Best F9F panther in 1/48??????

As I mentioned in a previous post, the real -2 was measured and the Trumpi kit corresponds to it and is actually just a tiny bit shorter but I am talking a fraction of a mm. And this post is about the -2/3 and I do not care about the 8" longer later version. This post is to build a VMF-235 F9F-2, they had no other F9Fs. Please stick to the subject.Thank you "Tailspin" for the research and info. Our research corresponds and agrees. It is interesting that the -3 which was actually a -2 with a British engine had to be later "Upgraded" to a -2 with an American engine, because of poor performance.I still do agree about the lousy canopy on the Trumpi kit. I have not yet taken a close look at the nose shape on the Trumpui kit. Once again, if it falls within my 55 tolerance for shape and dimension I will leave it alone.If not I will change it. I think that if the nose shape on the Trumpi kit was that far off, someone would have already made a resin replacement. If I find it is that far off I will take on that task as I did with the Revell PV-1 engine cowlings, Monogram, Skyraider Cowling, Hobbycraft F8F Cowling and a couple others. I send the masters to Obscureco for production. I will make a replacement nose and send it to him for production. The canopy is the one from Holland.

The -3 was not powered with a Brit Nene engine. It was powered by an Allison J33-A-8. The -2 was powered by a Pratt and Whitney J42-P-6. The thrust output of the Allison engine was 400lb less than the P&W so fewer -3's were made because of that. Some -3's were had their engines replaced with the P&W and were re-designated -2's.

As for the Trumpy nose, there is a replacement, it is the Monogram nose....and canopy and tip tanks, if you want to sacrifice one.

Edited by jpk

I found out that there is a resin nose available, the canopy is available in vac and has the proper side bulge and VMF-235 actually had most of theirs without tip tanks. There are very few pictures of these aircraft. They were all in natural aluminum and land based in CA. Sept-1952 through March-1954 El-Toro & MCAS Kaneohe

http://www.vmf235.co...ages/F9F.html#0

Edited by Otto

I think I figured out where the confusion lies with the Trumpi kit. The model has the depicted "panel line" of the 8" insert but NOT the actual length of the later model. I gus a little bit of primer to fill this panel line should do it.

I just went through all of mi books and pictures. I think I see where the main mistake lies. In the Detail & Scale book, it shows this panel line in both versions when obviously there was none in the 2/3 variant. The confusion lies in a couple bogus/misplaced panel lines on the Trumpi kit. Nothing a bit of primer/sealer wont fix. If I even bother.

Edited by Otto

I just went through all of mi books and pictures. I think I see where the main mistake lies. In the Detail & Scale book, it shows this panel line in both versions when obviously there was none in the 2/3 variant. The confusion lies in a couple bogus/misplaced panel lines on the Trumpi kit. Nothing a bit of primer/sealer wont fix. If I even bother.

I pulled out my well thumbed copy of the D&S book on the Panther and you are correct! The drawings for both the -2/3 and -4/5 have the latter's 8" insert. My mod of the Trumpeter -2 was in relation to the Monogram -5. So relatively speaking, I wanted the difference to be seen between the two models. If the Monogram -5 is short (or long) as compared to the actual aircraft it really does not matter to me. However, had I known the there was a discrepancy regarding the length of the Monogram kit. I may have tried to lengthen the Monogram Panther instead of shortening the Trumpy kit.

The fuselage extension was eight inches. The bottom of the lower rudder also extended farther aft by 2.75 inches. So the F9F-5 length was 38 feet 10 and 1/16 inches. Also see http://tailspintopics.blogspot.com/2011/05/172nd-f9f-2-panther.html

As Tommy quotes the F9F-5 Panther 38' 10 and 1/16" or 466.0625". That is from the tip of the nose back to where the bottom of the rudder. Translate that to 1/48 scale equals 9.7096" or roughly 9 and 45/64ths inches. The Monogram kit is 9 and 5/8ths inches or 9 and 40/64ths inches.

As Tommy quotes the F9F-5 Panther 38' 10 and 1/16" or 466.0625". That is from the tip of the nose back to where the bottom of the rudder. Translate that to 1/48 scale equals 9.7096" or roughly 9 and 45/64ths inches. The Monogram kit is 9 and 5/8ths inches or 9 and 40/64ths inches.

For clarification, did you measure the Monogram kit yourself or is 9 and 5/8" from my blog post?

AMTs Panther--no one has mentioned it and I've heard it's not good but no reasons why.

Why?

Not sure about the outline/shape and even scale but it is definitely bare-bones. It might make a good blank canvas. Most of these AMT kits are VERY old. Just like the old Hawk/Testors kits.

For clarification, did you measure the Monogram kit yourself or is 9 and 5/8" from my blog post?

Sorry for the late reply Tommy. It is 9 and 5/8ths according to my tape measure and ruler. I even pulled out my digital micrometer to check and make sure my ruler had accurate markings on it.

Edited by jpk

AMTs Panther--no one has mentioned it and I've heard it's not good but no reasons why.

Why?

I had one many years ago, late 1980's. It was hard to find back then as it had been OOP for a number of years by then. It originally came out in the early 70's if I recall correctly possibly very late 60's. AMT ran a small number of 1/48 scale kits back then which included a Hawker Tempest and a Gloster Meteor. I never did compare it to any references but as I recall it was a very basic kit with a seam line that ran through the bottom of the main wing's control surfaces. According to D&S's model section in Bert's book on the Panther aside from weird seam locations it's too fat and the guns are too long. The detail parts are "crude" and that it would be better to start with one of the other "1/48" Panther kits. Back then when the book was published meaning either the old HAWK or Revell kits. The Monogram F9F-5 had not been released at the time of publication which is copyrighted in 1983.

Sounds like AMTs Panther would be a good starter for newbies, especially young'uns. Then they can progress to the better Panthers and see their skills develop.

There is an online review, Scalemates I think, that shows just how bad the kit is.

• 3 years later...

I noticed that the Vac-form canopy is once again no longer available for this kit. A accidentally crushed mine and now I'm screwed. I attempted to contact PJ Production in Belgium and never received a reply about the canopy. Don't know what I am now going to do. 

4 hours ago, Otto said:

I noticed that the Vac-form canopy is once again no longer available for this kit. A accidentally crushed mine and now I'm screwed. I attempted to contact PJ Production in Belgium and never received a reply about the canopy. Don't know what I am now going to do. 

Trumpeter or Monogram?

I am just looking for a good, properly shaped canopy for my F9F. I accidentally crushed my PJ canopy and the kit canopy I have is way off in shape. I don't know if the Monogram canopy could be made to fit the Trumpeter but I believe it is of good shape. MUCH better than the Trumpeter one.