No Nellis air show this year?

No, there is no show this year, as there is a base inspection that would interfere with it, probably related to the special items they have at Nellis. A Thunderbirds team member told me they would be going to every other year, but we'll have to wait and see about that. As many cities still have yearly shows, I would be surprised if Nellis makes cuts to their show.

Edited by camus27

I don't understand why they'd switch to every other year. It's the Thunderbirds' home base. It's not like they have to travel there or anything. If there's ANY bases out there that should have yearly air shows, it's Nellis and Pensacola.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

If there's any base that can't handle the operational impacts of having to stop daily flying for an airshow, it's Nellis. There is way too much going on to halt ops for an airshow.

Every other year makes excellent sense for Nellis.

Would it make sense to move the T-Birds to Edwards ?

-Gregg

I was just thinking that same thing. I can absolutely see how the operational tempo would be stunted by an air show, but at the same time, it only makes sense to have the demo teams perform at their home bases to either start or end the season. If not ED, would there be any other base that the T-Birds could move to that *could* possibly handle a yearly show.

Edited by TomcatFanatic123

I would think with all of the USAF testing, as well as contractor testing at Edwards, they would not be willing to have a show every year. I know, with the Snowbirds, they do have a Home Opener and Year End show, but they are closed shows, with only family, friends and base personnel able to attend. Holding shows every other year seems to be the current trend.

I don't believe The Ed is anywhere near as busy as Nellis is ...

I'd imagine there is plenty of airspace in the high desert for testing purposes as well as T-Birds practices ...

-Gregg

I would just guess it's not so much how much traffic Ed gets but more of what kind of traffic it gets. There may be things out there that aren't quite ready for public eyes. Just a thought.

I vote for Randolph (a lot closer for one thing. :woot.gif: )

Bill

Edited by niart17

I don't ever see the TBirds moving out of Nellis but I think it'd be a good idea. Nellis is way too busy. I don't know for sure but do the TBirds even practice there or do they depart and go on up to Indian Springs? Move them Back to Luke? Maybe to Lackland?

The Blue Angels have a pretty nice set up there in Pensacola. Not a particularly busy base, as all the pilot training actually happens about 40 miles away up at Whiting Field in Milton FL. The VT squadrons that are at NAS P-Cola train NFOs, so there's no pattern work or anything going on there. The initial aircrew training and maintenance training all happens there...Blues are a good motivator for those guys (and ladies). Then toss in the National Museum of Naval Aviation being just down the flight line, where visitors can watch practice airshows twice a week. They do two home shows a year, the July Pensacola Beach airshow and then the November Homecoming show. I don't think the public is allowed anywhere near Nellis AFB.