailed Cockpit CEC48252

Cutting Edge F-104A/C Upgrade Set CEC 48265

DACO wings, stabilator, RHAW bits, canopy demist tubes, tip tank fins, etc...

EibBso.jpg

I also have plans to do a 1/48 USN A-1H Skyraider as well as a 1/48 USN F-4B Phantom II for this group build. All depends on timing of my current build.

Cheers,

John

• 2 weeks later...

Seeing as though I have 2 started and none done it is time to start a 3rd. 3s the charm. So

I am going to pull out all the stops and do my 1/144 Academy F-4E. It has a neat sharks mouth decal

but I am unsure if it served in Vietnam. Tail code FC 305, 68-0305 maybe? Anyone know if it was a

Vietnam era unit, thought I read somewhere it was from Alaska. Thanks---John

F4E%201_zpszcy0jt1a.jpg

F4E%202_zpsyonlmt7m.jpg

Hi all,

Beside my 1/35 Trumpeter CH-47A Chinook build, I also working on this VNAF 1/72 EC-47 of the 716th Reconnaissance Squadron based at Tan-Son-Nhut in the mid 70s (with modified nose) so I add it in this group build as well.

ec47_716_1_zpsyrjb6sct.jpg

The kit is a 1/72 Dakota Mk.3 Italeri kit and will be modified to an EC-47....

p1_boxart_zpsojwe1rek.jpg

p2_kits_sprues_zpsqstcp9sv.jpg

While waiting for paint to fully cure I figured I would start another Spad. This one is from that same decal sheet South East Asia Skyraiders 72004 by Eagle Strike. 1st SOS, 56 SOW, Nakhon Phanom, October 1969. It is the center one named Stump Jumper and I'm going to try and fit the stripes onto a Fujimi kit even though its sized for the Hasegawa.

1%20sj_zpshdunhe5e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I am newcomer and not sure which way to go: Navybase or Airbase! doh.gif

1- Start RVN Navy Coastal Junk Force 1/48 Monogram1/48 Vietnam Command Junk as I got this "As is" kit from ebay long time ago.

2- Continue my incomplete project: 1/72 Italeri UH1H"Gunship" for VNAF.

GB%200010_zpsxfbi6wti.jpg

GB%200020_zpsenn88tkj.jpg

Zoom in

GB%200030_zpsx5tntjck.jpg

cool.gif

Hello,

I am newcomer and not sure which way to go: Navybase or Airbase! doh.gif

1- Start RVN Navy Coastal Junk Force 1/48 Monogram1/48 Vietnam Command Junk as I got this "As is" kit from ebay long time ago.

2- Continue my incomplete project: 1/72 Italeri UH1H"Gunship" for VNAF.

cool.gif

Wow! Very interesting subjects, :rolleyes: go for both Anh n2h! :thumbsup:

cheer!

let_models :)

Edited by let_models

Wow. I haven't seen that kit since it came out in about 1969. It was one of three boats they released at the same time and ran for 3.00. The Swift boat shows up from time to time and is currently available, but the third has not reappeared. Good building.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I was wondering if this kit qualifies for this GB? It may have conducted some missions during the Vietnam war, but I am really not an expert on which models of SR-71 performed recce missions there. Mods?

P1240958_zps6yphh3wm.jpg

ALF

SR-71's certainly flew sorties over Vietnam. They were deployed to Kadena and flew from there. Some info can be found here, for instance. Osprey has a nice book about their operations in the Far East.

Edited by Pete

SR-71's certainly flew sorties over Vietnam. They were deployed to Kadena and flew from there. Some info can be found here, for instance. Osprey has a nice book about their operations in the Far East.

Cool!

Thanks for the info link, Pete. The tail number on this one is 17978. Your linked site says this, so I'm in :

On 25 May 1968 #978 was piloted by Don Walbrecht and RSO Phil Loignon launching out of Kadena for their first Combat Flight over Vietnam. The flight was not without incident but returned to Kadena uneventful. They subsequently flew a total of eight operational sorties from Kadena.

Looking forward to this one.

ALF