Now comes all the hype, will Carolina go to the SB, can they do what NE almost did a few years ago and win the SB going 19-0 the first to do so, and duplicate the Dolphins and have an undefeated season. I think if they lose one the pressure will be off, and they can get back to playing football the way they have all year without thinking about the perfect season.

18-1 Winning the Superbowl is a lot better than 18-1 and that loss in the SB. You know that if the Panthers play the Pats in the SB, there will be enough banter and talk about that game to fill 50 sports pages and 3 SI's, and that's before the game hype starts.

Edited by #1 Greywolf

ESPN is not airing in Central Europe any more, so this and various job-related obligations are keeping me away from maintaining a closer look at the NFL this year...

But, I did catch one 'detail': what to hell is going on with SF...? Saw one of their matches lately, and couldn't recognize the team (indeed, not even the QB played as well as just two years ago)...

Cue all the Pats fans saying that going undefeated is overrated in 5..4..3..

They played the NFL's top rated defense in their home stadium, in a snowstorm, with horrible officiating, half the team on injured status and still came damned close to winning. I'm good with the results. It was a great game. Not the outcome I hoped for but it is what it is. Assuming some of the key guys are healthy for the playoffs, I'll have no concern about playing Denver the next time.

Just heard that they cut the poor schmuck who dropped that punt.

Officiating wasn't horrible. There were some missed calls and some shady calls which played into both teams hands.

The game could have gone either way, and it went the way you don't like.

Edited by jester292

I get there's a chance what I'm trying to say doesn't come across precisely, but we all know every game there are questionable calls. Last night there were several, but they actually benefited both teams. It wasn't one way officiating as the Pats fans would want us to believe.

Because that happens every game.....

And that makes it's acceptable? I'll go out on a limb and suggest that short of the time the refs were on strike and replaced by temps, the officiating is the worst in league history. Every week you read about how blown calls significantly impacted the outcome of a game (as it did Sunday night). This isn't just a pro-NE viewpoint, I'll admit that the refs blew a call during the NE vrs Buffalo game. Buffalo should have had a few seconds left on the clock to throw a hail Mary, instead the ref mistakenly kept the clock running after the Buffalo player was clearly out of bounds.

Regarding Sunday night - if you read the unbiased media (ie - not Denver or NE based), the consensus seems to be that those bogus calls hit NE the hardest.

And that makes it's acceptable? I'll go out on a limb and suggest that short of the time the refs were on strike and replaced by temps, the officiating is the worst in league history. Every week you read about how blown calls significantly impacted the outcome of a game (as it did Sunday night). This isn't just a pro-NE viewpoint, I'll admit that the refs blew a call during the NE vrs Buffalo game. Buffalo should have had a few seconds left on the clock to throw a hail Mary, instead the ref mistakenly kept the clock running after the Buffalo player was clearly out of bounds.

Regarding Sunday night - if you read the unbiased media (ie - not Denver or NE based), the consensus seems to be that those bogus calls hit NE the hardest.

In some regard, you can't hardly blame mistakes from happening...the lengths that the NFL is going to protect itself has created so many more rules that you'd honestly need a genius IQ to be a ref out there. So, yeah, you gotta pretty much factor that into any game now.

BTW...the Pats are 10 and 1 folks. I find it funny that non Pats fans honestly think us Pats fans are some how "upset". I get it, they're happy to see the Pats lose a game...guess what, still gonna win the AFC.

11bee, it doesn't make it acceptable. It means the refs aren't out to get you.

Remember the Lions getting beat by Seattle because of a missed call on the last play? It should have been a touchdown for Detroit, and a loss for Seattle. But they let it go, lions lost. That's a huge deal because we rarely get more than one win in a season. And a bigger deal because they actually made the call on a similar play from a game the previous week (involving Seattle).

Ill say it again. It happens every game. Every.

Never said there was a conspiracy by the NFL to target NE (or for that matter, Gronk). Who would believe the league could be so vindictive.

I simply am suggesting that the incompetence of the refs on Sunday had a direct impact on the outcome of the game. Certainly not suggesting that was why NE lost. Their D fell apart in Q4 and Denver kicked it into high gear.

I will say, the offensive pass interference call on Gronkowski (or however you spell his name) was bogus. When they lost him to injury shortly after, that was the second to last nail in the coffin.

Either way, Denver poured on the coals and snuck in a win.

Remember the Lions getting beat by Seattle because of a missed call on the last play? It should have been a touchdown for Detroit, and a loss for Seattle. But they let it go, lions lost. That's a huge deal because we rarely get more than one win in a season. And a bigger deal because they actually made the call on a similar play from a game the previous week (involving Seattle).

Ill say it again. It happens every game. Every.

Apparently you are correct. I'm guessing the Lions would wholeheartedly agree.