1/72 Hasegawa RF-101C

Here's what hopefully will become my RF-101C :)

DSCN4559.JPG

Those raised lines are a turn off, but shortly after taking those pics I've started to rescribe them.

I'm either going to use kit decals, or an old Almark sheet.

DSCN4561.JPG

I'm very excited about this build :)

Thanks guys. I was planning on doing either one of the two Tan Son Nhut based RF-101's from this Almark sheet...

DSCN4562.JPG

... or the kit decal option, I believe it's the 56-0176 "Cathy's Clown". So far I'm leaning towards the kit option, since I've found a few pics online for this bird.

My sheet shows a tail code of "AH", do you have the same?

Also I see the reference to the 154th T.R.S. Ark A.N.G. I got several shots of them while I was there. They parked by the base ops and control tower. Next to them on the right was the transit ramp.

Here's a couple inspirational shots:

scan0301.jpg

scan0078.jpg

scan0080.jpg

If you're wondering, the tail can be positioned flat or angled, it didn't seem to matter.

I've managed to rescribe almost entire model, I've left some raised lines around the exhaust. It will help me during painting and weathering this area.

DSCN4583.JPG

I really like sleek lines of an F-101. Didn't realise it was that big! I'm doing an A-4B also, and the difference in size is huge.

DSCN4586.JPG

See what I mean?

Right now, RF-101 is closed up, and I'm puttying some seams. There were some on the spine, nose, wing/fuselage joint and undersides.

DSCN4587.JPG

And one more thing, those exhausts - pretty basic inside (ie. totally bare) but I can live with it.

DSCN4582.JPG

But those seam lines... evening this out is going to be interesting ;)

A lot of fun this one is :D

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks RKic! I like all Voodoos, can't wait for the ones from Valom ;)

And so I went in and painted this beast :D

IMG_0153.JPG

I run out of 34079 in the proces, so I took some 34102 and 34087 mixed it a bit, and the result can be seen on the model. Wee bit too dark to my taste, but acceptable. Of course, only after I've painted and gloss coated the model I've found a usable bottle of 34079 :whistle:

I have decided on the kit markings. They're from 1969, and apparently, there are two variations of the scheme, easily recognised by the light gray demarcation line. Images found on Wikipedia :)

Older: My link

Newer: My link

Decaling and weathering next :)

• 2 weeks later...

My RF-101C is also done :) Such a nice aircraft (I know... I've said it before ;) )

IMG_0214.JPG

I'm not happy with yellow seal on the frame, but I'm not touching it again.

IMG_0217.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

I'm going to need a larger background...

IMG_0224.JPG

Thanks a lot for checking out my Voodoo :)

Good work. Yellow seals are a pain. I got a sheet of different thickness yellow stripe decals from Fundecal, and the thinnest is good for this kind of work. The thicker decal I cut into small squares and apply over curved corners. When dry I trim away everything that isn't seal. It doesn't always work, but its easier than trying to paint.

Thanks a lot guys.

Rkic, do You apply those decals prior to masking the canopy? I might try something like that with my Crusader and Corsair builds that I plan on starting next.

I usualy paint with Model Master Acryl, and the flat clear is of their range too. I usually thin it with tap water. Straight from the bottle it's too thick for me. Never used their gloss clear though.

no, i do it after all masking is removed. I put Future (im not sure what the equivalent product is in Poland - just look for acrylic floor wax) over the decals to get them to stay down