Czech Model 1/48 Grumman Goose

So, here she is in Blue and Yellow

goose-blueyellow0_zpszw47dbpv.jpg

goose-blueyellow1_zps5rkerhkx.jpg

goose-blueyellow2_zpsout7x430.jpg

Of course, the problem is that the metal parts of the wing should be NMF. Oh yeah, I got Dana Bell's Air Force Colors 1926-1942 from the LHS and found out that, compared to FS35019, the real Light Blue is "stronger, a little greener, a little lighter, and glossy."

The lower hull is flat black. The rudder aft of the hinge is white in preparation of the red, white, and blue rudder decals.

Sean,

Thanks for stopping by.

I'm painting up a test article to see how Alclad Aluminum looks over Chrome Yellow. Assuming that works out, I'll need to polish that paint for Alclad.

I should have paid so much more attention to this photo.

goose-wing2_zpsfxylhyhu.jpg

vs. the Czech Model drawing

goose-start2_zpsqcqtgvhb.jpg

OK. I bit the bullet and decide to refinish the whole model. Beyond the NMF leading edge, the poor match for FS35109 as Light Blue kept bugging me. Also, I sustained some damage to the flat black fuselage bottom when I needed to do substantial trimming and filing to the fuselage bottom to get the landing gear doors to actually fit. About the only part that won't be refinished is the yellow empennage.

So, I'm now sanding the entire model down; I'll get to 12000 on the "metal" portions of the wing. I also need to figure out how to get the Light Blue. I found a page that claimed some mix of that Russian interior blue-green and blue. Considering Dana Bell's comments in Air Force Colors Volume 1 1926-1942 about FS35109, "poor match, #23 is stronger, a little greener, a little lighter, glossy," that sounds plausible. Now, I just need to figure out what that mix actually is...

Bottom line, the model looks pretty bad now. But, I feel much happier now, as I was getting really bummed about the NMF and the poor blue match...

Edited by dnl42

Still working on that test article to see how Alclad Aluminum looks over Chrome Yellow.

In the meantime, I've completed the engine and cowls.

goose-engine_cowl_zps70hrjzrr.jpg

As should not be a surprise, the props needed some file and sanding stick love get them into shape. The CM instructions would have you mount spinners on the props. My Wheeler Field aircraft has hubs with counterweights. The prop shafts are a little odd; the aft end of the prop shafts actually look pretty close to the hub (sans the counterweight). I took advantage of this, drilled the props out for the shaft, mounted the shaft "backwards", and cut discs from Evergreen rod as the counterweights.

goose-prop0_zpsnybsxrvo.jpg

They painted up pretty nicely, too.

goose-prop1_zpskrvpk4dk.jpg

I made an RDF antenna from a "jump ring" my beloved got from Michaels (they're in the jewelry section). This one is 0.5" diameter (24" in scale), which looks OK compared to various photos. It's not quite visible, but I filed the outer surface flat to match pictures. I cut a V-notch in the ring with a slitting file and a matching chisel tip on the Evergreen rod. With these two fitting nicely, I used J-B Weld to glue them up; I'm waiting for the bond to cure. [Edit:] I used the shallow side of a crossover file to flatten the inside, too. Now it has the right cross-section.

goose-rdf_zpsti3gmem5.jpg

Here's the pitot, which will be mounted on the starboard wing tip. Brass rod with the tip filed flat and a plastic vane epoxied on (also curing).

goose-pitot_zpsnm3y3cpc.jpg

Edited by dnl42
  • 1 month later...

Sigh...

I decided to redo the wings with NMF aluminum portions and yellow fabric as described by Dana Bell. I first made up a test article with grey, white, and yellow areas and then gave it an Alclad coat. I was hoping the Alclad over yellow would look OK, but, well, it had this green tint that was just too noticeable.

With that result, I used sanding pads to smooth down the soon-to-be NMF areas, masked the fabric wing portions and fuselage, and finally gave the wing a coat of Mr Base White 1000.

goose-rewhite_zpsmflz3e23.jpg

Tomorrow I'll rub down the new white coat and recoat with Aluminum. I'll then redo the fuselage. I decided not to change the blue.

• 4 weeks later...

Decals are on! :banana:

goose-decals1_zpsd4be3w48.jpg

According to Dana Bell, the markings were only on the fabric surfaces of the wing.

goose-decals2_zpsukcuwspn.jpg

I was quite concerned that the roundels were too large considering Czech Model would have you place them further forward. But it turns out they just fit between the aluminum leading edge and the aileron, which is consistent with the photo.

goose-decals3_zps8vw5bpre.jpg

And here's a similar angle to the photo. This allowed me to correctly position the roundel and "U.S." markings.

goose-decals0_zpsctscp8nq.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nearing the end. I added the yellow cheat stripe decals. I was originally reluctant to use the kit's versions, as the color was very different.

goose-yellowdecal_zpsd714eojc.jpg

But, it looks like local color make the difference far less clear in place.

goose-nearly0_zpswt3nvsxp.jpg

I used 6 mil ceramic wire for the float guys

goose-nearly1_zpsgg3ugxqi.jpg

goose-nearly2_zpsrkildaby.jpg

FINISHED! :nanner:

Not quite the way Czech Model envisioned it. Information provided by Dana Bell indicated the metal portions of the wing should be NMF and the cowls of this 6th Pursuit Squadron aircraft should be red.

goose-final0_zpsnao7feqs.jpg

goose-final1_zpsqe9jgdrx.jpg

goose-final2_zpsnqjwewud.jpg

goose-final4_zpsl2iseien.jpg

goose-final5_zpstx9c1btj.jpg

goose-final6_zpsqk7qltjp.jpg

goose-final7_zpslaoku2ck.jpg

goose-final8_zpsb3aodmqz.jpg

• 2 months later...