1/72 Hobby Boss A-7D

I associate Vietnam War with sharkmouths, and here's one of mine - 1/72 Hobby Boss A-7D, I'll be using kit decals :)

DSCN4568.JPG

In the box, this kit looks very nice, with all those sharp panel lines and nice details. The two things that are bothering me the most are the cockpit (which I'm replacing with Aires one) and the main wheels (for which I don't have any replacements right now). There are more issues to this kit, but I'm pretty much ok with them, and I hope this will not change as I go forward with this build.

DSCN4569.JPG

There sure is a lot of kits with decals for aircraft that have flown in Vietnam, isn't it?

YES!!!! Some might say I am a bit of a fan of the sharkmouth.....bordering on an unhealthy obsession....like socks....I have sharkmouth socks....I do...socks...

Edited by AVGBob

No, that was about mid year and produced some interesting results. It seemed there was some resistance to the change.I've heard that some F-4s that lost their sharkmouth got them back later and lost them again. I've seen small sharkmouths on the top of the AIM 9 rails and even show up on the F-111 ECM pods.

This shot probably was from 1973. I got there in 74 and the 354th was still there.

• 2 months later...

I've finally managed to do some proper modeling :)

I gotta say, those opened avionics (?) panels are pretty nice looking. Still, as I usually do my birds in "almost ready to go" configuration with bombs, missiles, sinks, and such, they should be closed. So I cut off the backs of avionics bays and attached panels. It still wasn't perfect, but with some putty I've managed to make it look ok.

IMG_0328.JPG

My biggest pain was to fit the resin cockpit. Still I've no idea if I fitted it right. I might be getting old, but I seem to remebmer I liked fitting resin cockpits... and those were in Hasegawa F-14's. Right now I don't.

DSCN4655.JPG

Next on the list is to eliminate seams under the fuselage, even out those on the top, smooth out the intake and fill those trenches on the wing/fuselage join. Then I'll have to figure out what bulges to fit under the belly.

I guess that's all folks ;)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Unfortunatly, I've searched everywhere for those PE parts and they are gone for good. Taking some pictures of A-7d IP as a guide, I've drilled some holes in the resin part, painted it and called it a day.

IMG_0397.JPG

IMG_0399.JPG

Yesterday I've even managed to spray some paint on this beast :) Looks pretty nice with SEA camo :)

IMG_0427.JPG

Can't wait for the decals :)

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...