I didn't think I'd be able to join this group build, but I found a good deal on a 104 kit and a fellow ARCer was kind enough to send me some decals for it to build a Vietnam era Starfighter. With that, here is what I'm working with:

The Hasegawa 1/48th F-104C

20150901_070136_zpsnxfgjgr0.jpg

I'll be building it as "Sex Machine" that was based at Udorn wearing the SEA camo scheme. Here is my inspiration board:

20150901_070214_zps2yhzejg0.jpg

I can't lie, I painted the cockpit last night because I had the airbrush out and I was itching to get going.

20150831_134948_zpsxruoywm7.jpg

I've been ale to get a bunch done today since my dog decided I should be up at 6 am and I'm not working this week so I have nothing else to do today!

I was able to build up the fuselage and wings (I need some more kits that build up this easily).

20150831_150304_zpsjqhm0qou.jpg

Then I attached the instrument panel. I learnt that if you follow the directions you have to cut the control stick off to get the panel in place, then reglue the stick. Lesson learnt.

20150901_074044_zpsc2uefag6.jpg

Now I'm going to paint the Quickboost seat and do a little more body work. I might even be able to get the brown painted tonight depending on what time the Wife gets home.

Small fiasco in the paint booth today. Had the brown on then while spraying the dark green, I jiggled the paint cup too much and dumped a bunch of green on a wing. Then broke off a slat and flap trying to clean it. So, I've got a little touching up to do this afternoon instead of extra progress. I'll try and get photos up in a bit.

Small fiasco in the paint booth today. Had the brown on then while spraying the dark green, I jiggled the paint cup too much and dumped a bunch of green on a wing. Then broke off a slat and flap trying to clean it. So, I've got a little touching up to do this afternoon instead of extra progress. I'll try and get photos up in a bit.

Don't worry. You're not the only one to have done that :D Looks good so far, and I'm sure will be great once you get things cleaned up.

Thanks, I'm just glad it happened in about the best place it could have. I would have been less than pleased if I had to repaint the whole darn thing.

Here it was with just the brown on from last night:

20150902_070057_zpsbpwyk1zk.jpg

Then today after the 1st green was applied. You can see the brown area missing/messed up on the left wing. I've already reattached the slats/flaps:

20150902_095559_zpsuzhwly2y.jpg

20150902_095623_zpshwdh0mwe.jpg

This is my first SEA paint scheme so I'm trying to figure it out as I go. I'll touch up the brown this evening then hopefully paint the 2nd green tomorrow and then the gray belly on Friday.

I just got the gear put together and installed, minus tires. I'm now 2 for 2 when building a Starfighter tilted. I think I installed the main gear well slightly crooked which pushed on leg a little lower. DOH!

Don't sweat it. The real bird quite frequently was tilted when parked. With the narrow wheel tread, if it leaned on touch down or from turning during taxi in, it stayed that way after shut down until after fueling. And sometimes even after that. It was NOT due to uneven fuel load in the tip tanks. The fuel system balanced fuel in the tip tanks at all times due to the fact that too much weight in one tank would quickly lead to loss of control. The system also would automatically jettison the remaining tank or AIM 9 rail if one was lost for any reason.

Thanks guys. The major painting is now done:

20150903_144903_zpsshbxal8u.jpg

20150903_144943_zpsqfhe5iqi.jpg

20150903_145025_zpsniqicqel.jpg

Next I'll go back over everything to clean up a few areas and paint the wheel wells/landing gear. Work is about to get a lot of crazy over the next few weeks so I have a feeling this build is going to come to a screeching halt for a little while. Hopefully I'll be able to finish it up in early October. Thanks for checking in! :wave:

The mail lady brought my decals sent by the fine HaroldK today. I had them put on in no time as there weren't too many markings on the Vietnam F-104s. Then after dinner tonight I sprayed the clear coat and removed the canopy mask. I'm really happy with how it is coming out. All that is left is to put on some RBF tags, do a small amount of weathering, then take the final photos. Here's how it looks tonight:

20150908_193344_zpsntm7h1wn.jpg