Here's one more of my planned builds, an 1/72 scale Italeri F-100F

DSCN4553.JPG

DSCN4554.JPG

It looks like a nice kit. I've never built any F-100, and I'm looking forward to this one :)/> It's going to be an early Wild Weasel - I'll be using Extradecal sheet for this one :)/>

DSCN4555.JPG

I just have to figure out the loadout :)/>

Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by Thadeus

Hello, Thadeus.

You'll have quite a collection after this Group Build. :thumbsup:

The F-100F in that Xtradecal profile is not a Wild Weasel. It is probably a Misty FAC, but it is not one of those (very few) Super Sabre Wild Weasels.

The F-100F's flew their last Wild Weasel missions on the 11th of July 1966. They never had the two-letter tailcodes.

The Wild Weasel F-100F's only had their serial and "USAF" on the fin.

Cheers, Stefan.

Oh bummer, I really wanted a Wild Weasel. Though FAC isn't a bad option ;) I'll have to seek more info about this jet. I'm pretty sure it should be 58-1227, one of four first Wild Weasels according to what I've found on this site

Still, big thanks for the info! I'm off to find some more ;)

Hi,

Yes, 58-1227 is indeed one of those original Wild Weasel aircraft. Interesting that this airframe continued the fight.

The first Wild Weasel missions were flown with 2 rocket pods, so pretty much the same armament as the FAC's.

The Weasels flew from December 1965 to April 1966 with just the rocket pods, in April 1966 they obtained their first Shrikes.

Cheers, Stefan.

And the work has begun. I've started by cutting slats, I'm going to glue them slightly downward, as seen on parked F-100's.

DSCN4588.JPG

After that, I've added some plastic sheet on which the cut slat will rest. As I'm not extending the slats all the way, I'm not going to try to replicate the entire mechanism.

DSCN4592.JPG

I've noticed that on most completed F-100 F kits, the seat sits very low, and the headrest is harly visible beyond the canopy line. I've dryfitted the tub, and raised it by some 2 mm. This unfortunatly means, that kit seats will not fit, they're too wide. I'll have to procure some aftermarket seats.

DSCN4591.JPG

I've also painted and assembled the cockpit. I don't like how the IP is so deep in the recess, but I will not be tackling with this anymore. No. Not even a tiniest bit. Not even as it starts to bug me. No. No?

DSCN4593.JPG

DSCN4594.JPG

After closing the fuselage halves, I've fitted the nose inlet. It doesn't fit well, and there will be some nosejob to perform.

DSCN4597.JPG

I've already blended the upper part. I'm afraid that I'll sand through the plastic on the underside, so I'll have to reshape the undersides a bit.

DSCN4598.JPG

Right now this is how it looks. I guess I'll have to go in and change the way IP's sit in the cockpit.

Thanks for stopping by :)

Hi Thadeus. I'm very interested in your progres. Your very quick, but things still look nice and neat. I wish I had your speed and precision.

Does the f-100 have the same seats as the f-101? I have some resin spares.

Gianni, knowing You it will be a real gem when finished :)

Stefan, I guess I found out that such thing start to bother me after a while. Didn't want to chop those slats as it's additional work, but I'm happy I did it. Besides I'm only repositioning them a bit :) Normally, I like to have at least three builds started at any given time. When I get fed up with sanding or filling I can go on to other model and do something else. Are You going with Italeri/Esci, or Trumpeter F-100F?

RKic I don't really know, I've ordered some F-5 seats. They look similarish to what was fitted to F-100 :) Once they arrive, I'll probably start the painting process :)

• 2 weeks later...

As with my F-104 build, the f-100 I'm still waiting for the aftermarket seats. No problem, I've cut up one canopy, I can cut up another one ;)

IMG_0158.JPG

Awaiting decals ;)

IMG_0230.JPG

I've used Extradecal paint guide, and I hope it is appropriate for the Wild Weasel. Didn't find any shots of my bird to show me otherwise.

Thanks for stopping by!

Hi,

Camo looks great to me. :thumbsup:

I've had a look at what's in the Squadron Signal book on the Wild Weasel.

The original F-100F Wild Weasels were:

58-1221 (lost in a training accident on the 13th of March 1966).

58-1226 (first Weasel to kill a SAM site on the 22nd of December 1965).

58-1227

58-1231 (shot down on 20th of December 1965).

Three replacements were sent:

58-1212 (shot down on the 23rd of March 1966).

58-1227

58-1232

It is said that 58-1221 had a set of "log periodic antennas around the nose". I do not know what these are and in the picture of 58-1221 crossing the Pacific, I can not see them.

I presume that they were pretty much flush with the fuselage and can't be seen under the camo paint.

Cheers, Stefan.

Thanks for the info Stefan. I'm going to stick with 58-1227, I've obtained Techmod decal sheet My link with black letters, and hope to source additional '2' from spares, or modify some other letters.

Got a bit of an F-100 fever... Was in my LHS this friday and I got myself this beauty:

IMG_0232.JPG

And I plan on doing it as the 56-3285. What can I say, I'm a sucker for brunettes ;)/>

IMG_0233.JPG

IMG_0240.JPG

Hell, I'm not going to start a separate thread about this bird.

This time I've decided to aproach the lowered flap issue. I've glued up the wings...

IMG_0241.JPG

... cut off the flaps and added some filler.

IMG_0244.JPG

Next was the fuselage, added some support between cockpit floor and nose wheel bay.

IMG_0242.JPG

The only issue I have right now with this F-100d are the decals. It would appear, the 56-3285 had noseart on both sides. Only pic I've found of the starboard side of the aircraft on supersabre.com shows the noseart on starboard side. My link Italeri only provided one girl. Don't really know what I'm going to do about this.

Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by Thadeus

Ah, Pretty Penny! :coolio:/>

She is the one on the banner that I made for this GB. I made the 1/72 model in 1989, it was an old Esci box with the nose art on both sides. The decal for the triangle on the tail folded on me, so that is missing.

The first time I saw an image of "Pretty Penny" was during the Open House of Chièvres AB in 1986. The Americans had beer mugs made with a drawing of 3 F-100's. I did not buy the mug, if I remember correctly all 3 of those F-100's had the art.

Thanks for the link, Thadeus. I believe it is the first time I see an actual picture of that F-100 with the art. Interesting that the girl on the starboard side seems to be facing the tail, just like on the Esci decals.

Cheers, Stefan.

Edited by Stefan buysse
  • 2 weeks later...

In the meantime I've managed to assemble the model together.

IMG_0256.JPG

And without much thought I've put some aluminum paint on it.

IMG_0286.JPG

Now the question is, should this jet have gloss, semi-gloss or matt finish? I know they were painted aluminum laquer, and on that photo I've found it looks like it's matt.

• 2 months later...

I've decaled this one, along with my F-104. I used stencil decals from Xtradecal sheet I was going to use in the begining. Serial number was applied from that Techmod sheet I bought eariler. Lining them up was quite tricky, I'm not 100% sure they're of proper size, but the bigger ones definitely too big.

IMG_0430.JPG

So I might actually finish TWO kits in 2015 yet :D

• 4 weeks later...

My F-100F is pretty much finished. I just need to take some pics of it. In the meantime, I've tried to move forward on my D.

IMG_0449.JPG

Looks much better with decals :) Of course I didn't think much when I was applying them, and added all the stencils Italeri had provided. After looking at the ref pic I started to wonder if I made a good choice. I didn't see any stenciling around the buzz number, so I removed some. It looks a little cleaner in this area now.

IMG_0455.JPG

Those bare metal areas in the back were brush painted with MM Metalizers, and before buffing I've added Tamiya blue powder to simulate overheated metal.

IMG_0456.JPG

Thanks for stopping by :)

My F-100F is pretty much finished. I just need to take some pics of it. In the meantime, I've tried to move forward on my D.

IMG_0449.JPG

Looks much better with decals :)/> Of course I didn't think much when I was applying them, and added all the stencils Italeri had provided. After looking at the ref pic I started to wonder if I made a good choice. I didn't see any stenciling around the buzz number, so I removed some. It looks a little cleaner in this area now.

IMG_0455.JPG

Those bare metal areas in the back were brush painted with MM Metalizers, and before buffing I've added Tamiya blue powder to simulate overheated metal.

IMG_0456.JPG

Thanks for stopping by :)/>

Ehi Thad,

your Hun look pretty penn....ehm sorry,pretty good!

Really great job on both birds!

Gianni

• 3 weeks later...