Demilitarising the 1/24 Huey

Hi folks,

A while ago a friend gave me his Monogram 1/24 Huey that he'd built as a teenager. It'll be a restoration - one seat missing, skids need replacing - and I'd like to do it as a local civil machine: http://www.heli.co.nz/history/

I'd like to do it right, so what are the obvious things I'll need to fix or change? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Hi folks,

A while ago a friend gave me his Monogram 1/24 Huey that he'd built as a teenager. It'll be a restoration - one seat missing, skids need replacing - and I'd like to do it as a local civil machine: http://www.heli.co.nz/history/

I'd like to do it right, so what are the obvious things I'll need to fix or change? Any advice at all would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, the civilian bird you linked to is a Civil Bell 204B. While it looks a bit like the US Army UH-1B, it has the long tail boom of the UH-1F to accommodate the 48ft main rotor. The UH-1B has a short tailboom and 44 foot rotor. Basically, it is very hard to get there from the 1/24 UH-1B kit. If the length difference doesn't bother you, just put unarmored civilian mesh seats in her and paint it like the civil one. You will also need to remove the ammo trays molded into the rear cabin which will create a big hole to fill, unless you ignore it as well. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Ray

My guess would be the removal of the ammo box under the rear seat, filling the feed holes and mounts for the armament, The web site for the helo company says they are former military so the pilots seats should be ok since the original model did not have armored seats, the back must have a rear facing seat as the specs from the web site say 10 passenger.

I just gave mine a civilian paint scheme

P1020443-vi.jpg

greg

Edited by GLMFAA1

Unfortunately, the civilian bird you linked to is a Civil Bell 204B. While it looks a bit like the US Army UH-1B, it has the long tail boom of the UH-1F to accommodate the 48ft main rotor. The UH-1B has a short tailboom and 44 foot rotor. Basically, it is very hard to get there from the 1/24 UH-1B kit. If the length difference doesn't bother you, just put unarmored civilian mesh seats in her and paint it like the civil one. You will also need to remove the ammo trays molded into the rear cabin which will create a big hole to fill, unless you ignore it as well. Sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear.

Ray

The description on the web page lists a rotor diameter of:

Rotor Diameter : 43 ft 3 in

and they state former military and list them as UH 1 but picture has them as 204's

which I don't understand.

greg

It would be cool to build it as the EMS helicopter from the TV show Emergency.

There was a few episodes where a UH-1 was used. Man, I wish I could find some pics!

Tim

Here's a few

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/6896205654184470/

http://ink361.com/app/users/ig-1756342272/lacountyfd/photos/ig-1005225003234591757_1756342272

I believe Season 6 episode 20 "Isolation" has a UH 1 in scene

greg

The description on the web page lists a rotor diameter of:

Rotor Diameter : 43 ft 3 in

and they state former military and list them as UH 1 but picture has them as 204's

which I don't understand.

greg

Greg,

Rotor diameter of teh UH-1B, UH-1C, UH-1E, UH-1L, UH-1M, HH-1K and TH-1L is all 44 feet. UH-1F and civil 204B as well as AB204 had 48ft rotors just like the long bodied Huey variants. Easiest way to tell the ones in the pic are 204Bs is that there are no blade counterweights on top of the rotorhead like you would see on a 44ft narrow chord main rotor.

Ray

Upon closer inspection of this photo, you CAN see blade counterweights on the bird in the back (291). So it looks like they had both civil and ex-military birds. I guess you are indeed good to go for one of their helos. I need to stop just looking at the foreground helos!

Ray

history-heli-pic.png

Edited by rotorwash

It would be cool to build it as the EMS helicopter from the TV show Emergency.

There was a few episodes where a UH-1 was used. Man, I wish I could find some pics!

Tim

This one would look cool. Cobra Company makes the firefighting water tank for it in both 1/48 and 1/72.

11377417_886668698070281_1269143872_n.jpg

ZK-HHB is the one in the background in the photo Ray posted from the Beck site, it's officially registered as a Bell (Garlick) UH-1B (s/n 65-12856). Sister ship HHF in the foreground is a Bell (Tamarack) UH-1F (63-13149).

And thanks for the advice and info, folks! Every piece helps, no matter how drastic the surgery to the kit sounds.

I think HHB was always going to be my subject, one day I was driving past and saw it sitting outside. I mustered up the courage to say hello and the owner was kind enough to let me get some photos.

A9F660B7-7C4D-44F0-A587-059A1F4B7F98_zps17irqcdv.jpg

1A0A2BE2-73D1-49CD-8203-56102A7B0D71_zpsyxuoimkf.jpg

9D8B6A94-277B-472A-8425-8E1DA849F320_zpsrsjkn03e.jpg

858C2EE7-659D-4B6D-A5AA-F7AB72EA1F46_zpsdjavbail.jpg

6873002E-CABE-4AC9-B97E-D479B3214B0D_zpsdyplhoa4.jpg

So luckily I have lots of photos for reference!

Edited by K5054NZ

Zac,

63-13149 may have started life as a UH-1F but since it identified as a Bell 204 Super Huey is has a T53L13 engine (same as UH-1H) in the photo. The UH-1F has a right handed exhaust to accommodate the GE T58 engine the USAF used in them. Good luck with the surgery! If you want an accurate build the tailboom and the rotor need lengthening. Too much work for me in 1/24 scale! Here's an F model showing the right side exhaust.

uh-1f_63-13143.jpg

Edited by rotorwash
  • 1 month later...

Thanks RW.

Another question: are there any aftermarket skids available, or will I need to scratch my own? The originals sagged and broke over the years since my friend built it, so I'm probably looking at brass at a minimum.

Any ideas?