F-14D VF-11 Light blue/dark blue topside temp scheme

EDIT sorry, misread the directions :P

Now I see it, the LIGHT blue sprayed around the cockpit and on the upper surfaces....wonder if Darren has anything on that, being our local VF-11 guru?

Edited by Andrew D. the Jolly Rogers guy

EDIT sorry, misread the directions :P/>

Now I see it, the LIGHT blue sprayed around the cockpit and on the upper surfaces....wonder if Darren has anything on that, being our local VF-11 guru?

Unfortunately, that was before my time working with VF-11. I do know they were temporary schemes, though. -11 also had a brown one. That's the first time I've seen the blue. It looks to be a variation of the Topgun splinter scheme. It doesn't look like it got put on the tails, or if it did, it wore off. Brian P might know about it. He seems to have the keys to magic Tomcat locker.

Yeah, remember seeing the blue splinter and brown desert jets at Miramar. I never got over to get any pictures except the end of the brown one sticking out from another jet in the distant background. They were painted up that way for at least a month.

Blue one is 35109 over 35450. Same as TOPGUNs splinter (but not the later 20 splinter)

Seen a few shots on the brown but only 1 or 2 of the blue. Someone in VF-11 at the time probably got a few pictures but who knows if they'll ever turn up...

The whole problem that nobody is talking about is that there is almost nothing available for markings of the three fleet F-14D squadrons between 1992-1997... not to mention VF-101 Det Miramar. You can have photographs of any of these temporary schemes (which I think are supremely awesome), but they do no good in model form if we have nothing available for markings. Personally I would love to do a VF-31 jet with the water-based applied camo, but I'm thinking my only option for decals is a Yellowhammer sheet that may or may not be close to the timeframe that we need.

Interesting fact: friends of mine who actually put the paint on those aircraft did so using the standard navy swabs (mops) to throw the paint on!

All those temporary paint jobs have the standard markings. Masked around them and then camo applied. The big problem for decal markers is that no drawings or references exist to support the painting guides and profiles...

I will say 2 words about Neekos comment :

Fightertown USA part 2 and part 3...

Interesting fact: friends of mine who actually put the paint on those aircraft did so using the standard navy swabs (mops) to throw the paint on!

Neeko, any chance your friends have any records of the camo patterns? I'm pretty sure the decal guys would jump at the opportunity to make decals for these special schemes... as Brian said, there just isn't complete info out there.

Since I do 1/32 jets and not every subject is covered, I end up doing custom decals now and again... although this is definitely not the preferred path for quality and cost reasons.

Brian, great to read that you're working on more Tomcat releases!

:cheers:

Marcel

• 3 weeks later...

The whole problem that nobody is talking about is that there is almost nothing available for markings of the three fleet F-14D squadrons between 1992-1997.

I've got some air-to-air shots of VF-2 over the Persian Gulf in early 1995.

Yeah that looks pretty wild... although if I was building an A, it would probably be building this one.

:cheers:

Marcel

THAAAANK YOU Marcel, I know they only stood up for the F-14, and got d'comd before it retired, but that wolfshead :wub: :wub: :wub: on a Tomcat is just tooooo cool, no matter the paint scheme :D B)