New F-106 sheet

It looks like the new Trumpeter F-106 kit is getting a positive reception in the market. The ANG F-106 sheets are going fast, and I expect them to sell out within months. I don't want to be left without an F-106 offering, so it is time to consider a third 1/48 F-106 sheet.

This will not be an ANG sheet - I already covered all ANG operators. The B-1 chase airplanes are already on the list, and I also want to do Chappie James' F-106B. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Hi;

I would like some modern decals for F-106B 58-0900 from 27th FIS, which has a really cool nose art. There is a nice color profile in the old Squadron In Action on the Delta Dart. The markings have been done before by Microscale and while I have the sheet I fear that they will most probably shatter when exposed to water, the sheet being more than 30 years old.

Cheers,

Joerg

Checked out your website, I couldn't find the ANG 106 markings.

Edit: a second look and I found them. Nice!

They are listed below - I have fewer than 30 each of them, and expect both to be gone before the end of the year; if not earlier. The third sheet will share the same common stencilling and insignia sheets, but I doubt I will ever reprint the earlier sheets.

http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48060.html

http://www.caracalmodels.com/cd48061.html

Edited by KursadA

I'd love to see 5th FIS squadron markings. As a kid visiting relatives in south-east Saskatchewan I remember the sonic booms and the odd cross border dashes of the 106's from Minot, ND. Great sights and sounds for a young aircraft nut.

Cheers,

John

If you do 5th, 84th, 87th, and 318th you will have good sales from popular subjects. If you want to be unique, go with the B-1 chase, late style 48th, and Bicentennial tail of the 49th. The two Fox One sheets have lesser known subjects including the NASA tails, but they are long gone. It would be nice to have another source for those as alternative to the beaten path.

Rick L.

I agree with Rick above, my vote is for some NASA options. Quite a few options there, not to mention some of the QF-106's or some of the test birds. Looking forward to watching this sheet develop.

David

Lots of excellent suggestions - thanks! I will be contacting some of you to ask for help with references you kindly offered. This should start taking shape toward the end of the September, and I will post updates when I start working.

49th F.I.S. Green Eagles.

Tom

Good suggestion Tom. There has actually been two sheets with those markings already. Superscale issued the first sheet with 2 F-106 schemes on it and one of them was the 49th FIS. On that sheet, the green was out of whack being too light. Superscale subsequently re-issued the sheet with only the 49th FIS on it. On this release the green is much better being more as it should be. I have both sheets but are OOP now of course so probably a good subject for Caracal.

I have photos of these aircraft when I visited Griffis ANGB way back in the 80's. Beautiful aircraft.

• 1 month later...

Not sure how far along you've gotten on the new F-106 sheet but I'll toss these guys into the pile. 27th FIS out of Loring AFB, Maine.

27th%20FIS_zpso7ykew7r.jpg

Microscale did a sheet with them a long time ago...hard to find anymore and who knows what the print quality will be like if you do find it.

27th%20FISa_zpsbf0kg99t.jpg