This is 1/72 ESCI Huey UH-1D kit, I built it for an AB-205 model using by Air America, a 'secret airline' in the war, The crew chief of this Huey was shooting down an AN-2 Colt in one incident inside Laos with his AK-47, note: you can see I had the AK-47 in crew chief seat position. Cheer

let_models :)

04_zpsd2b83967.jpg

That is a great huey. I have plans to do the same helo in 1/48 scale. The An-2 Colt that was shot down was attacking the radar site at LS 85 on top of Phou Pha Thi in northeastern Laos. Great Job! :thumbsup:/>

Edited by Drifterdon

The instructions that come with the 1/48 Hobby Craft "Viet Nam" F8F-1B Bearcat includes markings for a Lt. Nguyen Than Tong's F8F-1B assigned to 1st Fighter Sq, at Bien Hoa in 1958. I've tried to do a google search to see what is unique about this particular pilot but can find nothing. Anyone know the story? I was going to do the gate guardian at Bien Hoa "G - 1510" but if there is a good story to this pilot/plane, I might change my mind.

Don

Edited by Drifterdon

One day I was out taking flight line shots and watched two Hueys painted like this start to taxi to the E.O.R.

They got in the way of a C-141 freedom bird that was inbound. The 141 did hard left, bringing its wing tip pointed to the ground. The hueys settled on the grass between the runways. As the 141 approached a second time the hueys did it again, forcing the 141 to pull the same maneuver and the hueys went to ground. for a few seconds. They lifted off and were gone. What a ride the new guys must have had.

About a half hour later a local huey took off, started to fly over a small part of our side of the base and settled on the edge of a embankment near the perimeter. Must have gotten a couple hundred yards.

heck of a huey day

• 2 weeks later...

airbrush question----I airbrushed once, way back in mid 90s with a can of air

and a Testors cheapy 15 buck beginners airbrush. I went my way courtesy of "unknown

marital circumstances" and have been rattle can spraying, am now retired and am looking into air brushing again.I now have a Badger 200 detail, Central Pneumatics compressor with 6 foot hose and dryer, Mr Color paints and thinner. My question is do I need a special place to do this, paint booth? I did it when I owned a house in a room I finished in the cellar. I don't remember it stinking up or fogging the room up. The subject did come out good, was a Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18C with 2 tone gray scheme, Mauraders. Any advice is appreciated, I also have the Aztec cleaning station. Thanks---John

airbrush%20and%20compressor%201_zpsx3vjlidw.jpg

Edited by john53

Hi all, this is my recent built for a friend, a 1/48 Monogram A-1H Skyraider of the 514 FS - 23rd TW based at Bien Hoa AFB on the early 60s

]

Hey! Nice model!...this's Co Huong/PhiHo516 in Aussie right?...how are you doing, nice to see you and FD in here! cheer,

Edited by let_models

airbrush question----I airbrushed once, way back in mid 90s with a can of air

and a Testors cheapy 15 buck beginners airbrush. I went my way courtesy of "unknown

marital circumstances" and have been rattle can spraying, am now retired and am looking into air brushing again.I now have a Badger 200 detail, Central Pneumatics compressor with 6 foot hose and dryer, Mr Color paints and thinner. My question is do I need a special place to do this, paint booth? I did it when I owned a house in a room I finished in the cellar. I don't remember it stinking up or fogging the room up. The subject did come out good, was a Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18C with 2 tone gray scheme, Mauraders. Any advice is appreciated, I also have the Aztec cleaning station. Thanks---John

Hi, I got the same compressor, it's working fine with me!

Use to be when I'm spraying I when to the garage and with a paint booth, most of the time I used arcrylic paint...

I think she was the current Miss World, Brucine Smith. But I can't confirm that because I was working my post about 2 miles from the stage. They may have this show from 1971 on youtube somewhere.

I did some more checking and that was Jan Daley.

Sorry, can't help with the T-28. The only shots I took were of the one that wandered in lost with an emergency situation.

scan0031-9.jpg

Edited by ikar

I´m planning to do a T-28D Trojan in the "dark SEA"-scheme and would like to ask if anyone can help me out with a plan for that camo-scheme.

Should look something like this:

http://img.wp.scn.ru/camms/ar/875/pics/3_51.jpg

Thanks!

HAJO

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

HAJO,

Go to Modelingmadness web site there is an article build by Tom Cleaver about T-28D, it's pretty neat.

Hope it help, cheer!

http://www.modelingmadness.com/review/viet/tc/tmc28d.htm

Edited by let_models
  • 2 weeks later...

99.9 % of my built are Vietnam war subjects especially VNAF . I like to to join the VNW GB still pondering what to build .

Here is one which I just completed, the 'ancient' 1/50 Fujimi F-5B rescribed and updated with resin Wolfpack cockpits, central fuel tank from Kinetic F-5B . Weapons courtesy of Monogram 1/48 Skyraider , pilots modified from Monogram 1/48 A-37 kit .

FujimiVNAFF5B024_zpsvo4kmtd8.jpg

FujimiVNAFF5B025_zpsbppacxmq.jpg

FujimiVNAFF5B028_zpssrntqnjo.jpg

Edited by C7A

99.9 % of my built are Vietnam war subjects especially VNAF . I like to to join the VNW GB still pondering what to build .

Here is one which I just completed, the 'ancient' 1/50 Fujimi F-5B rescribed and updated with resin Wolfpack cockpits, central fuel tank from Kinetic F-5B . Weapons courtesy of Monogram 1/48 Skyraider , pilots modified from Monogram 1/48 A-37 kit .

Wow, nice and clean build! That is good for office desk display! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone have suggestions for paint colours to use for the SEA 3-tone camo on the F-4Cs in theatre? I have access to Tamiya acrylics and Modelmaster acrylics. I know what the FS numbers are, but I have a hard time getting the right shades with Tamiya and Modelmaster Acryl. Oftentimes, the two greens (medium and dark) end up being too similar. What combinations can work (either some Tamiya and some MM, or all Tamiya or all MM)?

ALF

FujimiVNAFF5B024_zpsvo4kmtd8.jpg

FujimiVNAFF5B025_zpsbppacxmq.jpg

FujimiVNAFF5B028_zpssrntqnjo.jpg

I had no idea the f-5b served in the war. Which unit are the markings from?

Oh, and beautiful build! I really like how you have it mounted. Looks sharp.

Does anyone have suggestions for paint colours to use for the SEA 3-tone camo on the F-4Cs in theatre? I have access to Tamiya acrylics and Modelmaster acrylics. I know what the FS numbers are, but I have a hard time getting the right shades with Tamiya and Modelmaster Acryl. Oftentimes, the two greens (medium and dark) end up being too similar. What combinations can work (either some Tamiya and some MM, or all Tamiya or all MM)?

ALF

For what it's worth, here are the mixes of Tamiya I use.

Camo gray - 1:2 ratio of light gray and white, with just a drop of yellow

Tan - 1:2-3 ratio (eyeball it) of dark earth to white, with 3-5 drops of flat yellow.

Dark green 2:1 dark green (or black green) to khaki drab

Med green (this one is tough to dial in) eyeball the levels closely. I used about 1:1 NATO and olive green, with a few drops of yellow for warmth. Nest time I may try a mix of deep green and yellow.

As always, your milage may vary.

For what it's worth, here are the mixes of Tamiya I use.

Camo gray - 1:2 ratio of light gray and white, with just a drop of yellow

Tan - 1:2-3 ratio (eyeball it) of dark earth to white, with 3-5 drops of flat yellow.

Dark green 2:1 dark green (or black green) to khaki drab

Med green (this one is tough to dial in) eyeball the levels closely. I used about 1:1 NATO and olive green, with a few drops of yellow for warmth. Nest time I may try a mix of deep green and yellow.

As always, your milage may vary.

Thanks, RKic

I will (first) try to see if some MM Acryl works on a piece of scrap plastic; maybe I can get away with the MM for the brown and one green, and use a Tamiya green for the other one. I HATE mixing paint! Especially because, as you so wisely say, your mileage may vary. For me, it ends up being a crap shoot.

Follow-on question: what are the two little doors under the belly of the F-4, near the centreline between the main wheel wells? They show in the instructions to glue them partially open. This leaves big holes in the belly of the model, which are quite invisible when sitting on its wheels. Do these doors normally sit open on the ground?

Does it vary from F-4 model to another (i.e. is an F-4C different from an F-4E in this matter?)

ALF

Thanks, RKic

I will (first) try to see if some MM Acryl works on a piece of scrap plastic; maybe I can get away with the MM for the brown and one green, and use a Tamiya green for the other one. I HATE mixing paint! Especially because, as you so wisely say, your mileage may vary. For me, it ends up being a crap shoot.

Follow-on question: what are the two little doors under the belly of the F-4, near the centreline between the main wheel wells? They show in the instructions to glue them partially open. This leaves big holes in the belly of the model, which are quite invisible when sitting on its wheels. Do these doors normally sit open on the ground?

Does it vary from F-4 model to another (i.e. is an F-4C different from an F-4E in this matter?)

ALF

The doors you are referring to are auxiliary air doors. They open when more air is required in the engine compartments like during run up of engines on the ground. I believe certain conditions in flight will open them also. They were always open on the ground. I worked on C's, D's & E's......they all had them.

Dean

I had no idea the f-5b served in the war. Which unit are the markings from?

Oh, and beautiful build! I really like how you have it mounted. Looks sharp.

Thanks RKic . Oh yes F-5B did serve the Vietnam war . VNAF used them to train fresh pilots to be combat ready . All VNAF F-5's ( and other VNAF air-crafts ) with black and yellow checker bands were from VNAF 23rd Tactical Wing Bien Hoa AB.

3214181264_ee992a0cf2.jpg

VNAF_F55.jpg

VNAF_F5c.jpg

The doors you are referring to are auxiliary air doors. They open when more air is required in the engine compartments like during run up of engines on the ground. I believe certain conditions in flight will open them also. They were always open on the ground. I worked on C's, D's & E's......they all had them.

Dean

Thanks for the great answer, Dean

I saw a reference to aux air doors on one of the ARC walkarounds, but it wasn't clear to me. You've confirmed it. I posed them partially open.

Here, I must come clean. My father flew CF-104s in Europe. He took me to see a USAFE F-4 (from Bitburg) in 1974, when it visited Baden-Soellingen. I was hugely impressed by the massive jet. When I told him how cool it looked, he just snorted and said it was a "double ugly"; too many engines, too many crewmembers. Now that dear old Dad is no longer with us, I can come out of the closet and say that I LOVE F-4s. It is fun to build these big beasts. I flew against some in the 80s (I was in CF-18s), and it was super easy to pick them up visually by the smoke trails, but they still maintained their relevance at the time.

ALF