1/32 F-14 Tomcat- What's out there?

Trying to find out what's out there in terms of plastic kits and their pros and cons as well as avaible aftermarket decals.

Long term planing for a future F-14A in overall light gull grey of VF-1 and if there's any steam left a F-14B/D Bombcat circa 2000s before retirement.

Thanks for any info in advance!

Andy

Trumpeter and Tamiya both have 1/32nd scale kits; I'd recommend the Tamiya kit, I have a few friends who tried the Trumpy kit who had a lot of problems. Cost was another issue, the Trumpy kit is pretty expensive.

As far as the B/D goes, there is quite a bit of aftermarket conversion sets to help convert an A to either a B or D, check Sprue Brothers out. Keep in mind though that VF-1 was strictly fighter, no air to ground or TARPS capabilities prior to their disestablishment in 1994.

Hope that helps!

Also not there are 3 boxings of the Tamiya F-14. If your interested in VF-1 you probably want the earliest boxing of the Tamiya tomcats. They also have the "1994" version which has some parts for later life upgrades to the tomcats and the "black knights" version which has the bombcat parts. The original version is usually the cheapest, $75 on ebay if your patient.

Biggest problem with the Tamiya F-14 is the cockpit has little to no detail other than some decals. You can easily fix this with an aftermarket cockpit (a few options out there) also some parts has raised panel lines while others have engraved. Some choose to rescribe others just live with it.

If you don't want to spend a lot of time rescribing 3/4 of a 32nd F-14 plus grafting in an average fitting resin cockpit I would definitely go Trumpeter.

The base kit's only issue OOB is the upper and lower lips on the intakes are not parallel.

Zacto has some intakes out but they are pretty hard work to fit well due to a production issue. Given the problem is very slight and only visible if you get to eye level directly in front for most guys it hasn't been a major issue.

Some resin seats plus a little plumbing and you will have a great cockpit OOB.

The Tamiya kit is accurately shaped except for the front end again only a minor issue. However it's vacant of detail requites a huge amount of work to get anywhere near the Trump kit.

Sold my Tamiya kits off when I received my first Trump D.

If your in prison trying to pass some time then I'm sure you won't mind the hours of work rescribing it plus all the other work it requires.

Me, my time is worth way to much to spend retrieving a 1970's tooled kit...

Edited by dehowie

Wow thanks for all the quick info guys! Looks like I need to make a trip down to the LHS and feel some plastic!

Decal-wise I guess Fightertown would be the way to go??

Andy

Also not there are 3 boxings of the Tamiya F-14. If your interested in VF-1 you probably want the earliest boxing of the Tamiya tomcats. They also have the "1994" version which has some parts for later life upgrades to the tomcats and the "black knights" version which has the bombcat parts. The original version is usually the cheapest, $75 on ebay if your patient.

Biggest problem with the Tamiya F-14 is the cockpit has little to no detail other than some decals. You can easily fix this with an aftermarket cockpit (a few options out there) also some parts has raised panel lines while others have engraved. Some choose to rescribe others just live with it.

Would the early -A parts still be in the Black Knight version? Especially the early gun vents?

It's worth it just for the cockpit - especially compared to Tamiya's laughable excuse for a 'pit....

I've always loved the Revell kit. I couldn't afford the Tamiya kit when it first came out, so the Revell kit was a Godsend from a price standpoint. The general shape is correct and it has engraved panel lines. The seats in the original Revell release were very basic, but the later post Monogram merger releases had nice scaled up seats from the 1:48 Monogram Tomcat. The detail on the LG and wells was a little light, but in 1:32 present a great basis for some scratch-building.

Still have several in my stash.

Mark

Would the early -A parts still be in the Black Knight version? Especially the early gun vents?

I don't know about the Black Knight version, but when I built the 1994 boxing, the only option was the NACA vents. I was a little disappointed because it seriously limited the subject window.

Found the instructions of the Tamiya bird online. It only has the NACA inlets moulded to the fwd fus. So it looks like my choices are limited to Trumpt for the VF-1 bird as its readily available locally unless VF_1 did use the NACA birds before shutting ops. For the late 2000s B/D, would be either the Trumpt kit or Tamiya with a resin upgrade.

Tempted to go Tamiya for nostalgic reasons cos the F-14 kit was a dream kit ever since I saw a built one in a LHS when I started the hobby in the 80s :rolleyes:

Guys, I gave up on the Tamiya except for the front part/canopy because of the shape; for the rest I plan using the Trumpeter kit (so-it will be a Frankenstein Cat). That said: think about it. If Tamiya would pick up the challenge to redo this fantastic yet in 1.32 and 1.48 and give it the Viper/Corsair treatment by using current technology, they would have a HUGE seller!! Of Z-M can also try this!!

I still think the Tamiya 1/32 is a better kit overall than the Trumpeter. Yes, it requires a fair amount I work and aftermarket to get it nice but unless you're opening it up, the shape is the closest.

Only the first issue Tamiya kit has the vented gun grill. 94 and Black Knoghts releases have NACA vents plus other newer better parts.

For VF-1, they did have NACA vents from 91-93. But I don't know of any decals in 1/32 for that time period.

I still think the Tamiya 1/32 is a better kit overall than the Trumpeter. Yes, it requires a fair amount I work and aftermarket to get it nice but unless you're opening it up, the shape is the closest.

Only the first issue Tamiya kit has the vented gun grill. 94 and Black Knoghts releases have NACA vents plus other newer better parts.

For VF-1, they did have NACA vents from 91-93. But I don't know of any decals in 1/32 for that time period.

Yeah after my experience with a few Trumpt kits, not really leaning that way. What were the last sqns to fly the -B esp in OEF/OIF, since with the NACA inlets I will build the Tamiya kit as a -B as I want to have JDAMs on my Bombcat and the resin is still available.

I've got the Revell kit on the bench right now. Building the VX-4 Black Bunny. Never realized it was a temporary water based flat black paint job for an air show. I don't find the kit too bad, just a lack of details in the gear legs and seats as mentioned.

I've got a Tamiya kit still shrink wrapped, so I have no idea as to the quality of it. But I hope it's not as bad as everyone says with needing scribing.

I've got the Revell kit on the bench right now. Building the VX-4 Black Bunny. Never realized it was a temporary water based flat black paint job for an air show. I don't find the kit too bad, just a lack of details in the gear legs and seats as mentioned.

I've got a Tamiya kit still shrink wrapped, so I have no idea as to the quality of it. But I hope it's not as bad as everyone says with needing scribing.

Well I dun think the kit's bad, just kinda hard to find over here. As for the Tamiya kit, the main gripes from most people seems to be it's a child of the 80's- Lack of details in the pit, raised panel lines and min options such as dropped flaps etc... Plus the greatest sin is when Tamiya decided to upgrade the kit in the 90s, they took the easy way out and just retooled the forward fuselage, leaving the rest as it is, so you get a hybrid recessed front with raised lines everywhere else.

Still I believe fit wise it's still better than Trumpt's newer offerings and hence less hassle for people like me who prefer easy builds to super details but a wrestling match. so I most likely will go with Tamiya for the first bird I build

I'd go with the Tamiya kit. I have a bunch of no longer produced CAM, Teknics & Cutting Edge conversion & update sets for the F-14B & D if you or anyone else needs them. I also have a bunch of Yellow Hammer & other brands of Tomcat decals in 32nd. Someone could spend half a day here listing for reference all the aftermarket stuff for the Tamiya Tomcat. Check out modelingmadness,com or cybermodeler.com qs well as here for some articles for a lot of that stuff.

Edited by Gunny