1/48 Hasegawa F-4E TuAF SEA

After nearly a year of work, I finally finished this model. Aires cockpit and nozzles, Eduard 1/72 RBF tags, sparrows from HB Tomcat, Gunze and Tamiya paints. The most time consuming part was the rivet work. It is tedious but doable. The whole build was definitely a lot of fun. Many people helped along the way. ARC member Pete kindly sent me the ALQ-119 pod and the Mk.82s with their decals. Kursad (KursadA) had printed the necessary numbers and crew names a few years ago using his Alps printer. A big thank you goes to him for making those for me. Many stencils and other decals are from my spares box. Kursad also sent me the port side TER (though I don't know which kit it came from).

Work in progress

Final studio photos

As always, I am open to all critiques and suggestions.

IMG_7783.JPG

IMG_7772.JPG

IMG_7771.JPG

IMG_7792.JPG

IMG_7791.JPG

IMG_7787.JPG

Edited by Janissary

The only suggestion I can afford to give you is to continue to make fine workmanship models like the one you just completed.

Your wip was great and I think that all of your players, I for one, have learned something from you.

My most sincere congratulations :thumbsup:

Thank you very much Vincenzo, Adam. I sometimes feel I repeat all too well known techniques in my WIP posts, but I am glad if you can find something new from time to time. Also, I forgot to mention above but the loadout is fictitious.

Edited by Janissary

Thank you very much everybody. I am so glad that I was able to finish this before any rumors about the Academy F-4E started circulating around. That would've killed my mojo big time! Now this build is complete, I can't wait for an Academy E and Kursad's new THK F-4E decals!

Janissary,

Amazing build! Your craftsmanship, level of finish as well as presntation, all top notch :thumbsup: . The only thing bugging me is the AIM-9's and the ECM pod. Every part of your F-4 seem to had been treated a certain level of weathering. From the nozzles, to the drop tanks, to the wheels. But not the AIM-9's or ECM pod. I guess they look too clean compare to the overall level of finish. Just needs some sign of wear and tear. Again, wonderful build :worship: Love the paint work :wub:

What's next?

Steven L :wave:

Edited by FAR148

Just about flawless..

The one thing that caught my eye however are the fins on the AIM-9. They are a bit thick, which is at odds with the fine details of the rest of the build. But I am sure it is one of those details that is only really apparent on close up photos.

I love the heavy weathered and asymmetrically painted fuel tanks. It really looks like the tanks and the aircraft are separate entities brought together on the flight line rather than the permanent fixture it appears to be when the tanks and aircraft are painted and weathered exactly the same.

Very nice work!

Thank you very much guys. I very much appreciate appreciate the feedback and the compliments. I hear what you're saying about the winders and the ECM pod. I have never thinned down missile fins but looking back that would have been a good idea. For weathering, I'd tried to apply a filter like so:

IMG_7540.JPG

But the cleanup did not leave much of dirt or grime. Well after they were done, I was thinking similar to Erik in that perhaps it is better that they don't match the weathering on the airframe (see the sparrows under the belly). But independent of the airframe, they do look too clean to me too.

My next project will be a WP T-38 in Turkish markings (Caracal decals). I want a therapy build (simple construction, fun painting) for my next project and from what I have read so far, WP's Talon fits the bill perfectly.

• 1 year later...

Holly Smokes, Janissary. You are the God! Amazing build...I am totally speechless. 

I am just puzzled why the Turkish flag on the starboard side of the vertical stabilizer is reversed!

Edited by MiG Hunter
34 minutes ago, MiG Hunter said:

I am just puzzled why the Turkish flag on the starboard side of the vertical stabilizer is reversed!

according to dedicated technical order, open side of the crescent have to look at the tail of all turkish aircraft... not only for military types, but also  for civil and government use...

Thank you very much everybody, I appreciate it. I am now eagerly waiting for ZM's F-4D for another SEA Phantom! As for the starboard Turkish flag, yes it does seem a little odd at first, and perhaps even upside down, until one realizes the flag is symmetrical across the horizontal half plane! It was decaling of this sort that helped me realize this about the flag. 

• 1 month later...